Hiya guys :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all! :) I'm new here and thought I'd say hey. My name is Simon from Australia, my background is primarily in two martial arts, many years ago I trained about 2.5 years in Go Kan Ryu karate, took an extended break not planning to go back, then really was keen to start training in a different style.

I trained in Kyokushin Karate (under Shihancho Gary Viccars' branch) for about 7-8 years, attained 4th Kyu (definitely took my time ;) ), and after much time and reflection found myself losing interest in Kyokushin. There was definitely a shift within myself, and I felt I could no longer do that style of training. I'd always pushed myself too hard in life and really put too much pressure on myself, and just in general haven't been very kind to myself. And Kyokushin has a real emphasis on pushing yourself to absolute extremes and incredibly hard training. A very 'yang' approach. I am very grateful and I have learned a tremendous amount about myself in Kyokushin, but definitely feel it's time to move on.

So it made total sense that my interest in Kyokushin dwindled, as I felt I could no longer do that to myself. And midway through last year I was quite unwell (and still am) with a severe pelvic condition (pelvic floor tension myalgia), which is just the muscles in the pelvis being too tight, which was FURTHER feedback that I was far too hard on myself, and I had a pattern of overtension.

I left Kyokushin at the end of 2016 and took a year off in 2017, just doing my own home training, which I highly recommend, it was a great learning experience.

And after much reflection last year, I still am super keen to train again in a different style. I'm definitely leaving behind an old way of living, so I've been looking around in my area for different styles, I'm still very much interested in karate, but also been looking at other styles like taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, so I'm thinking I might do an experiment period of trialling a different martial art for a month and seeing what clicks. It's usually the instructor to click with rather than the style, so it'll be interesting! Pretty sure I'm leaning towards a karate style though hehe. And I definiterly have more of an interest/inclination to the spiritual side of martial arts, so we'll see what happens.

I used to post a little on Kyokushin4Life but I don't that's operating anymore.

Anyways, am looking forward to posting and learning. And also looking forward to connecting with others and talking to others about martial arts :)

Cheers!

Simon

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT - sounds like you're starting a fun new martial arts journey. And it sounds like you're taking a great approach - finding the right instructor/school, it will definitely click at some point. And trying out new ones is a lot of fun, anyway.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the warm welcome guys, yeah it really feels like the start of something new. To be honest it was so emotional leaving.. but I knew it was the right decision for me. Really felt like it was a massive life decision haha.. but it did signal something important. A couple of months ago I decided to go back and assist in teaching the kid's classes though as I really enjoyed doing that, but my instructor was really understanding as to why I left training.

Now it feels like I can choose based on what I intuit as a good fit, and not decide based on fear or obligation or training to try to convince myself I'm 'strong'. Looking forward to what may come

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I'm in Victoria, in Geelong. I see you're from Melbourne :) ah you're spoilt for choice there, so many options for places to train!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesome, practically neighbours! And yeah, there's a fair bit here... but, me being me, I have to choose things where I need to go to Perth... or Japan.... ha!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah nice, yeah makes it a more rich experience travelling around to train I reckon hehe :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martialtalk, Simon. :)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the warm welcome guys, yeah it really feels like the start of something new. To be honest it was so emotional leaving.. but I knew it was the right decision for me. Really felt like it was a massive life decision haha.. but it did signal something important. A couple of months ago I decided to go back and assist in teaching the kid's classes though as I really enjoyed doing that, but my instructor was really understanding as to why I left training.

Now it feels like I can choose based on what I intuit as a good fit, and not decide based on fear or obligation or training to try to convince myself I'm 'strong'. Looking forward to what may come
Never be limited by obligation. The only obligation you have is to yourself

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks all :)

Never be limited by obligation. The only obligation you have is to yourself

Yeah so true, isn't it a strange concept 'obligation'... I've seen others use it so many times in order to justify their controlling others, and believing in it yourself is just a way to avoid dealing with your own guilt. For too long I felt like I 'had' to keep training, lucky I saw how shoddy and limiting that belief system is hehe... Cheers HH appreciate it :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Simon. I miss Kyokushin4life too. There were some great people and great discussions there.

If you’re looking for something along the lines of Kyokushin, but without the bare knuckle aspect, check out Seido Juku. There’s quite a few Seido dojos in Australia. The link I’m providing lists most, but I know there’s a few others not listed. For some reason, Geelong rings a bell for me.

The World Seido Karate Organization in New York City

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Simon. I miss Kyokushin4life too. There were some great people and great discussions there.

If you’re looking for something along the lines of Kyokushin, but without the bare knuckle aspect, check out Seido Juku. There’s quite a few Seido dojos in Australia. The link I’m providing lists most, but I know there’s a few others not listed. For some reason, Geelong rings a bell for me.

The World Seido Karate Organization in New York City
Osu mate thanks for that. Yeah to be honest Seido was one that absolutely jumped out at me. I researched it so thoroughly and sent so many emails around asking for info haha. The philosophy and more spiritual side and emphasis just really clicked with me so much.

At the end of 2016 I visited the only Seido dojo that's close by, and to be honest I didn't click with one of the instructors.. it felt a bit pushed and almost militaristic, almost barking at the students, which is what I want to get away from. I'm done with doing everything at 400% and pushing myself into oblivion. I'm all for training hard, but for that to be a prime emphasis all of the time just reminded me of Kyokushin. And for sure that may not be representative of Seido as a whole. Just wish there was another closer dojo. There is actually a dojo that used to be Seido but is now operating under a different name, I'll definitely check them out.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Osu mate thanks for that. Yeah to be honest Seido was one that absolutely jumped out at me. I researched it so thoroughly and sent so many emails around asking for info haha. The philosophy and more spiritual side and emphasis just really clicked with me so much.

At the end of 2016 I visited the only Seido dojo that's close by, and to be honest I didn't click with one of the instructors.. it felt a bit pushed and almost militaristic, almost barking at the students, which is what I want to get away from. I'm done with doing everything at 400% and pushing myself into oblivion. I'm all for training hard, but for that to be a prime emphasis all of the time just reminded me of Kyokushin. And for sure that may not be representative of Seido as a whole. Just wish there was another closer dojo. There is actually a dojo that used to be Seido but is now operating under a different name, I'll definitely check them out.
Every teacher is different, hence why I always tell people to visit as many dojos as possible in their area. The most important thing is the teacher and who you’re training alongside IMO.

If that dojo wasn’t for you, no sense in training there.