Home gym equipment for taekwondo.

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Basically what the title says. I'm moving home next week from a tiny apartment to a house. I'll have a bit more space so I thought I'd buy a bit of gym equipment so I can train at home. Does anyone have any suggestions?

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the heavy bag

Ohh like the punch/kicking bag? Actually this would be great because I live alone and I doubt people would come round so I can kick them for an hour or so. :D

Last edited:

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I actually like hanging bags better than the Wavemaster type but you gotta figure out how to hang them (and not damage your house over time)

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes you can. You will probably have to put some weight on the feet to keep the stand from moving around and watch out that the stand does not restrict your movement around the bag too much.

Oh another thing: videotape yourself when you are doing bag work......soooooo much to see and learn. It was a real eye opener when I posted a video on here with me hitting the bag and got some feedback. I also got tons of great advice and I think I'm doing much better now.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes you can. You will probably have to put some weight on the feet to keep the stand from moving around and watch out that the stand does not restrict your movement around the bag too much.

Oh another thing: videotape yourself when you are doing bag work......soooooo much to see and learn. It was a real eye opener when I posted a video on here with me hitting the bag and got some feedback. I also got tons of great advice and I think I'm doing much better now.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Video myself. That is absolutely terrifying. Because I am pretty rubbish. :D But I understand the logic. Everything I do wrong will be corrected.

Actually last week we were doing sparring in the Dojang. At one point I was up against a third dan black belt. I didn't even get close but I learned so much. So yes I will. I'll post videos of my bad kicking and in 10 years when I'm good I'll look back and be grateful.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you hang a heavy bag do not connect directly to the joists. Use Joist hangers attached to the joists and 2 2 x4 together to span between the joists and hang from that. These can be easily replaced if the bag wears on them from use.

Here is a video of my gym for ideas. I gave myself an annual gift of a piece of equipment each year for a decade or two.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you hang a heavy bag do not connect directly to the joists. Use Joist hangers attached to the joists and 2 2 x4 together to span between the joists and hang from that. These can be easily replaced if the bag wears on them from use.

Here is a video of my gym for ideas. I gave myself an annual gift of a piece of equipment each year for a decade or two.

You have a lot of stuff and a lot of space. :D But it's given me ideas definitely. Thanks. :)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Will you be only training by yourself, or do you have a partner or family member that could hold kicking targets for you?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As been said, punching bag.

I'll add the Total Gym. If it's good enough for Chuck Norris, it's good enough for you.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Video myself. That is absolutely terrifying. Because I am pretty rubbish. :D But I understand the logic. Everything I do wrong will be corrected.

Actually last week we were doing sparring in the Dojang. At one point I was up against a third dan black belt. I didn't even get close but I learned so much. So yes I will. I'll post videos of my bad kicking and in 10 years when I'm good I'll look back and be grateful.

Don't give yourself too much credit. Only 10 years?

Ok, for the record I'm joking. Videotaping yourself is one of the best things you can do. Video doesn't lie. It'll see things you can't see, even with mirrors in front of you.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't give yourself too much credit. Only 10 years?

Ok, for the record I'm joking. Videotaping yourself is one of the best things you can do. Video doesn't lie. It'll see things you can't see, even with mirrors in front of you.

I won't be good ever! :(

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I actually like hanging bags better than the Wavemaster type but you gotta figure out how to hang them (and not damage your house over time)
I also need to stress how terrible the Wavemaster is for proper striking training. It's essentially an inflatable bopping bag, and won't benefit you in terms of, well, anything.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also need to stress how terrible the Wavemaster is for proper striking training. It's essentially an inflatable bopping bag, and won't benefit you in terms of, well, anything.

I'm going to disagree with your opinion here.
I've been training since waaayyyy before you were born (possibly before your parents were born...), and I'm pretty sure I've pounded on most ever conceivable heavy bag-equivalent (well, I've never done the Rocky hanging side of beef thing...).
While there are pros and cons to all of the options, the wavemaster is certainly a viable striking target and a useful training tool.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with your opinion here....................................
While there are pros and cons to all of the options, the wavemaster is certainly a viable striking target and a useful training tool.

IMO best option perhaps if hanging bag is not possible.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I live alone so I doubt I'd be able to convince someone to come round so I can kick them. :D

Hah, okay. That rules out some of the things I was thinking about.

Let's see..... a heavy bag would be good, like others have said. An agility ladder and a jump rope are both inexpensive and easily stored, and will help you improve your sparring and general fitness. If you guys practice breakfalls and rolls, a folding mat would be a good choice - and you can also fold it up and use it as a platform for plyometrics drills.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

You know you have to put water or sand in the base, right?

Latest Discussions