Home gym equipment for taekwondo.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
While there are pros and cons to all of the options, the wavemaster is certainly a viable striking target and a useful training tool.

What do you think of the TKD wavemaster, with the angled sides? I've never tried one of those, only the regular wavemaster and a BOB.

For me, if I could have only 1 thing, I'd be tempted to get the BAS pads (which I have also never tried). Second on my list would be a BOB (which I currently have). For the money though, I like the wavemaster: people are always selling them used for $70-90. I used to have a heavy bag, but now that I moved I got rid of it: suspending it is much trickier than using a wavemaster.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the TKD wavemaster, with the angled sides? I've never tried one of those, only the regular wavemaster and a BOB.

For me, if I could have only 1 thing, I'd be tempted to get the BAS pads (which I have also never tried). Second on my list would be a BOB (which I currently have). For the money though, I like the wavemaster: people are always selling them used for $70-90. I used to have a heavy bag, but now that I moved I got rid of it: suspending it is much trickier than using a wavemaster.

I don't see any huge advantage to the cone-shaped bag, especially at the $80-$100 extra cost involved. As far as freestanding bags go, I prefer the economy and simplicity of the standard wavemaster for most training. I'd use the TKD Wavemaster if someone donated it, but since it costs about the same as the basic BOB, I'd go that route instead. BOB is more rigid, and striking him his more like the impact on a hanging bag or a real person, plus he has nifty anatomical targets.

I really really like the VS BOB (with arms and legs) and the BAS system. I've had the opportunity to smack them around, and I think they're great. But at about $500 and $600 respectively, they're not likely to be found in our non-profit school unless I find them cheap on Craigslist.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
$_35.JPG

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, the big pros of a wavemaster are:
- easy to move around the room (e.g., can be put in the corner when not in use)
- no need to mount to joists and posibbily damage the joists

The cons are:
- it can move during a hard kick like a back kick
- the base could leak, which, if filled with water, could be a problem.
- the height adjustability may not be enough for you.

A heavy bag can be hit as hard as you want, but you have to worry about mounting it correctly on a joist or with a stand. Also, you can change the height more with a heavy bag. For instance, if you want to practice knee level kicks, or kicks 7 feet in the air, you can do that.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to have a heavy-bag hanging in my garage but it was indeed rattling the house too much when I kicked it. It is hard on the joists. Now I have a wavemaster instead.

That having been said, to me, a heavy-bag is just more satisfying to hit. You hit it hard, and you get a nice big pendulous swing. You hit the wavemaster hard, and it wobbles like a Weeble.

So I'd add to the pros/cons list: heavy bags are more fun. But they are hard on the house-frame.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I'll get a heavy bag with a frame.

I've personally found that the frames for hanging bags get in the way more than the base of a freestanding bag does. That may just be me, of course, but it's one reason why I prefer a freestanding bag over a heavy bag on a frame.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that, I'm just saying the target itself is balloon-like and weak.

None of the ones I have used (and I've used lots...) fit that description.
Are you sure you're talking about wavemasters?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to have a heavy-bag hanging in my garage but it was indeed rattling the house too much when I kicked it. It is hard on the joists. Now I have a wavemaster instead.

That having been said, to me, a heavy-bag is just more satisfying to hit. You hit it hard, and you get a nice big pendulous swing. You hit the wavemaster hard, and it wobbles like a Weeble.

So I'd add to the pros/cons list: heavy bags are more fun. But they are hard on the house-frame.

There are places like Ringside that Sell Heavy springs. You hang this from the ceiling / chain and hang the heavy bag on it. This absorbs lots of the vibration. on the mounting.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Maybe not but you will be better than you are today and that's what counts....

You know, I only started in August and I'm loads better already. I was looking at the yellow tag belts thinking that they were way better than me and now that's where I'm at. It feels good even though it's just a small step.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't be good ever! :(

Ah but 'good' isn't necessarily the thing to be, 'effective' is the thing! I'm not that 'good' as in executing technically perfect kicks, strikes etc, it may not look pretty but by gum I'm effective! :) Aim for being competent and effective not text book perfect.