Highlander I remake

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh man,

Does the idea of this make my stomach turn. I can see this being all wrong from the beginning credits. Oh geez, it is supposed to be a remake obviously. However, if they use the name Connor MacLeod or use John Sloman to do the Queen songs like they did in "The Source" I will refuse to watch it.

No one can be Connor MacLeod than Christopher Lambert, sorry. The album "A Kind of Majic" cannot be topped, Queen is just too great of a band. No one could pull off Ramirez like Connery and well there is just no replacing Clancy Ross as Kurgan either. The chemistry was too good between the 3. Gee, why doesn't George Lucas just destroy "Star Wars", "Empire" and "Jedi" by using 4 new people to play the main parts and do a scene by scene remake?

FWIW: I will not see it if it is a scene by scene remake for the most part like "The Longest Yard" was.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
No one can be Connor MacLeod than Christopher Lambert, sorry.

There can be only one! :rofl:

I'm right there with you, Matt. Highlander doesn't need a remake. I may have to pull that one out tonight.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that series has been beat to death enough, let us forget about certain movies that should not have been made and not have to repress memories of any additional ones.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... and to borrow a phrase from a commercial for Law & Order: "The original is the best".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The original was very good. In addition to the story, chemistry on set, music and action (not to mention a terrific villain), the humor in the writing was awesome. There were also some very creative segues between modern day and flashbacks that really kept the plot moving forward.

I'd be receptive to a quality addition to the movie, perhaps a prequel or something like that, but to relaunch the series just won't work. I'm afraid it would end up being light on script and heavy on CG sequences stolen from the Matrix or 300.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh man,

Does the idea of this make my stomach turn. I can see this being all wrong from the beginning credits. Oh geez, it is supposed to be a remake obviously. However, if they use the name Connor MacLeod or use John Sloman to do the Queen songs like they did in "The Source" I will refuse to watch it.

No one can be Connor MacLeod than Christopher Lambert, sorry. The album "A Kind of Majic" cannot be topped, Queen is just too great of a band. No one could pull off Ramirez like Connery and well there is just no replacing Clancy Ross as Kurgan either. The chemistry was too good between the 3. Gee, why doesn't George Lucas just destroy "Star Wars", "Empire" and "Jedi" by using 4 new people to play the main parts and do a scene by scene remake?

FWIW: I will not see it if it is a scene by scene remake for the most part like "The Longest Yard" was.
Actually Lambert turned out to be sort of a disapointment. I say make the new film with new personalities and new chemistries.
Sean

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey now. Highlander was the only good movie Lambert ever did! Don't take that from him! :D

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
You got me there. I guess you can credit the director for full usage of what he had to work with.
Sean

Chris Lambert is one of those actors that I will watch in pretty much anything (will pick it up just for him). Usually end up enjoying them though they aren't that great. Fortress, Beowulf, etc....

Rutger Hauer is another in that category (and some odd ones like Bryon James, Gary Daniels, and others)

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is time to bury that series. Didn't a new one go straight to cable last year?
The story holes bothered me too much after part one. They made the series a joke when they decided in part two that Conner and Ramirez actually met on another planet before boarding a spaceship, even though part one shows them meeting in a forest.
Bleh. You know it's bad when the Highlander fans make full websites explaining how each movie and series is in different universes. Read here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Highlander-1104/Continuity.htm
Still, I loved part one.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is time to bury that series. Didn't a new one go straight to cable last year?
The story holes bothered me too much after part one. They made the series a joke when they decided in part two that Conner and Ramirez actually met on another planet before boarding a spaceship, even though part one shows them meeting in a forest.
Bleh. You know it's bad when the Highlander fans make full websites explaining how each movie and series is in different universes. Read here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Highlander-1104/Continuity.htm
Still, I loved part one.
The series is almost unwatchable.
Sean

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the last five minutes, I've discovered that they are also remaking Hellraiser and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Criminey, can't they come up with a single original idea? Just one?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 3rd movie was "ok" and taken without part 2 provides some sense of continuity, even if it is a bit of a stretch.

Part 2 was just bad and should never have been made.

Now I'd give the series 2 main continuity pieces.

The 1st and 3rd movies is one

The tv series is another... until the last season or so when it got really weird.

The rest, 2nd, 4th and 5th movies, and the end of the tv series we can just toss out and deny they ever existed.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone is certainly intitled to their opinion. However, that is what makes everyone unique. Even though the man has "Rock Star" status as an actor in Europe, not to mention the high caliber actor of Sean Connery's wit. Sorry. I just do not agree. However, when I was in High School you either liked Van Damme or Seagal. Bloodsport vs. Hard to Kill etc.

Actually Lambert turned out to be sort of a disapointment. I say make the new film with new personalities and new chemistries.
Sean

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
The magic, if you will of the movies with Lambert is the fact that there was no continuity. You didn't know what aspect of Connor's life you were in. It was just telling a story.

I don't know, I am a huge Highlander fan so I look at it from a different aspect. I guess you are either a fan or not. It took Lambert's cameo to launch the 6 season series if you will.

But to each their own.

The 3rd movie was "ok" and taken without part 2 provides some sense of continuity, even if it is a bit of a stretch.

Part 2 was just bad and should never have been made.

Now I'd give the series 2 main continuity pieces.

The 1st and 3rd movies is one

The tv series is another... until the last season or so when it got really weird.

The rest, 2nd, 4th and 5th movies, and the end of the tv series we can just toss out and deny they ever existed.

Reaction score
Let's see... one episode cameo carried a 6 season series.... Yep that was it... Sorry, Paul's character was better. Especially from a martial arts point of view. Don't get me wrong I like Lambert and I loved the first movie, but Duncan was the better character.

Highlander: The Source started out as a different movie entirely following non-MacLeod immortals, but was re-written (and I use the term loosely) and plauged with budget problems.

Latest Discussions