help - Getting a person to see the value of promoting my *FREE* class

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cheap. Our YMCA program is $40 for members, $60 for non-members.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw the stack of flyers to go out to every 2nd through 5th grader in the school system here tonight. Hopefully it does some good. Put up a class facebook page with a new class picture and a picture of the 4 current instructors. I'm in all black. Address is in my sig.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flyers are trickling out. Apparently not all the schools send stuff out the same day. We know that 1 school has sent them out, we scored 4 new students last night. I know that 2 other schools for sure haven't sent anything out, because current students haven't seen the flyer yet.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had 23 students in my beginners class tonight. The last night of april, I had 7. And I was missing students tonight. I've been told if I can push the number over 30 I can have the youth gym, which is huge (and not in use) and would let me break up into small groups easier.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's all about perceived value. If you give it away for free, people think it's not worth anything. Take your white belts and go stand in the centre of town in branded T-shirts, advertising that this is a one time offer to try something for 5 dollars that normally costs 10, and you're beating them away with a stick. Go figure.

Gnarlie

It IS bizarre, isn't it? You would think no one would turn down something free, and yet they do!

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your situation is quite particular: 30 years school open and 'free'. So I really don't know what is missing.

But, generally speaking, as a searcher of schools each time I change my address, I find a bit dumb when a school is not on google maps, online directories (like dojos.co.uk) or doesn't have any webpage. Google search likes social media and it is easy to use for the publisher. And I like to have enough information before jumping in a school, in order to save time and avoiding embarrassing situations... (last one was a volunteer doing a sort of kata with all the class applauding during and after that) Anyway, in doubt, nothing better than a trial class. Web presence may not correspond to the facts...