Hip trouble with my round kick and stretching?

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by Ivan, Mar 29, 2019.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    That's starting to sound like the IT band. It's hard to stretch - perhaps someone here can point a video of an ITB stretch, which would probably tell you if that's the problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Leviathan

Leviathan White Belt

Lack of flexibility in your muscles is certainly not the issue if you're just 5 inches away from the split. I am more than a foot away from the split and still I can kick at head level without pain in my joints.

I remember having a similar problem a couple of years ago although not as intensive. I went straight to a good osteopath who found out it was due to some stiffness in the conjunctive tissue. He solved the matter in 1 appointment. No medication needed, just some manual therapy. I had fully recovered my flexibility by the end of the appointment.

Personally for that kind of issues I prefer going to an osteopath than a doctor / orthopedist. Osteopaths usually have a better feeling and understanding of joint issues. And they don't push for surgery, medication or X-rays, ct-scan etc.

In case your doctor is not really useful and osteopathy is out of reach to you (I have no clue where you are and whether osteopathy is widespread over there), you might purchase a yoga foam roll and work your legs and back with that. That could help relax the conjunctive tissue (only helpful if that is the issue of course).

Keep us posted and good recovery.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  3. Ivan

Ivan Yellow Belt

More towards the outside

4. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member