Hi from the girly grease monkey!!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jenna said:
gimme simple cogs and clutches anyday - old school!

Oh yeah! Speak to me my language, I can't stand the slushboxes. I have to have a stick in anything even remotely resembling a sports vehicle, otherwise I feel like it is just another grandma grocery getter. Before anyone says anything, I know some of the newer automatics are quite lively, and responsive, but.... Just like Jenns said - old school! If I'm going to lay a few hundred horses out, I just like the feel of a stick.

Welcome to MT Jenna!! Glad you are here and hope to read more posts. Enjoy your travels!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
Welcome, Jenna! Great intro, and check your CP... Good luck with going freelance, though I'm sure you'll do just fine.
Thanks, means a lot to hear! And thanks for the comment on the CP (and the answer's a not unexpected "no" tkdgirl!!) If it starts with you where would it all end!! LOL. Oh, well, there's always Santa, ha! :)

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bydand said:
Oh yeah! Speak to me my language, I can't stand the slushboxes. I have to have a stick in anything even remotely resembling a sports vehicle, otherwise I feel like it is just another grandma grocery getter. Before anyone says anything, I know some of the newer automatics are quite lively, and responsive, but.... Just like Jenns said - old school! If I'm going to lay a few hundred horses out, I just like the feel of a stick.
I hear ya! Whilst hoping to avoid innuendo ;) ain't nuthin' like a properly placed stick to get the blood flowing, ahem... and I mean on the floor and not on the column. You're bang on, some of the new auto boxes are sharp - flawless even. But I think it takes some of the skill away and takes some of the fun away too. If I was a jet-fighter pilot, I'd want full control of all the fixin's and twiddly bits and not the autopilot (unless he looked like Brad Pitt, ha). But yeah, it's easy enough to bust an automatic trying to shove too much oomph through it - and I know what you guys over there in the big country are like for packing big punches under the bonnet, I mean hood ;)

These fancy-boy paddle shifters are a confabulation of all the worst of everything though so take heart from that at least.

Thanks again for the welcome - I'm humbled by you guys already.

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
I absolutely, totally agree with your perspective - you're spot on and I find in much the same way as you would tune your guitar, you also develop an ear for the timing and exhaust - some of my boys and gals are damn fussy about their exhaust notes with a few clients barely stopping short of bringing their own pitch pipes!! LOL. And I'm glad to hear you mention the manual too :) I know you guys stateside like your auto boxes!

Actually, they're big into the Formula-1 paddle shifters here now (semi-auto) and you can guess what a nightmare of wires and chips they are to sort out - gimme simple cogs and clutches anyday - old school! But that's progress! Someday Knight Rider will happen and then where will the likes of you and I be? Retired hopefully! Ha! Good to hear from a kindred spirit!

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Yes the Auto Shifters on the PRNDL stick or on the Steering Column are not the best in my mind. The computer has two options to schedule the shift, which means a delay, or to do it at max line and go as fast as possible Max Line has people wondering if they just broke something, when actually it is the safest thing for the Auto Box as you call it. ;) :D

Not my game, but I know some like them so you must deliver what the customers want :(

I just wish we could educate the customers more. I mean the average Manual gets soo much better Mile/Kilometers per Gallon because one can control the shift point.

Oh well, not trying to hi - jack your welcome thread. Glad you joined and hopefully you will continue to enjoy the reading and posting.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Yes the Auto Shifters on the PRNDL stick or on the Steering Column are not the best in my mind. The computer has two options to schedule the shift, which means a delay, or to do it at max line and go as fast as possible Max Line has people wondering if they just broke something, when actually it is the safest thing for the Auto Box as you call it. ;) :D
In all fairness, if cruising's your game then by all means stick to the Auto, you can talk away on your mobile and enjoy the scenery. For driver engagement, for driver control, and ok, for traffic light getaways it has to be manual.

Too much control nowadays is taken away from the driver - a bit like life really ;) - there'a always someone who knows better or thinks they do. For the modern driver, that someone is the computer. With chip-controlled everything, traction, anti-roll, and limited slip diffs, there's not always a lot for the driver to do but start and stop. Me? The only thing I like to switch on is the CD! And some of these machines aren't even equipped for that. And that's what I mean, modern cars take themselves too seriously. Much better to have everything off and drive it like a proper car like I did when my dad taught me. Thats why I'd say many of the older models are pound for pound better cars than some of the newer stuff. For such a complicated skill as driving, a computer will never be a match for you or I.

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk Jenna. So glad you found us here. We have an awesome bunch of woman (and men) on the board with serious MA accomplishments and experience...and from the sounds of it you will have much to contribute. Enjoy the board and happy posting! :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna be welcome to the foum.
I hope you post in the foums and ive us your insite into you ar.
While traveing around how about leing us know of Martial arts school you find in the different places

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
btw - WOW, those avatars are seriously HOT.

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Right back at you! I saw yours in another thread and had to track down your posts to say, "HELLO!"

Welcome to MT!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hiya Jenna and Welcome to MT~!

Great to 'meet' you ~! Very nice to have you here and I'm glad you were able to put your Ex Boss in his place ;)
Any questions just ask away~!

Enjoy the Board

~Tess

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Guys, this is really super - I couldn't have wished for a nicer welcome. Thank you all so much!

I'd love to be popping in and out of dojos around these parts but the truth is, besides a little conversational french and german, I'm living by my wits, pointing rudely at things and sort of speaking loudly the way we Brits do when we're abroad! The only Belgian I know is, uh, chocolate.

Actually, that sounds sort of comforting - I think I'll go point at some :)

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Jenna! Very nice intro. of yourself! I look forward to your posts!:ultracool

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A hearty welcome, Jenna! Always good to have another outspoken woman on the board - no wallflowers we be!

I must admit, right off the bat, my instant green monsteredness at your mechanical knowledge - I would LOVE to work on cars ... but, as they say, life (as well as other things) happens.

Enjoy MartialTalk! If there's anything you require assistance with, give a holler. :)

:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Jenna, I look forward to reading your posts on Aikido. It is something that has allways interested me.

If you have any questions (as everyone else has said) just ask.

7sm

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
A hearty welcome, Jenna! Always good to have another outspoken woman on the board - no wallflowers we be!

I must admit, right off the bat, my instant green monsteredness at your mechanical knowledge - I would LOVE to work on cars ... but, as they say, life (as well as other things) happens.

Enjoy MartialTalk! If there's anything you require assistance with, give a holler. :)

:asian:
Thank you so much for this, it really means a lot - I'm overwhelmed by all the responses - it's the medicine I need, truly.

I don't know about mechanical knowledge. No matter how fast and furious they are, cars are just a series of bits: take enough courses, read enough manuals, and dismantle enough parts, you can take on any of them. It's people that take the real skill to get to the heart of.

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Welcome Jenna, I look forward to reading your posts on Aikido. It is something that has allways interested me.

If you have any questions (as everyone else has said) just ask.

7sm
Thank you! Aikido's nothing more than moving around and around, making your opponent dizzier and dizzier until they simply develop a craving for the ground. Don't tell anyone though as these are the great and d3adl33 s3cr3ts of AiKiDo LOL ;) Now, it's you kung fu boys that have got the complex moves. I have always been impressed by the intricacy and yet subtlety of the mantis forms - and the chinese fighting arts in general - hey what can I say? I love MA. Though we come in off different tangents, aren't we all seeking the same goals?

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Thank you! Aikido's nothing more than moving around and around, making your opponent dizzier and dizzier until they simply develop a craving for the ground. Don't tell anyone though as these are the great and d3adl33 s3cr3ts of AiKiDo LOL ;) Now, it's you kung fu boys that have got the complex moves. I have always been impressed by the intricacy and yet subtlety of the mantis forms - and the chinese fighting arts in general - hey what can I say? I love MA. Though we come in off different tangents, aren't we all seeking the same goals?

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Very well said. If I could find a non CMA closest to the way we fight it would have to be aikido, I think thats why I'm so interested in it.

7sm

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Very well said. If I could find a non CMA closest to the way we fight it would have to be aikido, I think thats why I'm so interested in it.

7sm
Hi, that's interesting, I'd have never spotted specific technical similarities but, yeah, I get what you mean - from my position of ignorance - regarding fighting style. That's clever thinking, 7sm! I doubt my notes would be worth comparing on that level! Me, I just see one thing that's one colour and see another thing that's another colour and put them in two different pots. Good to know folk like yourself who can think beyond that :)

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Latest Discussions