Help with Puzzle Mats?

Impactkbf

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi - I am with a small kickboxing fitness gym and I'm hoping to get some info re: puzzle mats and how to keep them from moving.. a member suggested a vinyl cover and frame but as the thread is over 7 years old - I was hoping someone can help me with this issue?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they're permanently down, just spread them wall to wall. They're awful easy to trim.

On the other hand, is this an actual problem, or just one you're anticipating? We have puzzle mats but don't put them out all the time. When they're out, they don't move. They're textured, which gives good traction. Plus the 4x4 square mat is pretty heavy. I can't say I've ever noticed ours moving.

OP
Impactkbf

Impactkbf

White Belt
Reaction score
It IS an actual problem. thanks for asking. We have the 7/8" Puzzle Mats and with even after providing for mat expansion during installation as directed - the mats expanded. They were installed wall to wall but with the rainy season, the mats expanded to the point that it lifted and bowed.. very dangerous as it's hard to see the bump in the floor til you walk on it.. and again, another member of this forum suggested a frame and vinyl cover and I was hoping to get more details on that solution or any other solutions

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ours are nearly twice that thick, so perhaps that's one reason why we've never had a problem.
Hope you find a solution.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately 7/8 inch thick mats are prone to shifting and lifting.
We have one room with 1 1/4 inch thick mats and have no concern.

pvols1979

White Belt
Reaction score
Do not buy the mats that Sams has. They are very thin and they flatten over time which also makes them spread out. We laid them on our garage floor and cut them to fit the room. We have had to go down one side and cut a foot off because of the stretching of the mats. Before we cut the extra off, the mats started buckling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk