Honorary Rank

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a very interesting thread. Please help me understand a little better though. A college degree is earned, a nobel prize is awarded without a person completing a specific cirriculum.

While a nobel prize is not rank, when someone says "nobel prize winner" it seems to say something about the winner. It certainly is an honor.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Frame it, hang it on the wall and be proud of it, sure. Wear it? Hell no. You may have earned the respect, but, you didn't earn the rank.

It depends - to me, at least - on who is awarding, and why. I have received far too many mail offers, in both MA and education, offering to place me in various "best of" or "women of" or other compilation of supposed honors... for a small fee "to cover the cost of the book". Nonetheless, despite the "honor", those who don't pay for the book, or belt, or certificate, aren't "honored". That type of rank I am not interested in.

If someone I respect offers me honorary rank, I would consider it - but I would not automatically accept it. It would depend on whom, and why.

This is a very interesting thread. Please help me understand a little better though. A college degree is earned, a nobel prize is awarded without a person completing a specific cirriculum.

While a nobel prize is not rank, when someone says "nobel prize winner" it seems to say something about the winner. It certainly is an honor.

The Nobel Prize has very specific criteria for being awarded, which can be found here. It is awarded for actions that go beyond what is expected of most people - but it is not a degree; thus there is no curriculum. The two are not comparable.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To each his/her own. For myself, I personally wouldn't want it. Some could say that its a token of thanks for doing something for the art, so the people in the art give you the honorary rank. But IMO, why would you want to wear something or advertise something that you really have no background in? I mean, what happens when someone asks you a question? Are you going to make something up? Are you going to be honest and tell the person that you really don't know anything about the art? Making something up isn't good, especially if the person you're talking to knows something about the art in question. If you're honest, I'd imagine the person would wonder why you're accepting something that you know nothing about.

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To each his/her own. For myself, I personally wouldn't want it. Some could say that its a token of thanks for doing something for the art, so the people in the art give you the honorary rank. But IMO, why would you want to wear something or advertise something that you really have no background in? I mean, what happens when someone asks you a question? Are you going to make something up? Are you going to be honest and tell the person that you really don't know anything about the art? Making something up isn't good, especially if the person you're talking to knows something about the art in question. If you're honest, I'd imagine the person would wonder why you're accepting something that you know nothing about.

Mike

Mike you and I are on the same page.
icon14.gif

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mike

There are all kinds of plaques, trophies, and "certificates of appreciation" that can be given to those who are very supportive of a martial art system or it's people.
There is no need to give them something that is usually earned thru years of regular physical training and testing.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A school associated with mine back in Nebraska, offered an honorary black belt to a 18 year old who was diagnosed with cancer. When he was diagnosed he was 3 months away from testing and he passed away (if i recall correctly) with in 6 months of diagnoses. It was offered when it became apparent that he would no longer be training, or see his 19th birthday.

My thoughts are accept it if you feel its worth it, but do not wear it.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A school associated with mine back in Nebraska, offered an honorary black belt to a 18 year old who was diagnosed with cancer. When he was diagnosed he was 3 months away from testing and he passed away (if i recall correctly) with in 6 months of diagnoses. It was offered when it became apparent that he would no longer be training, or see his 19th birthday.

My thoughts are accept it if you feel its worth it, but do not wear it.

This is a totally different case. This student put in the training and testing time over a period of years to get within 3 months of black belt testing. More then likely, he was already qualified to be a black belt, and the black belt test would have just been a formality. No way would his promotion be considered "honorary".
Many schools do not hold formal tests. They feel that a student is being tested every time they train. And when they have put in the proper amount of time, and showed the proficiency for the next rank, they are promoted.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
From my organization's bylaws concerning Honorary Rank:
Honorary Belt Ranks:
1. From time to time individuals who are physically or mentally incapable of demonstrating the required curriculum to pass belt level examinations may be granted an Honorary Belt Ranking from UMASDA. Honorary Rankings will be limited by the following:
1. Approval of the UMASDA Executive Committee.
2. Limitations:
a. No promotion or teaching authority.
b. May not sit on promotion boards.
c. Not an official ranking, given for time and service to school.
3. Honorary Black Belt Uniform:
a. Black Pants.
b. Black Jacket.
c. Black Belt with White Stripe running the entire length of the belt.

From the Honorary Black Belt Certificate (Note: Certificate, not Diploma...as the rest of the belts are given with) :

By Authority of the UMASDA Headquarters, the following Honorary Ranking is granted in recognition of the contributions and support this person has provided. This certificate confers no inference of rank, skill, knowledge, or authority. The bearer of this certificate is recognized for his/her contributions to the UMASDA organization.

The Honorary Certificates from my organization do not have any style name listed.

Reaction score
I know a woman who was a top female competitor in the late 70s, early 80s. She has not trained since the early 80s when an accident and illnesses left her paralyzed and wheelchair bound. However, for 20 some odd years, nearly 30, she has remained a vibrant part of the organization to which she is connected, attending gatherings, offering support, telling great stories, basically doing whatever she can to remain a part of a lifestyle that was her love.

So, about 4 years ago when she was awarded her 3rd degree black belt after having not physically trained, or even walked, for 20 years, no one in attendance felt that the award in any way "lowered" any one else's achievement. On the contrary, although she cannot train, she lives a life that, in the opinion of most who know her, exemplifies what it means to be a martial artist.

Dave,
In my estimate, in the example you gave above the rank was NOT honorary but earned according to HER POTENTIALS TO EARN.

I have one client that's been with me for years. Suffered 3 major heart attacks 2 years back. Can not take the pressure of groups, nor of sparring. The consequences, he might die. So he does 2 privates every week, and continues with his training his way.

His ranks are also NOT honorary...and in fact probably knows more than those that only attend groups.

Sorry if I digressed off topic, but I was attempting to add clarity to "special circumstances and hononary".

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Latest Discussions