How are people raised to act like this?? (WARNING LANGUAGE)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
[yt]S6IqHnW4Lnk[/yt]

WARNING LANGUAGE

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2011/03/24/bikini-brawler-starts-riot-burger-king

A cell phone camera captured the action in the Panama City Beach Burger King on Front Beach Road Saturday, as a crowd of tourists nearly rioted at the restaurant.

Employees dialed 9-1-1 for help, as one bikini-clad woman, later identified as Kimesia Smith of Montgomery, Ala., jumped up on the counter and threw a charity coin jug at employees, and 3 of Smith's friends also began throwing napkins, utensils, and trays throughout the location.

Unfortunately I see more and more of this sort of public behavior...encouraged by people standing by. The subway attack video of a few months ago comes to mind too. What would you do if you were scarfing down a trippleheartattackburger and THAT started happening?

And whats up with all the video taking? Is it a sign of the times that bystanders would rather "tape than fight"? Does that encourage the bad behavior? If it's a friend of the the lawbreaker, what does it mean that people are so emboldened that they brazenly post their/their friend lawbreaking activity for the world to see?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
[yt]S6IqHnW4Lnk[/yt]

WARNING LANGUAGE

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2011/03/24/bikini-brawler-starts-riot-burger-king

Unfortunately I see more and more of this sort of public behavior...encouraged on by people standing by. The subway attack video of a few months ago comes to mind too. What would you do if you were scarfing down a trippleheartattackburger and THAT started happening?

piles of crap the lot of them.
what would I do? depends on the situation, and where I am
Panama City has been having a crazy spring break, I had friends that went down there, I guess its been pretty out of control. That entire group deserves to be beaten down almost to the point of hospitalization though, that unfortunately is going to be the only thing that will change their behavior... I am pretty sure this group would be unswayed by going to jail, or getting ticketed... When the police, fines, inprisonment, does not effect a person and cause them to take pause before doing thigns like this, then either the punishments need to be increased, or the *** whupping needs to commence.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
And whats up with all the video taking? Is it a sign of the times that bystanders would rather "tape than fight"? Does that encourage the bad behavior?

I can only see it as a good thing that bystanders would prefer to tape rather than join a riot.

You never really know what their motivations are. Could be friends taping for all to see. Could be unrelated bystanders taken in by the spectacle. Or it could be bystanders trying to be good witnesses and taking video for later use by law enforcement to catch and charge the perpetrators. No way to tell, no reason to judge negatively beforehand. The proliferation of phone cameras has brought to light and seen punished many injustices which might have slipped under the radar without such clear evidence.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The video taking could help when the case goes to court. If an encounter is violent, is it the best thing to get involved physically. You can go from helping out to being served a lawsuit, and losing everything you have. Wouldn't it be better to call 911 and video tape the event and only intervene if it is life threatening?

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can only see it as a good thing that bystanders would prefer to tape rather than join a riot.

You never really know what their motivations are. Could be friends taping for all to see. Could be unrelated bystanders taken in by the spectacle. Or it could be bystanders trying to be good witnesses and taking video for later use by law enforcement to catch and charge the perpetrators. No way to tell, no reason to judge negatively beforehand. The proliferation of phone cameras has brought to light and seen punished many injustices which might have slipped under the radar without such clear evidence.

I meant "tape rather than fight" in the sense of "fight the good fight"/help/try to intervene. Not that I recommend that, but I would respect it more than giggling and taping.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The video taking could help when the case goes to court. If an encounter is violent, is it the best thing to get involved physically. You can go from helping out to being served a lawsuit, and losing everything you have. Wouldn't it be better to call 911 and video tape the event and only intervene if it is life threatening?

Or you could get a beat down for taping the crime.

I would suggest what you just said (don't get physically involved unless necessary), of course, but it seems like a sign of the times that few...if any..would even intervene even in life threatening situations. Let an old lady get mugged? "Well her life wasn't in danger."

Theres more you could do to intervene than punching people too...a loud "IM CALLING 911!!!" or "STOP!" is intervening as well.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[yt]S6IqHnW4Lnk[/yt]

WARNING LANGUAGE

Unfortunately I see more and more of this sort of public behavior...encouraged by people standing by. The subway attack video of a few months ago comes to mind too. What would you do if you were scarfing down a trippleheartattackburger and THAT started happening?

And whats up with all the video taking? Is it a sign of the times that bystanders would rather "tape than fight"? Does that encourage the bad behavior? If it's a friend of the the lawbreaker, what does it mean that people are so emboldened that they brazenly post their/their friend lawbreaking activity for the world to see?

Like TF said, the people involved are nothing but trash. But to answer your questions...

What would I do? I'd get up and get the hell out of there. Once away from the chaos, I'd most likely call the cops and tell them whats going on, give any info I can, etc.

On the video taking...I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the tapers probably think it was funny, and would most likely repost on YT. OTOH, in addition to that, if/when the cops finally arrive, I'd imagine the taping would continue, for reasons that you and I already know. :)

Does it encourage bad behavior? The taping? Sure, I'd say it does. Its their claim to fame, while it lasts.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought segregation was a thing of the past in the South?

Whilst I wasn't paying that much attention, being too busy being disgusted-of-Hemel-Hempstead by such behaviour, I didn't see a single white person in the place? Is this normal?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Whilst I wasn't paying that much attention, being too busy being disgusted-of-Hemel-Hempstead by such behaviour, I didn't see a single white person in the place? Is this normal?

Depending on the specific area, yes, it can very well be quiet normal.

And yes, the South is desegregated.
I didn't see a whole lot on the video that would tell me who was there. I am glad the picture was small, or I am afraid I would have been motion sick.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/youtube/more-nekiva-hardy-475985

update

"While admitting to battering one Burger King employee and giving police a phony name, the Alabama woman whose videotaped spring break outburst has become a YouTube hit said today that she believes prosecutors have overcharged her in reaction to news coverage of the incident."

:lfao:

yeah, about par for the course...sheesh, gotta love Alabama, Sweet Home....

But to answer the original answer:
In that scenario Nike-jutsu would have been the preferred method of handling this scenario.
Heaven knows what brought that tantrum on...'Ma'am, can you please put your shirt and shoes on?'

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe she was just exercising her First Amendment right of freedom of speech with excessive exhuberance.
icon10.gif

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

De jure yes, de facto no. This is true in places all across the nation.

Although would you find it unusual or remarkable if a video of a riot in a Nebraska Burger King had only white people in it?

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is spring break in Panama Beach Fla...although I don't think SHE is a college student.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
De jure yes, de facto no. This is true in places all across the nation.

Although would you find it unusual or remarkable if a video of a riot in a Nebraska Burger King had only white people in it?

I know I would :D

Also, Spring break, maybe once a college domain, like so many other things has devolved into a big party. The big to-do in Atlanta (Freak Week?) has deteriorated into something outright dangerous a few years back. I am not keeping up with the news much, not sure how the support for it still is.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I meant "tape rather than fight" in the sense of "fight the good fight"/help/try to intervene. Not that I recommend that, but I would respect it more than giggling and taping.
How about just using the damn cell phone to CALL THE POLICE rather than video record the incident?!

I've never said that the only way to help is to physically or directly. Calling the police, getting help started can be the best help you can be. Even first responders like fire & rescue or police are taught that there are times where the best thing you can do is to back out and get the right help rather than adding to the casualty list.

As to the proliferation of "celebration" riots that destroy school campuses or cities, of stupid fights like this... it's simple. Over the last 10 or 20 years, we as a culture have decided to reward and praise it with attention rather than punish the people. It'll turn around, and I suspect it's beginning to now.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
update

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/youtube/bk-brawler-arrested-876409

The BK Brawler is behind bars.
Nekiva Hardy, the Alabama woman who was videotaped busting up a Burger King during a spring break trip to Florida, was arrested this afternoon by cops in her hometown of Montgomery, Alabama and jailed without bond in advance of her expected extradition to the Sunshine State.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
update

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/youtube/bk-brawler-arrested-876409

The BK Brawler is behind bars.
Nekiva Hardy, the Alabama woman who was videotaped busting up a Burger King during a spring break trip to Florida, was arrested this afternoon by cops in her hometown of Montgomery, Alabama and jailed without bond in advance of her expected extradition to the Sunshine State.

WOW!! Looking at that mug shot...what a class act! LMFAO!! And 30yrs old to top it off!!!! In her trash bag words.."**** them!" Umm...no, sorry trash bag, it looks like the cops are the ones that're doing the ****ing now! LOL! If we're lucky, this garbage will be locked up for a few years. Something tells me though that when she gets out, she'll still be a dirtbag.

Latest Discussions