Help...what am I doing wrong???

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals)

I am having trouble pulling off an armbar from the bottom. It really got frustrating the other day when I had someone in my guard, spent time securing his arm, and wasn't able to lock in the technique once I slipped my leg over his head. For some reason the other person is always able to get his elbow out, or I just can't straighten my body enough to lock it in.

Any suggestions?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals)

I am having trouble pulling off an armbar from the bottom. It really got frustrating the other day when I had someone in my guard, spent time securing his arm, and wasn't able to lock in the technique once I slipped my leg over his head. For some reason the other person is always able to get his elbow out, or I just can't straighten my body enough to lock it in.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you may be leaving a little space back by the elbow. You could also not be squeezing your knees together to getting the angle just right. It could also be an abdominal strength factor there are a lot of things to choose from.
icon9.gif

Now to fix your problem. Stay tight once you get the armbar on, squeeze the knees and drop the leg on the back of the head a little harder. If you can roll them over onto their back and readjust and armbar from there. Good luck!
icon6.gif

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good advice, thanks Brian,

Maybe I'm just not putting all the elements together fast enough.

I'll try the things you suggested

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may help to play with where exactly you position his elbow. Remember that IT'S the fulcrum point in the equation. If the elbow joint is too high up on your stomach, you'll actually be splinting the joint a little.

Aaron Fields

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is not about speed, in fact speeding up during practice is a bad call. Speed and muscle can cover for lack of technique when the other guy isn't using either.

Try applying more control over their hips, in addition, try getting at least one hand to grip closer to their body. This will allow you to break their posture when you begin to move.

Also, though it has already been mentioned, you need to use your legs to control their head and to give you a point to lift your hips from.

Aaron Fields

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxsdUKOJPaM

Pay attention to his hip elevation. It stays HIGH up and acts as a backstop to the arm he is attacking. If you are attacking your partner’s right arm then your left foot is in his hip and your right leg is hugging their back. Your right leg is the key to keeping your hips elevated the ENTIRE time and therefore leaving your partner no opportunity to pull their elbow out. FYI, both Yoshida’s DVDs and Carlos Machados DVDs are really good about the subject of the guard. Hope that helps.

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxsdUKOJPaM

Pay attention to his hip elevation. It stays HIGH up and acts as a backstop to the arm he is attacking. If you are attacking your partner’s right arm then your left foot is in his hip and your right leg is hugging their back. Your right leg is the key to keeping your hips elevated the ENTIRE time and therefore leaving your partner no opportunity to pull their elbow out. FYI, both Yoshida’s DVDs and Carlos Machados DVDs are really good about the subject of the guard. Hope that helps.

This was the problem, I was not raising my hips in the air much at all. This goes for when the opponent is standing or kneeling in the guard. Pulling the arm down at the same time helps too.

Thanks for the info guys, great stuff.

Latest Discussions