Essay For Promotion To First Degree
Courtesy Black Belt

Integrity

Perseverance

Self-Control

Indomitable Spirit

Michael Lindsay

Tae Kwon-Do Essay For Promotion To 1st Degree Black Belt

Tae Kwon Do is a form of martial art training from Korea that is derived from ancient martial arts that are over 2000 years old. Tae Kwon Do's goal is to help the student grow and develop in the areas of: courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control and indomindible spirit. Tae Kwon Do is NOT as the movies show , a violent military group that teaches students to beat up people. Tae Kwon Do IS a very good method of mental and physical training that is year-round.

In Tae Kwon-Do once we start training we are taught five tenets. We are told to use these in everyday life in and out of the dojang. These tenets are courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control and indomitable spirit. Both an instructor and his students are required to show these tenets in everyday life and to anyone they meet but they should also demonstrate these tenets when both training and instructing.

The dictionary definition of courtesy is: Polite behaviour, A polite gesture or remark and Willingness or generosity in providing something needed. A instructor will show this tenet by noticing and acknowledging when a student has tried his best and can no longer do a given exercise or can not perform a technique, he should say a polite encouraging statement like “good job” etc. so that the student feels he is doing well and the instructor is committing a polite act. An instructor also will encourage a student at tournaments and congratulate them on testing and achieving a new rank. Another way an instructor can show courtesy is by listening to and answering any questions comments or concerns a student or a students parents may have.

The student can demonstrate this tenet by always trying his/her best and replying to instructors questions by either “Yes ma’am” or “ Yes Sir” this shows respect to the instructor and make him/her feel like their students respect them and are willing to listen and be instructed. A way students show courtesy is co-operating with their partner by not putting them down and actually encouraging them especially when they are struggling to complete an instruction. Other ways include helping your partner up when performing self-defence, not striking a partner in sparring with intention to harm them, exercising caution when sparring so no personal injuries occur or any injuries to their partner either.

The most common way a student and instructor alike will show courtesy is bowing. This demonstrates respect and courtesy to the instructor for teaching the class and to the students for both attending and listening to his/her instruction.

A Tae Kwon-Do practitioner shows this tenet outside of the dojang by doing simple things such as listening to there parents for example. Another way would be to not insult people or try to be-little anyone or anything. Also things like using manners and being polite to everyone. These are just but a few of the ways a Tae Kwon-Do practitioner can show courtesy in their everyday life.

I personally believe that without one of these tenets life if terrible. Especially without courtesy human would basically kill themselves emotionally. Courtesy is one of if not the most essential tenet. For example how would we meet new people with out starting a fight, how would we greet our parents or children in the morning or for that matter even our teachers. So when training in Tae Kwon-Do must be exercised when talking to friends, our instructors. This tenet should always be shown no matter what the situation because at all times you are representing the martial art of Tae Kwon-Do and your club also.
Being courteous isn’t just simply being constantly happy courtesy is being kind. Its being considerate and acknowledging others with out judging them.

Integrity
: The Dictionary Definition of integrity is a strict adherence to a moral or ethical code.
Moral Codes Of Integrity:

Honesty: As a student, instructor and person honesty is important in all aspects of life. It is important because it is the building blocks of everything from friendships to business. Without honesty you have destroyed your integrity as a person. As an instructor honesty is shown when correcting mistakes so the student knows what he/she is doing is either correct or incorrect. As a student honesty is shown by practicing when an instructor asks you to. Also student shows this moral value by not exaggerating his/her accomplishments in an attempt to boast.

Humility: The definition of humility is attitude, or spirit is not arrogant or prideful.
Ways humility is shown by everyone in Tae Kwon-Do is by bowing upon entry into and exit out of the dojang. Other ways include everyone wears the same uniform showing that our only differences are our belts, we do not boast or brag about our skills and accomplishments.

Compassion: The definition of compassion is Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it. For example if a student is injured or struggling with a technique or exercise we would not laugh or make fun of that individual but we would encourage or help them (show compassion). We show compassion outside of the dojang by helping younger children at school, helping others in need, giving to charity and other helpful things.

Understanding: Understanding is not being narrow minded toward any concerns that a student, parent or instructor may have regarding Tae Kwon-Do. Outside of Tae Kwon-Do understanding is realizing and acknowledge different peoples ideas, opinions and their point of view.

This tenet should be exercised by both student and teacher. For example if an instructor didn’t show integrity by telling a student that what he was doing was a good job when it wasn’t come testing time the student will not do well and this will make the whole situation worse and may lead to the student quitting Tae Kwon-Do. An example of why a student should show this tenet is if an instructor tells him to practice and the student says he will but upon arriving home after class he completely forgets what his instructor has told him. The next day he comes to class and the teacher asks to see what the student was told to practice. The student attempts to remember the fragments of his pattern which he should have practiced but the instructor notices he hasn’t been practicing immediately and has to waste the other students time be going over the pattern again with the student which prevents the other students in his/her class from learning or practicing any further.

Integrity also means being true to yourself and others. Do not put down or be little anything that you are doing if it is good even if you think the contrary. On the other hand never convince yourself that some thing that needs improvement shouldn’t’t be practiced because you think it is just great or you are doing it well.

Integrity also applies to life outside of the dojang not just during training. For example a Tae Kwon-Do practitioner should never steal nor should anyone. A practitioner should also never lie not even if it’s a white lie that wont hurt anyone. This shows that the student will not try to cause harm. By showing integrity on the street people will respect you and notice you as an honest person people can respect this will be a good thing as it will make others want to begin Tae Kwon-Do training in hopes of being like you.

When used as a virtue term, ‘integrity’ refers to a quality of a person's character
A person of integrity is willing to bear the consequences of their convictions, even when this is difficult.

Perseverance: The dictionary definition of perseverance is To never give up in the pursuit of one's goals. People should welcome challenges, because challenges cause us to grow and improve. A student will show perseverance by completing an exercise without giving up even when it is hard. A student should preserver no matter what the task from anything as simple to completing a set of pushups to doing a extremely hard technique that they have just learned. Perseverance relates to everything in Tae Kwon-Do.

Ways an instructor shows perseverance are: Continuing to correct the same thing on the same student for days in a row, constantly having to tell a student how a proper exercise is done or sometimes dealing with a handicapped person or someone with a disability. These circumstances must be dealt with by using perseverance and being courteous to the students.

Outside of Tae Kwon-Do there are many ways I use, need and call upon the tenet of perseverance. Drawing on my inner strength helps in many everyday situations such as: school sports, soccer, fencing, practicing at home and training for my up and coming test.

Perseverance is required to do many things that without it one couldn’t do such as doing an exercise until you cant physically do it anymore. To achieve perseverance is essential to Tae Kwon-Do Training and advancing to the next level.

Perseverance help you learn and acquire new skills in many different things such as learning to drive, completing a level on a video game, math, learning a new language, and dealing with rude students at school.

THERE THATS WHAT I HAVE SO FAR

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like what you've written so far and I've learned quite a bit about how you are thinking. Perhaps you can explain more in how these effect you by giving more examples. You've done very well. Your writing style is easy to follow. How long is your essay supposed to be?

- Ceicei

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yoda said:
i haev more but thats some of it

Yoda so far your essay is very well written, I would include how this helps your everyday life and expland onhow this will impact your future as well. My young Warrior you had it in you all the time.
CONGRATS:partyon:
By the way I'm a Master in TKD it this will be alright for me if I was judging your essay.
Master Stoker

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked some parts, but when you write an essay, even one for something like this you really either need to cite the ideas that are not yours specifically and where you go them, like your definitions, quotes, etc...to make sure the person reading it knows it is someond else's idea that you feel expresses your point, not your point

Also, since you've done kind of a Q & A format, by providing definitions then saying how we follow through in tae kwon do. It might help readibility by seperating the definitions out and starting a seperate paragraph below to answer describe how they apply in TKD.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got in trouble for citing the dictionary definition of a term - in high school, college and in my red belt essay. I wouldn't do it.

Good writing so far and I agree with the other feedback you've gotten so far, so I'll shut up for now and wait for more.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good job so far, you put a lot of thought into it. Quoting where, from whom you got the ideas is good and more personal experience detail like a quote of someone who commented about you would help.

I agree with the dictionary term. And a lot of the time it is too broad without enough detail especially as it pertains to Taekwondo. Define it using your words instead.

Nick knows how to write papers as he is a senior in college-it would be good to follow his advice. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like that 20 pager I cranked out in about 8 hours...that was a fun one...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Like that 20 pager I cranked out in about 8 hours...that was a fun one...
:lol2: This sounds like one of the black belts at my school right before testing!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also saw a black belt candidate come without a paper, wrote it, or tried to write it during the hour before he was called. Not good. Master's son.

Also another whose paper was not so good apparently as he was asked instead to give a speech which was just unorganized rambling about the kids in his class. He was also requested to do a new paper to be read at the next testing. (for 2nd dan) I wasn't too impressed as the thought wasn't put into either. And then he didn't actually read his paper later either. Plus the fact that during my 2nd dan test (the next testing) he had to repeat all his forms. But he passed and I was too busy to watch him. So... :idunno: TW

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that if you can't do what your instructor asks you to do for the 1st dan test, you don't deserve the belt. Writing this essay is not unreasonable, just do what comes to you.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
:lol2: This sounds like one of the black belts at my school right before testing!

It was for my senior seminar...I had spent the entire semester reasearching the topic, so all the information was in my head...just had to write it down..

It still wasn't that fun

Latest Discussions