Home training for beginner?

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just started training Muay Thai but can only make it to two or three classes a week. What can I do to bring my training home with me? I don't have any equipment and because I live in an apartment any type of training bag is out of the question. I've been shadow boxing to practice the techniques I have learned so far as well as pushups, crunches, etc to get in shape.

Is there anything else I could be doing?

This question may be a little premature as my second class is tomorrow, but I want to do what I can to get through this first stage of conditioning as quickly as possible.

Thanks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started training Muay Thai but can only make it to two or three classes a week. What can I do to bring my training home with me? I don't have any equipment and because I live in an apartment any type of training bag is out of the question. I've been shadow boxing to practice the techniques I have learned so far as well as pushups, crunches, etc to get in shape.

This question may be a little premature as my second class is tomorrow, but I want to do what I can to get through this first stage of conditioning as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Without any equipment at home, you're probably going to be limited as far as striking things goes. However, you could purchase some equipment, ie: pads, gloves, etc, and workout with a training partner. Perhaps theres someone from your club who'd be willing to workout with you, outside of the class.

You could show up to class early or stay late, and get in some extra training, if that was possible.

Of course, I'd continue to do what you can on your own, conditioning wise, ie: running, pushups, situps, etc.

OP
H

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Without any equipment at home, you're probably going to be limited as far as striking things goes. However, you could purchase some equipment, ie: pads, gloves, etc, and workout with a training partner. Perhaps theres someone from your club who'd be willing to workout with you, outside of the class.

You could show up to class early or stay late, and get in some extra training, if that was possible.

Of course, I'd continue to do what you can on your own, conditioning wise, ie: running, pushups, situps, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I will be purchasing gloves, pads, etc within the month. But my gym is an hour away, so I'm not sure how many members, if any, are in my area.

I do have a friend who had been interested in Muay thai longer than I have. Maybe I could convince him to start taking classes so I have someone to train with outside of class.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know if Muay Thai has 'kata' or 'forms' so I have no idea what to suggest. I do traditional Okinawan karate, and we have 'kata' and basic exercises, which I practice at home. Also, skip rope if you can in your apartment. Increases...well, everything...especially when you start doing rope tricks with a jump rope. Amazing what it does for your speed and agility. Seriously. Very overlooked exercise anyone can do at any level.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thanks
Consider no one will be there to tell you your stances suck; so, I'm here to tell you your stances suck. Bend your knees a little once in a while Pal., and get that butt under your spine! And above all, stop leaning into the strikes!:)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Muay Thai is very physical, so anything you do to enhance your endurance will help. Ask some of the other people in class if they train on their off class days. Good luck.........

OP
H

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Consider no one will be there to tell you your stances suck; so, I'm here to tell you your stances suck. Bend your knees a little once in a while Pal., and get that butt under your spine! And above all, stop leaning into the strikes!:)

Haha, you know me too well!

Today I shadow boxed for about an hour and compared myself to tiger Muay thai vids. The main thing I focused on was not leaning into the strikes. I'm sure my trainer will have plenty more to point out to me tomorrow.

OP
H

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bill:
I've tried jumping rope in my apartment before but my ceiling is low and I end up hitting it with the rope. I suppose I could do it outside in the yard though.

Seasoned:
The physicality of Muay Thai is one of the reasons I was drawn to it. What do you suggest for building up endurance?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill:
I've tried jumping rope in my apartment before but my ceiling is low and I end up hitting it with the rope. I suppose I could do it outside in the yard though.

Seasoned:
The physicality of Muay Thai is one of the reasons I was drawn to it. What do you suggest for building up endurance?

If the rope is hitting the ceiling, either you are very tall or your rope is too long or your ceilings are very low!

Endurance:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4978589_martial-arts-warrior-training-jump.html

Last edited by a moderator:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I will be purchasing gloves, pads, etc within the month. But my gym is an hour away, so I'm not sure how many members, if any, are in my area.

I do have a friend who had been interested in Muay thai longer than I have. Maybe I could convince him to start taking classes so I have someone to train with outside of class.

Glad I could offer some help. :) Given that this will only be your 2nd class, once you start chatting with other people there, perhaps you could set up a mutual location, maybe somewhere not too far for everyone to travel, and workout. :)

Good luck to you in your training. :)

OP
H

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Road work (running), shadow boxing, jumping rope, push ups, sit ups, free squats (squating without weights), practicing kicks outside/inside, etc. Lot's of things you can do that will help you improve and the more you train with your trainer you will see even more that you can do at home. Still it would help a lot if you had a heavy bag! ;)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where your class is in comparison to the apartment, but if it is within jogging distance great. If not, maybe investing in a bike would do it.

OP
H

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure where your class is in comparison to the apartment, but if it is within jogging distance great. If not, maybe investing in a bike would do it.

My gym is an hour drive away, or about 50 miles. Even if I was fit enough to make the ride I wouldn't have the time. It would be really nice to live within 15 miles of my gym, but unfortunately I've got to work with what I've got.

OP
H

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Road work (running), shadow boxing, jumping rope, push ups, sit ups, free squats (squating without weights), practicing kicks outside/inside, etc. Lot's of things you can do that will help you improve and the more you train with your trainer you will see even more that you can do at home. Still it would help a lot if you had a heavy bag! ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

It would be great to have a heavy bag. Maybe I could find a used outdoor bag and see if I could convince a friend to let me set it up in their yard.

OP
H

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Alright, I think I may be able to set something up in a friends yard in the back corner where it won't be in the way. Would a regular heavy bag stand up to the weather? I would take it in during the winter, but it would need to hold up to rain storms and such. Any other suggestions for what could work? Maybe tie some padding to the side of a tree...?

The only thing is that it needs to be fairly affordable. Under $100 preferably.

Thanks

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

It would be great to have a heavy bag. Maybe I could find a used outdoor bag and see if I could convince a friend to let me set it up in their yard.

That would definitely be a great way to go. Just make sure you buy a good Muay Thai Bag!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I would get the best bag I could for around $100 to $200 you should be okay. Since it will be outside go vinyl instead of leather. Just understanding that it will not last forever because it is outside. The most important thing is you want a bag that will allow you to do low leg kicks as that is very important in Muay Thai. So you want a bag that allows that!

Latest Discussions