Heroes of the Skies

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A rather splendid documentary about the exploits of Douglas Bader, a man whose life story has ever drawn me, possibly in part because my own father is one short in the number-of-legs quota:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/heroes-of-the-skies/episodes/douglas-bader
Unfortunately we can't play the file in dear old Oz but I have always been a fan of Bader although I believe there was a darker side to him. It would seem that my wife has the same lower appendage structure as your father and her prosthetist at one time had Bader as a client. His affection for Bader was minimal to say the least. Sad really. :asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I met Douglas Bader when I was stationed at RAF Upavon, he used to come and play golf there. He wasn't a nice man and he cheated at golf too. Perhaps though his sheer bloodymindedness is what kept him going when others would have buckled. The most senior officers we had then (early 1970's) were ex Battle of Britian people, they didn't like him much either.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I met Douglas Bader when I was stationed at RAF Upavon, he used to come and play golf there. He wasn't a nice man and he cheated at golf too. Perhaps though his sheer bloodymindedness is what kept him going when others would have buckled. The most senior officers we had then (early 1970's) were ex Battle of Britian people, they didn't like him much either.
Interesting!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

what do you expect from a guy named 'Badger'?! :lol:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting!
He would loosen screws on his legs so that they squeaked and when someone was about to tee off he would move his legs to make a noise to put them off. It was put around that he was joking but he actualy did want to win. He actually lost his legs due to his arrogance and his belief he was better than other pilots. I don't think having lost your legs entitles you to treat people badly, his ground crew were treated quite badly by him. I know a few people now who have sadly lost legs and they cope without arrogance and bloodymindedness.