Highlander I remake

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe from a martial arts point of view... maybe... but a part from that, Christopher Lambert was far better in the role.

The TV series needed the supporting characters, who often upstaged Paul IMO. Duncan was just too much of a Mary Sue at times.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya know I have done that with his DVD collection for what I could get my hands on. The Pointmen, Gillian, Knight Moves, Subway, Beowulf, etc. He is a great character actor that doesn't always get the decent U.S. scripts. His depicition of John Clayton in Tarzan was great. I just dig his dry humor.

Chris Lambert is one of those actors that I will watch in pretty much anything (will pick it up just for him). Usually end up enjoying them though they aren't that great. Fortress, Beowulf, etc....

Rutger Hauer is another in that category (and some odd ones like Bryon James, Gary Daniels, and others)

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone "Super" Badass: Kurgan, Katana, Kane.......the Darth Vader's of the Immortals if you will always gunned for Connor. Duncan was an afterthought.

It was even re-inforced in Endgame. Cemetary scene: Kell"Connor we will see each other very soon and I will kill you slowly."
Kell looking at Duncan, "You boy are on borrowed time, however, I will call ya."

Connor was the man.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chris Lambert is one of those actors that I will watch in pretty much anything (will pick it up just for him). Usually end up enjoying them though they aren't that great. Fortress, Beowulf, etc....

Rutger Hauer is another in that category (and some odd ones like Bryon James, Gary Daniels, and others)

Yes, I'm with you! Fortress is junk but I liked it ("intestinate"--great verb) and Rutger Hauer I like too.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, Nancy is more like it. Look, Connor: Youre here let's fight.
Duncan: Until season 4......I dont wanna fight, I don't wanna fight.....Oh ok. I mean jeez, after Connor sacrificed himself to Duncan in Endgame Duncan had to use Connor's sword to kill Kell. The only reason Connor died was his own sacrificial guilt. Plus, Connor stuck with the tried and true bastard sword fighting of the Scottish Highlands. That is all he needed. The man was the real badass. Even when he fought Duncan in Endgame he was "Owning" him. There was no better Immortal character in the Highlander Universe.

Andrew I couldn't agree more, with one exception. Adrian Paul played a great role for the series but it was low budget. Plus in the movies it is easy to have adversaries fight, good and evil for an hour and a half.....So Paul did do a good job. I am probably one of the only few who actually liked "The Source" as well. It took a 2nd watching but oh well. The first time pissed me off when the Guardian destroyed Connor's katana. From that scene on I was pissed. So I had to watch it a 2nd time to give it a chance.

Maybe from a martial arts point of view... maybe... but a part from that, Christopher Lambert was far better in the role.

The TV series needed the supporting characters, who often upstaged Paul IMO. Duncan was just too much of a Mary Sue at times.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember seeing the original for the first time (unfortunately on the small screen via VHS and was dubious to it. My older brother insisted that I watch it saying I'll love it (knows me well that chap)... The opening scenes... I was aghast... WHAT? A friggin Wrestling movie... aww man! My brother punched me in the arm and said shut up and watch... then came the sword fight in the garage... HUH? WHAT?? Then the slow pan up and now we're in 11th century SCOTLAND? WTF?? What the heck is going on here... kept watching it and before I realized by the end credits with Queen's "It's A Kind Of Magic" I was in love with it.

You just don't remake something THAT friggin GOOD! We need to bomb Hollywood.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's see... one episode cameo carried a 6 season series.... Yep that was it... Sorry, Paul's character was better. Especially from a martial arts point of view. Don't get me wrong I like Lambert and I loved the first movie, but Duncan was the better character.

Highlander: The Source started out as a different movie entirely following non-MacLeod immortals, but was re-written (and I use the term loosely) and plauged with budget problems.

I'm with you on this one. I like Adrian Paul's Duncan better by far.

This first film was good, but it's absurd to consider remaking it. If they want to continue the franchise, why not just creat a different immortal? Conner Macleod is done.
David

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree w/ live true & many others posts. The following has been my nicknames for these movies for years.
Highlander- There should have been only one
Highlander 2 - The sickening
Highlander 3 - The final insult
I stopped nicknaming them after that.
The Kurgan rules.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually there is hillarity in this statement, albeit it that it is 100 percent true. The best in comedy is the truth.
In the last five minutes, I've discovered that they are also remaking Hellraiser and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Criminey, can't they come up with a single original idea? Just one?

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh by the way.....having Lambert in episode I, season I was the set up for the series. Not only that but his Connor character and Connery's Ramirez were mentioned several times. Connor might as well of been noted as "Best of the best" even during the series. Yeah, the movies were still being released with Lambert's Connor being used.

But I still think it kind of funny that they had to make so much reference to the movie characters. They even made reference to Kurgan on a few occassions.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
This makes me sad. Highlander was a seminal movie for me. Not only was it great, but I had such a good time in the theater. Went with my Dad, this was right before my aprents split up and things got wierd in my family. There was an elderly couple sitting behind us that thought they were going to see a documentary about actual Scottish Highlanders...they were quite confused :).

On top of that, when the opening sequences with the castle on the lake in Scotland ran...I realized that we'd been to that place just behind the film crew. I remember seeing that caslte...and the bed and breakfast we stayed at complained that they'd lost all their keys when a film crew had stayed there a week or so before us and tkaen them all.

At the time that was about the coolest thing to me...to have been so close to a cool movie...to have "been there" so to speak.

Please Hollywood...just leave it alone and leave me with my good memories.

Peace,
Erik

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is incredible man,

I hope you got and kept the pictures of the trip and put them in a scrap book. That is incredible, just really cool.

This makes me sad. Highlander was a seminal movie for me. Not only was it great, but I had such a good time in the theater. Went with my Dad, this was right before my aprents split up and things got wierd in my family. There was an elderly couple sitting behind us that thought they were going to see a documentary about actual Scottish Highlanders...they were quite confused :).

On top of that, when the opening sequences with the castle on the lake in Scotland ran...I realized that we'd been to that place just behind the film crew. I remember seeing that caslte...and the bed and breakfast we stayed at complained that they'd lost all their keys when a film crew had stayed there a week or so before us and tkaen them all.

At the time that was about the coolest thing to me...to have been so close to a cool movie...to have "been there" so to speak.

Please Hollywood...just leave it alone and leave me with my good memories.

Peace,
Erik

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah, I did. It was the only time I ever travelled outside of the US...the pictures from Scotland that i took were simply awesome...to come home and then and discover a further connection just added to the "cool" factor. Too bad we we didn't get to the location sooner and matbe cross paths with the production crew.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions