High kicks of destruction for Tez3

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a link for those like Tez3, who's told me he finds it difficult to execute high kicks these days, who would like to be able to kick higher - there is a lot of verbiage on the link but going through the few web pages the link takes you to you can get the idea of what is required and there are some good inofrmative pictures at about page 3:

http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch1.html

Just paste this link in your address bar and go.
The article is by Thomas Kurtz and these were the same kinetic stretching techniques I was initially taught to kick high without need for traditional stretching or warm up when I joined my goju ryu club. If you follow the moves for a few months, even weeks, you should notice a marked improvement in height of kicks - and the lack of risk of strains/injury to muscles. I have found that if you keep up the 'stretches' a few times every week, once your flexibility has improved, in the morning you can execute head kicks from cold on the street etc. Although I always warm up before competition or sparring etc I can do about a 90-95% high kick from cold whenever required and so I think this is immensley helpful to all martial artists who enjoy the kick.

I trained in TKD through high school so as a result my flexibility was very high. I used to do a hell of a lot of warm ups, running, skipping, all manner of stretches. That's many moons ago now and I must admit I can no longer get into a full splits but even though my static flexibility is reduced, through kinetic stretching my ability to perform high kicks is as good as ever and I feel I have less chance of injury and a greater understanding of how to effectively chamber the knee, open up the pelvis etc and avoid damage to myself and be able to kick faster, stronger and with less effort.

Anyway, I recommend to Tez3 and co to give it a go for a while!!!
:jediduel:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's good to see a member going out of their way to pass on information, so kudos for that, Zero.

I can't comment on the subject matter yet as I haven't visited the link but, if you can, it might be worth an edit to turn the he into she as Tez is a lass :tup:.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Zero! Appreciate it, I'll have a good look and hopefully it#ll do the trick! Can you imagine the looks on the faces of the people I train with if I can pull off a high kick!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a link for those like Tez3, who's told me he finds it difficult to execute high kicks these days, who would like to be able to kick higher - there is a lot of verbiage on the link but going through the few web pages the link takes you to you can get the idea of what is required and there are some good inofrmative pictures at about page 3:

http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch1.html

Just paste this link in your address bar and go.
The article is by Thomas Kurtz and these were the same kinetic stretching techniques I was initially taught to kick high without need for traditional stretching or warm up when I joined my goju ryu club. If you follow the moves for a few months, even weeks, you should notice a marked improvement in height of kicks - and the lack of risk of strains/injury to muscles. I have found that if you keep up the 'stretches' a few times every week, once your flexibility has improved, in the morning you can execute head kicks from cold on the street etc. Although I always warm up before competition or sparring etc I can do about a 90-95% high kick from cold whenever required and so I think this is immensley helpful to all martial artists who enjoy the kick.

I trained in TKD through high school so as a result my flexibility was very high. I used to do a hell of a lot of warm ups, running, skipping, all manner of stretches. That's many moons ago now and I must admit I can no longer get into a full splits but even though my static flexibility is reduced, through kinetic stretching my ability to perform high kicks is as good as ever and I feel I have less chance of injury and a greater understanding of how to effectively chamber the knee, open up the pelvis etc and avoid damage to myself and be able to kick faster, stronger and with less effort.

Anyway, I recommend to Tez3 and co to give it a go for a while!!!
:jediduel:

thanks for the info.. I dont kick high myself as I dont train for compitition. but any good stretching info is a good thing! if you are flexable you are a lot less likely to be injured either in a fight, or in just normal every day life.
I will be looking at that link to see what is there.. thanks again.

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Zero! Appreciate it, I'll have a good look and hopefully it#ll do the trick! Can you imagine the looks on the faces of the people I train with if I can pull off a high kick!

Hey Tez3, no problem I hope the basic moves will be of benefit. It is actualy simple doing the front/back and side extensions and just take your time and gradually continue extending yourself and your strecthes higher and your kicks will definitely benefit - oh and next time if I refer to you, I'll make sure to get my gender correct! : )

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score

:D:D:Dgod ur the funniest person on mt.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you knocking dudes out with head kicks yet tez?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you knocking dudes out with head kicks yet tez?

Mmm as this thread is 10 years old and I couldn't do them when I was in my fifties, what do you think lol!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know another good way to kick higher? just learn how to do the splits so that u can bend your legs at a 180 degree angle..

How to Do the Splits in a Week or Less
:rolleyes:There's no way I could do splits in a week. Not gonna happen in a month. Perhaps a year of that program would get me close. Programs with titles like that assume a starting point. It'd take me many months to get to that starting point, and the actual split is probably beyond reality.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't do the splits as a child, teenager or adult so there's no way I can do them as an OAP!
There was a time in my life - about 10 years in my late 20's and early 30's - when I could easily touch my toes. That should give you an idea of how close I've ever come to a split.