Hero

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
A friend of mine has already seen the movie (he was overseas in the Navy when it came out there) and said it was excellent. Just a heads-up.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a chinese import DVD last year. All the menus were in chinese and it took us forever to get the subs off of Mandarin and on English. This is one of the five greatest martial arts movies all time. The fights are very stylistic, you know, flying through the air and all, but the story and the cinematography are amazing. It's long, but it's great. The use of color is incredible. I've seen it several times and I can't wait to see it on the big screen. Definately a must see movie.

-Rob

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thesemindz said:
A friend of mine had a chinese import DVD last year. All the menus were in chinese and it took us forever to get the subs off of Mandarin and on English. This is one of the five greatest martial arts movies all time. The fights are very stylistic, you know, flying through the air and all, but the story and the cinematography are amazing. It's long, but it's great. The use of color is incredible. I've seen it several times and I can't wait to see it on the big screen. Definately a must see movie.

-Rob
I had to check to make sure I did not post this :) I had the exact same experience when I got my DVD. I agree totally with your review.

stauburn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is an excellent movie!!!!!!!!! I bought it last year on VCD and I can't wait to see it on the big screen. The use of color is amazing, the action is great and it has an all star cast.

OP
A

AaronLucia

I saw a preview in a comic book shop, it looked sweet, tons and tons of fighting.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just saw Hero in a local theater. I have had the Chinese-language DVD since it came out, and was looking forward to seeing the dubbed version on the big screen. The problem? No dubbing. The version on screen is essentially the same as the DVD- subtitled. Now don't get me wrong. I enjoy reading and I enjoy movies. I just don't enjoy reading movies. It was nice to see the movie on the big screen, but considering how long it took to release the movie in the U.S., you would think that they could have gone to the trouble of dubbing it. I just hope that when the American market releases the DVD, they'll include a dubbed version (ala Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). End of rant.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In a distant, war torn land, at the violent dawn of a new dynasty over two thousand years ago, a ruthless emperor has risen to power with an iron fist and the strength of his massive armies. To control everything, he will stop at nothing. A fearless, loyal warrior with no name (Jet Li), is the lone survivor from amongst his people. His mission is to destroy the powerful emperor and his three faithful assassins, and avenge the destruction of all that was meaningful to him.
Is Li trying to be the next Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone Spagetti Western spin off? Hmm... :lol: just kiddin'
I saw Li in a chat with Quinten Tarrintino on FX channel the other night... It was primarily a promo for Hero but it showcased Kill Bill and dozens of other MA movies over the years. Tarrentino and Li mentioned about working together. Like to see THAT one... :D

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this does look good..from what i've seen it uses some cool storytelling too

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw it this past weekend in the theater. It was okay. The only critiques to present would be that it follows pretty closely to the Croaching Tiger, Hidden Dragon "Chinese Tragic Fable" formula, but with less impressive fight scenes. As with CTHD, I loved the music. Overall worth the $5.50 to see and then some. I'll pick up the soundtrack, but leave the DVD.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Question fro those who have seen it; Is there some Greek/Shakespearian and biblical tragedy mixed into this? Is it China trying to emulate the west or is it just me seeing our side first?

OP
B

Bigodinho

OULobo said:
Question fro those who have seen it; Is there some Greek/Shakespearian and biblical tragedy mixed into this? Is it China trying to emulate the west or is it just me seeing our side first?
I don't know about biblical, but there are elements of tragedy, Romeo and Juliet style, lovers torn between two causes, to kill the king, or not to kill the king... that is the question.

I saw the movie last night. I thought Hero was a beautifully made movie... from the cinematagrophy, to the MA choreography, to the acting. The use of color to help tell the story was amazing. It was all around a great movie experience. Definitely two thumbs way up. I liked it better than Crouching Tiger.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. I won't mention any possible spoilers in particular, but I really liked the way the story changed. The use of color was excellent. I'm a sucker for the tragic lovers/Chinese-style melodrama, gets me every time, and I was getting all weepy by the end. What can I say, I'm an emotional person.

Two thumbs up.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigodinho said:
I don't know about biblical, but there are elements of tragedy, Romeo and Juliet style, lovers torn between two causes, to kill the king, or not to kill the king... that is the question.

SPOILER:

It's probably my christocentric mind playing tricks on me, but when I saw the scene with the Emperor's councilors chanting "Execute him! Execute him! We demand it for the unity of the land!" all I could think of was Pilot listening to the crowd force him to condemn Christ.

OP
B

Bigodinho

Feisty Mouse said:
Ooooo - I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. Ooooo.....
Cool observation. Things that make you go hmmmmmm......

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I enjoyed the move as well. Though in this day and age, I believe its hard to create some new story line that hasn't already been done in one form or another in movies. But who cares!?! Zhang Ziyi is HOT!!!

A---)

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, keep in mind that this movie was released several months before Passion was released, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on comparison.

What I did enjoy, though, was the fact that it was based on the old Chinese legend of the nameless assassin who aborted his mission to kill the Qin emperor. Knowing that it was derived from actual history makes it all the better.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
Well, keep in mind that this movie was released several months before Passion was released, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on comparison.

True enough, but I wasn't really looking at a comparison to the movie The Passion, in which Gibson chose to make the condemnation of Christ a little less theatrical and a little more realistic. I was thinking more of the passion of the Catholic church mass in which the crowd in front of Pilate actually chants "Crucify him! Crusify him!" Again, it is probably more my churchgoing christocentric mind more than any real relation.

Latest Discussions