Hiya guys :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every teacher is different, hence why I always tell people to visit as many dojos as possible in their area. The most important thing is the teacher and who you’re training alongside IMO.

If that dojo wasn’t for you, no sense in training there.

Yeah absolutely, definitely finding that so true. A style can look great on paper, and tick many boxes, but if you don't click with the dojo/school/members then you just won't get out of it what it is you're after. I plan to do some exploring this year, try a different style for a month until one clicks, may do a thread about my experience :). Really appreciate your thoughts on all this :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Simon,

I'm all the way over in Perth - but I do know of a Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu group in Geelong:

Highton Dojo – Takumakai Daito Ryu Australia

Daitō-ryū Aiki-jūjutsu - Wikipedia

Certainly not a 'kicking/punching-centric' art like Karate, TKD or TSD, but that group might be what you're looking for.
Hi Brendan, ah wow... you know what in all of my research of dojos around the area I never came across this... thanks so much.

It's bizarre... I've never been attracted to these styles of training (aikido, aikijujutsu etc), which makes no sense as these arts seem to be more of a softer/allowing emphasis with more of a spiritual focus, which is what I'm into... But this may definitely be worth looking into for me... sounds fascinating...

Really appreciate that Brendan :)

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Brendan, ah wow... you know what in all of my research of dojos around the area I never came across this... thanks so much.

It's bizarre... I've never been attracted to these styles of training (aikido, aikijujutsu etc), which makes no sense as these arts seem to be more of a softer/allowing emphasis with more of a spiritual focus, which is what I'm into... But this may definitely be worth looking into for me... sounds fascinating...

Really appreciate that Brendan :)

Ha - great, was almost not going to post, given it's so far from what you seemed to be after. I guess I have a fascination for all things koryu, and although Daito ryu's status as koryu is questionable, I've always been intrigued by it - mostly because of things I've heard about Takeda S.

And FWIW - the Takumakai line of DR has plenty of 'not-so-soft' techniques:

3e8a405cd842fab2c82280c2191eed00.jpg

All the best with the search! Let us know how you go

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha - great, was almost not going to post, given it's so far from what you seemed to be after. I guess I have a fascination for all things koryu, and although Daito ryu's status as koryu is questionable, I've always been intrigued by it - mostly because of things I've heard about Takeda S.

And FWIW - the Takumakai line of DR has plenty of 'not-so-soft' techniques:

3e8a405cd842fab2c82280c2191eed00.jpg

All the best with the search! Let us know how you go
Ah right, no I definitely appreciate you posting. It's great to know of all options. I still plan on training around and seeing what really clicks. And that's the thing, it may be completely unexpected which art I fall into and what I'm drawn to, and there's no amount of planning that can decide that haha. I've never really heard of the art to be honest, but looking at the links I love the orientation and focus of it :). I'd be keen to put that into the mix of what I'll explore, much appreciated :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk _Simon_
I have meet a few Systema practitioners from your neck of the woods, and all were good folks. It is not a well known martial art but you might want to give it a look.

Systema Vasiliev. Russian Martial Art

Good luck in your search
Regards
Brian King
G'day Brian, thanks for the welcome :). Ah yeah I see there a few in the Melbourne area, but not really interested in Systema. I've heard of it, but not sure it's my cuppa tea.

Thanks a bunch though really do appreciate the suggestion mate :). If anyone else has any recommendations as to what they think would suit me feel free :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are these guys anywhere near you?

Enshin Karate Australia

I have a man crush on Enshin. Pretty sure it’s hard contact, which probably isn’t what you’re looking for. But I thought I’d throw it out there. No Enshin near me, so maybe I have the wrong idea about it. It just seems like a great system to me - Kyokushin blended with some Judo. Then again if an Enshin dojo opened up close to me, I’m not sure I’d be able to deal with full contact for any length of time anymore. Been there, done that. But hey, I could be wrong about the day in and day out contact level.

You’re familiar with Joko Ninomiya, right?

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are these guys anywhere near you?

Enshin Karate Australia

I have a man crush on Enshin. Pretty sure it’s hard contact, which probably isn’t what you’re looking for. But I thought I’d throw it out there. No Enshin near me, so maybe I have the wrong idea about it. It just seems like a great system to me - Kyokushin blended with some Judo. Then again if an Enshin dojo opened up close to me, I’m not sure I’d be able to deal with full contact for any length of time anymore. Been there, done that. But hey, I could be wrong about the day in and day out contact level.

You’re familiar with Joko Ninomiya, right?

I am now! (After research hehe). I'm familiar with Enshin, and the closest seems to be Melbourne (about an hour away). Yeah it seems really cool, but don't think it's up my alley at this stage. Seems like Kyokushin but a lot of traditional stuff taken out, more self-defense based, and yeah with judo etc. Would be a great learning experience. There is Ashihara in Geelong though.

But like we discussed before, it will definitely be a case of clicking with the instructor and specific dojo rather than generic style, so i definitely won't count anything out :).

And I really do enjoy the intensity of full contact sparring, honestly it's an incredible feeling. And I think people looking in from the outside won't ever understand it unless they do it. It really awakens something within you (and it's not that primal or 'animal' thing either), the truth of it lies in the direct experience of it. There's something really magical about it in the very midst and core of it, and I'd still like to do that sort of training, but just every now and then. I might still do the fight nights my old dojo has (25 kumite rounds in a row), and that'll be the extent of it hehe. Depending on health etc.

Thanks heaps, I'm enjoying getting feedback on potential styles to explore :)

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I left Kyokushin at the end of 2016 and took a year off in 2017, just doing my own home training, which I highly recommend, it was a great learning experience.
I also did that and yes I highly recommend it too, because in my opinion something like that really shows you're mental toughness/discipline.
Nobody gives a F if you take a day off, or a week, or even a month.
Nobody gives a F if you're pushing your limits.
You always can choose the easy way out, but deciding for yourself not to do it, that's not easy for most people, most of my friends, they can't even do just a lil bit of working out every now and then... they just find excuses that doesn't even make sense lol.
I always say if you can't bring yourself to do something you don't want to do, but is essential for reaching your goal, you don't have full control over your own body.
Sorry if I write a lil bit weird, English isn't my first language haha.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also did that and yes I highly recommend it too, because in my opinion something like that really shows you're mental toughness/discipline.
Nobody gives a F if you take a day off, or a week, or even a month.
Nobody gives a F if you're pushing your limits.
You always can choose the easy way out, but deciding for yourself not to do it, that's not easy for most people, most of my friends, they can't even do just a lil bit of working out every now and then... they just find excuses that doesn't even make sense lol.
I always say if you can't bring yourself to do something you don't want to do, but is essential for reaching your goal, you don't have full control over your own body.
Sorry if I write a lil bit weird, English isn't my first language haha.

Ah cheers for the thoughts, ah didn't know English wasn't your first language, I wouldn't have picked it from the other threads, it's pretty good!

Yeah discipline is good, but if anything I learned to relax more during last year. I'm sort of the opposite, I push myself far too hard and put too much pressure on myself. So it was really moreso a year of training the sort of things I actually wanted to train, and therefore being much kinder to myself. It was great, and I really got to explore stuff that we wouldn't usually do in the dojo. Still trained hard at times, but it wasn't the main focus, it was reconnecting with WHY I started training in the first place, and reconnecting with why I love training and what draws me to it.

And currently there are really zero goals in mind, am really just listening to myself and taking this current year to get back into training properly, whatever I click with. Although I did enter two tournaments last year and definitely that was a goal I guess which I prepared for, and probably will this year too, but in the grander scheme of things I'm looking to follow where the road takes me, rather than force a sledgehammer to it hehe ;)

Reactions: 666

Latest Discussions