Helping Students Deal With Bullying

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. He didn't say he wanted Hillary.
That's confusing when he actually implied the opposite by saying her supporters incited riots which was the point of my saying it's political.
Judging by the sheer amount of abuse that flies between political opponents on Fb you just need to say a couple of names and all hell breaks out. Frankly I've never seen anything like it, not just on social media it's carrying over into 'real' life.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not my point, I mean specifically mentioning one politician in that way is a political post.
I honestly thought you were joking. Seriously? You’re going say that was a political post? I’d expect that from a few of the clowns here who read one line, take it out of context, and twist it, but not you.

You’re better than that.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's confusing when he actually implied the opposite by saying her supporters incited riots which was the point of my saying it's political.
Judging by the sheer amount of abuse that flies between political opponents on Fb you just need to say a couple of names and all hell breaks out. Frankly I've never seen anything like it, not just on social media it's carrying over into 'real' life.
Wow. Just wow.

Ok, to keep it fair and balanced...

(Insert beginning of original post here) it doesn’t matter if you’re facing 10 Bloods or a We Love Donald riot...

See what I did there? Now no one can accuse me of saying only Crips attack innocent people. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

Ok, to keep it fair and balanced...

(Insert beginning of original post here) it doesn’t matter if you’re facing 10 Bloods or a We Love Donald riot...

See what I did there? Now no one can accuse me of saying only Crips attack innocent people. :)

I'm not sure how much absolute abuse, invective and incredible hatred there is in the media as well as social media you know about when those two names are mentioned. I'm also remembering the days here when we had the Study that used to get tremendously heated, you'd get posters you thought calm and logically screaming abuse in capital letters at each others. Some of them are still here and I really don't want to see that side of them again.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much absolute abuse, invective and incredible hatred there is in the media as well as social media you know about when those two names are mentioned. I'm also remembering the days here when we had the Study that used to get tremendously heated, you'd get posters you thought calm and logically screaming abuse in capital letters at each others. Some of them are still here and I really don't want to see that side of them again.
I’m not directing this at you personally, so don’t read into it thinking so. And I’ll respectfully try my best to be as non-political as possible. I’m not taking a side, and you genuinely don’t know who I actually support in this...

If there’s that much hatred in a name, people need to lighten up. Neither party is responsible for ANYTHING remotely close to being a truly international catastrophe like genocide, world war, etc. Let’s be serious, the media has trashed both of them beyond recognition. It’s pathetic. People want our president to fail, and to epically fail. Even if an American doesn’t support him, doesn’t any common sense enter the equation that if the president fails, our entire country fails? Then what, an “I told you so?” Once they’re able to say that, then what do they have? I’m all about expressing an opinion and keeping government honest, but wanting to see them fail? I’ve got better things to hope for that I’ve actually got control over.

I barely watch the news and my only social media is here and another MA forum.

And I genuinely don’t understand why someone in a country half way across the world would get all worked up about my country’s president. I certainly don’t get worked up over anyone else’s, save for someone who’s pointing nukes at someone else or committing crimes against humanity. Brexit is your business. Trump vs Hillary is ours. I don’t know much about Brexit, and it doesn’t effect me. I don’t live in the UK, so I know truly know squat about everyday life there, no matter how much I may potentially read. Same for people outside the US.

The people rioting in the streets over Trump vs Clinton are a bunch of Hippocrates. ON BOTH SIDES. There’s idiots in the news who shout out as loud as they can, and then there’s the rest of us who have some common sense. And we’re the overwhelming majority of the population. And even though we’re split as to who should be in charge and may argue like family, we’re united in wanting things to work out for everyone. F the news. F the media. F social media. If you think they truly represent just about all of us, you’re sadly mistaken.

I don’t see any of that as politics, just everyday life. Again, I didn’t blame either side, nor did I state my allegiance to any party nor person; I simply implied an allegiance to common sense seeing my country succeed, no matter who’s behind the desk.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for proving my point!

As for not seeing why your President scares the bejasus out of the rest of the world, well, I could tell you but I'm not going to on here.

And people wondered why I raised the point about politics. :rolleyes:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for proving my point!

As for not seeing why your President scares the bejasus out of the rest of the world, well, I could tell you but I'm not going to on here.

And people wondered why I raised the point about politics. :rolleyes:
If you think that proves your point that my OP was political, nothing I can say will change your mind.

Keep looking for things that aren’t there. If you look hard enough, I’m sure can find anything you’re looking for in any post.

And ‘I could say something bad, but I won’t’ is a bit passive aggressive, don’t you think?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think that proves your point that my OP was political, nothing I can say will change your mind.

Keep looking for things that aren’t there. If you look hard enough, I’m sure can find anything you’re looking for in any post.

And ‘I could say something bad, but I won’t’ is a bit passive aggressive, don’t you think?

No, I could say something but that would against the rules here so no it's not passive aggressive is it. I think you proved my point quite nicely about the 'Hillary' riots because you went on to have a rant about supporting Trump. There was no need to say anything about specific riots but you thought you'd get that little dig in, as I said the current political climate means it's creeping in everywhere. If you didn't mean to put that dig in why so defensive?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I could say something but that would against the rules here so no it's not passive aggressive is it. I think you proved my point quite nicely about the 'Hillary' riots because you went on to have a rant about supporting Trump. There was no need to say anything about specific riots but you thought you'd get that little dig in, as I said the current political climate means it's creeping in everywhere. If you didn't mean to put that dig in why so defensive?
I’m not being defensive at all. You took a simple line mentioning a name, and turned it into something it’s not. No digs, no nothing.

I didn’t say people should support Trump, I said people should support the president, who coincidentally happens to be Trump. There’s a huge difference. There’s a difference between being critical, and all out wanting a guy to fail. I didn’t vote for GW Bush, and I was critical of him. Wanting him to fail so I can say “I told you so!” never crossed my mind. I wanted him to succeed so we can all succeed.

Do you know who I voted for? Do you know my political ideology? Funny thing is all I said was genuinely wanting to see your president to fail is actually wanting your country to fail. Doesn’t matter who you voted for. That was my point.

Keep escalating the situation. And come back with another one of your passive aggressive quips. And tell me how wrong I am. And how I meant to start a political “rant” simply because I mentioned a name.

As I said previously, if the mere mention of someone’s name gets this response, you really need to relax a bit. Especially when it’s a name that doesn’t govern you, put food on your table, and is realistically no direct threat to you personally. Stop watching the stupid media. They’ve done enough damage to two good people already.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Getting back to the OP, why is it some people never get bullied?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there such a person? I suspect it's more a matter of degree; some people get bullied a lot, some a little, most somewhere in between.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
because your such a nice guy.
your question is actually an important one, but in the opposing and equal question,, why are some kids victims of bullying over others.
i would say certain characteristics lend themselves to it. being an outlier VS being in the middle of the status quo. or perhaps a situation of bad luck. that was me. i happen to live two houses away from the neighborhood bully on a 4 house dead end street that was a 1/2 mile from other neighborhoods.

Is there such a person?
yes and its usually the bully.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
because your such a nice guy.
your question is actually an important one, but in the opposing and equal question,, why are some kids victims of bullying over others.
i would say certain characteristics lend themselves to it. being an outlier VS being in the middle of the status quo. or perhaps a situation of bad luck. that was me. i happen to live two houses away from the neighborhood bully on a 4 house dead end street that was a 1/2 mile from other neighborhoods.

yes and its usually the bully.
Often bullies also are bullied. Bully victims are kids who are bullied and bully ither kids to avoid being bullied themselves. An understandable if destructive response.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not being defensive at all. You took a simple line mentioning a name, and turned it into something it’s not. No digs, no nothing.

I didn’t say people should support Trump, I said people should support the president, who coincidentally happens to be Trump. There’s a huge difference. There’s a difference between being critical, and all out wanting a guy to fail. I didn’t vote for GW Bush, and I was critical of him. Wanting him to fail so I can say “I told you so!” never crossed my mind. I wanted him to succeed so we can all succeed.

Do you know who I voted for? Do you know my political ideology? Funny thing is all I said was genuinely wanting to see your president to fail is actually wanting your country to fail. Doesn’t matter who you voted for. That was my point.

Keep escalating the situation. And come back with another one of your passive aggressive quips. And tell me how wrong I am. And how I meant to start a political “rant” simply because I mentioned a name.

As I said previously, if the mere mention of someone’s name gets this response, you really need to relax a bit. Especially when it’s a name that doesn’t govern you, put food on your table, and is realistically no direct threat to you personally. Stop watching the stupid media. They’ve done enough damage to two good people already.

Thank you for another rant, again not political...much. As for who you voted for, NFI. Still you made me laugh. I love that you think I'm 'passive aggressive' I'm not, I'm just aggressive, never been passive in my life. :D

Still, not one to hold a grudge are you, we have a disagreement on this thread and now you are all over me like a tramp on chips, everything I say elicits a rant, sounds like someone else I know on here. I get that you hated me disagreeing with you earlier, I get that you want your own back because you are angry and riled up but really do we need more political posts? It's got boring. :yawn:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What controls a mob is the herd mentality, people feel stronger and less inhibited in a mob, they literally can get carried away. Non violent people can become very violent, commit sexual assault and rape, riot and loot in a mob whereas individually they would never dream of doing such things. Mob Mentality: The Brain Suppresses Personal Moral Code When In Groups

I can't remember what film was being made but there was a mob/riot scene in it, the extras had been briefed and shown what they were to do but as the filming went on it became clear to the director that his mob of extras weren't acting anymore and had actually started rioting for the real, the violence got real. They had a heck of a job stopping it, they also had a nasty scare at the example they saw of a mob mentality taking over. There was little to actually incite such behaviour but the feeling of being a 'herd' being strong in a group was stronger than most people realised and it took them over.

Hey!!?? You trying to bully me? :D :D :D :p

I have heard of things like that. I can't remember more about it either.

To me the surprising thing is how small a group of people can be, who take on mob characteristics. I have seen two people feed off of each other until they can or do act in a mob-like frenzy.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Often bullies also are bullied. Bully victims are kids who are bullied and bully ither kids to avoid being bullied themselves. An understandable if destructive response.

I have heard that and it makes sense. It seems kids often try to imitate their parents. Being bullied will affect your sense of self worth. But I think there are a lot of others reasons to lack self worth for other reasons, and I expect many of them might cause a kid to turn to bullying to help feel more worthy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I wish I knew that answer. More to the point, I wish I'd known that as a kid.
Are we talking about kids or adults? I think the answer depends a lot on the distinction

Kids: traits and characteristics that lead to less of a chance of being bullied:
  • Kids who are involved with groups and are busy tend to be bullied less. They have a support network of other kids, tend to be more confident and social and are less appealing to bullies.
  • Kids who are mild, middle of the road and don't attract much attention to themselves in any way. The old "nail that sticks out" canard. This isn't always within the kid's control.
  • Kids who are emotionally intelligent and can intuitively defuse situations.
What else can you guys think of?

With regards to adults, it's similar, but I would just add again that it's a lot about perception. Some employees consider any negative feedback they get to be bullying.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Geez Buka, why would you want to get back to the OP's question/comment? Isn't it more fun to watch people in the thread try to bully each other? :p :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have heard that and it makes sense. It seems kids often try to imitate their parents. Being bullied will affect your sense of self worth. But I think there are a lot of others reasons to lack self worth for other reasons, and I expect many of them might cause a kid to turn to bullying to help feel more worthy.
Or to help them avoid being a victim. The victim bully is a situation where the victim of bullying is trying to regain some control over the situation. It's not a good way to do it, but for a 10 or 12 year old human being, it might be the only one they can come up with.

In past discussions about bullying, folks have brought up the early scene in the book Ender's Game, where he just destroys the bully. That's an extreme example of what we're talking about. It's interesting because, in the book, it was looked at as a positive trait.

Latest Discussions