Help! I'm Cornering a Fighter

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A fighter needs a more experienced cornerman than he himself.

Because the corner man is telling him where the openings are and what he should do.

If you don't know Jits, you aren't going to be able to advise him on the ground.

If you don't know boxing, you aren't going to be able to advise him in stand up.

I certainly don't have more experience than my fighter. My fighter's BJJ coach was at the fight and basically took over being the corner man. I stayed in the corner as a second and for moral support. He hasn't trained with this coach in a few years, but he was definitely much better than I at it and I'm glad he stepped in.

As for the result. . .

Unfortunately, my guy lost in a decision. The first round went to the other guy as he got take downs. My guy was close to a triangle choke, but just couldn't get his legs locked around the other guy.

The second round my fighter dominated, but just couldn't put him away. He had his back, but just couldn't sink the choke. He pounded the sides of his head pretty good. I think if he wouldn't have tried so hard to put him to sleep he may have had the energy to pound the guy for a ref's stoppage.

The third round was pretty even both trading some punches and my guy getting in some good kicks to the legs and side until about 15 seconds before the end of the fight when my guy took a pretty hard right that impressed the crowd and the judges and I think was the difference maker.

Thanks again everyone!

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Butterbean v local guy was at the main fight on the card and what a disappointment Butterbean turned out to be.

I think he thinks he can just stroll into small towns and beat what they have to offer. With his celebrity he was also able to get the rules modified where the ref had to stand them back up after 10 seconds on the ground. One of the cool things about having a coaches pass was that I was able to see some of the things going on behind the scenes.

Anyway, a tough local boy stepped right up to Butterbean and started pounding the hell out of him and within seconds Butterbean is complaining of a groing strike after taking a few knees to the gut. The ref separates them and local boy starts pounding the crap out of him again, immediately Butterbean starts jawing about low blows. Anyway the match ended up in a double-disqualification and a really pissed off crowd.

I don't know how the guy fighting Butterbean could find Butterbean's groin. I don't think Butterbean couldn't find it himself with three mirrors and a spotlight.

Latest Discussions