Horrific Karate referee

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You let the Hung-Ga people jump into the fray and someone will get a broken nose! No joke! That's right, good that they were "play" weapons and not the real broadswords and all!

Haha! That reminds me of a story that someone told on youtube -- he was at a tournament with none other than the great GM Parker, and a melee broke out! The escrima people were beating others with their sticks! The police were called. Nobody messed with the American Kenpo people, though! The story goes that they took one look at the patch on their uniform and then left them alone!

Also, I like the term 'cybernaut'!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:bs1:

Was it an EPAK guy telling the story? ;)

I have found the video here. You can view it for yourself devoid of my interpretaton:

I have been told other stories about people backing off of the kenpo guys at open tournaments, because the practice nasty techniques, not only for competition, but they regularly practice all sorts of nasty ways, eye gouges, kicking to knees, and so on, That is in the curriculum! And so, people do not want trouble with them.

You can judge this for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doh! Perhaps I was wrong on one point... you must read the following comment, the last one on the page:

Hi Lee
I remember the event well I can also remember the offending instructor and the ranting and raving. I was standing between him and the kids. He swore at the kids looked at my patch and turned away quickly into the crowd. Powerfull patch saved the kids that day.
Mark...take care.

So, it may not have been true. I cannot say, of course, either way. I was not there.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it looked to me like the guy in the white swung the first late hit, and the guy in black retaliated for that.

But, dang, that looked like a tough tournament didn't it! no gloves, full contact to the face... and those guys are underbelts too.
That was another thing about the video that got me saying ??HUH?? full blown contact, full force, no gloves or pads at all and a hard floor to boot. Seems to me this isn't a regular tournament or at least a sparring match.
Something isn't-just-quite-right here.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That was another thing about the video that got me saying ??HUH?? full blown contact, full force, no gloves or pads at all and a hard floor to boot. Seems to me this isn't a regular tournament or at least a sparring match.
Something isn't-just-quite-right here.

You can see point flags of the corner judge in the side of the picture, they are signalling after a clash and a "solid point" (however they are defining that) is scored. Must be nice to live in a country where lawsuits aren't considered a career choice.

Lamont

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah - if you watch the match, the referee is in control through the entire proceeding, and there don't appear to be any warnings/deductions given. whatever the 'rules' might have been, it appears they were (mostly) being followed.

In the longer version of the same bout , showing 3+ minutes instead of just the final few seconds, it becomes clearer that rules, points, scoring were all being obsereved. Several times a player turned his back on the other and the fight did NOT continue. At the very end, it appeard that one player turned his back, but then turned back into the fight, which is when the final altercation ensued.

OP
A

AndyM

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was talking to an older Karateka who 'knows' Nakamura last night.

He said that clip is from about 10 years ago, but he'd not heard about the incident.

What he did say, was that it was completely out of character with the man that he knew, so something must have made him flip.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was talking to an older Karateka who 'knows' Nakamura last night.

He said that clip is from about 10 years ago, but he'd not heard about the incident.

What he did say, was that it was completely out of character with the man that he knew, so something must have made him flip.

yea like maybe he was late getting his meds,,,:headbangin:

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he's still in the organization, the organization deserves nothing but contempt, derision and hostility from ethical people. If he hasn't done time, well, the Mexican justice system has its problems. If relatives of the kid haven't had him shanked or shot he should light up a bushel basket of incense to Compassionate Kwan Yin because he's living on borrowed karma.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If he's still in the organization, the organization deserves nothing but contempt, derision and hostility from ethical people. If he hasn't done time, well, the Mexican justice system has its problems. If relatives of the kid haven't had him shanked or shot he should light up a bushel basket of incense to Compassionate Kwan Yin because he's living on borrowed karma.

you know, you have a good point there:pirateph3

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of the situation or the relationship between the referee and the student that was a gross over reaction by the ref and he should have been arrested. It was assault pure and simple. I would have charged him and sued him,

Cheers
Sam:asian:

OP
A

AndyM

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What I got from the chap who 'knew' Nakamura was along the lines of;

Nakamura speaks Spanish fluently.
He's not just a Japanese tourist there, he's lived in Mexico for aeons.
Something was said, along the lines of 'bugger your mother', which he wasn't expected to understand.
Also, he's 'old school', apparently this kind of thing used to be a lot more common.

What I like, is how effective he was.
Bang bang bang Job done.
Not condoning it.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
quite unfair, so not a big challenge, but he did really kick that guys ***. the victim,in my opinion, truly does have a wrong attitude about karate. because, the last swing where he tried to hit the opponent, it seemed like he was trying to hit with all his force. that is not correct. in karate, they stress control. this is not only to avoid injuries, but also a matter of attitude. someone that goes all out in a competition is displaying a spirit that is very easily crushed in the face of real aggression.

still it would have been a little more fair if the ref had at least let a kiai or something to at least somehow get his attention or communicate the feelings before walking up and smacking him down completely out of the blue-

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok,
Anyone who has ever been center ref at a tourny has more than likely had to jump in-between two people who just didnt listen when you called "BREAK"....

But this is retarded.

If the guy in Blue had attacked the ref, that would be different.

As is? ref needed a butt kicking and/or jail time.

Latest Discussions