Hello!

OP
The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

It's been awhile since I've posted here, sorry bout that, but I have a great excuse - My wuxia novel, Dream of the Dragon Pool - A Daoist Quest, is doing well and I've been taking care of business, so to speak!

If you've been to my website, then you know my objective is to make the Chinese wuxia genre an accepted genre in English language storytelling.

I don't know if this is allowed in this forum, but I have to share with you a terrific review that I got from one of Amazon's top 50 reviewers - there are more reviews on my website:

stars-5-0._V47081849_.gif
All this...and a drunken monkey!, May 25, 2007
By Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews

The great poet, Li Bo, has been ordered into exile, but on his way out of the Empire he decides to stop at Dream Temple, "a place where dreams bring peace to troubled hearts." But, the dream vision he receives sends him and his friend Ah Wu on a quest to bring the magical Dragon Pool Sword to the Rain Goddess on Mount Wu. And so, Li Bo sets out on an epic quest that will lead him through life and death, and choices...and back again.

OK, Where do I start? I have read and enjoyed a few pieces of Chinese literature before, and found them interesting, if heavy, going (most notably Chang Hsi-kuo's city trilogy). This book was written by Albert A. Dalia, a Western scholar and traveler with two masters degrees and a Ph.D. in Chinese history and religion, and it ably succeeds in bringing a Chinese story home to a Western reader.

The story is set in eighth-century China, but it is the China of legend. Through his quest, Li Bo and the reader meet ghosts and dragons, magical assassins and potent shamanesses, magic swords and Immortals...oh yeah, and a drunken monkey. The story itself is quite excellent, being equal to any of the recent wuxia movies coming out (including House of Flying Daggers, which I highly enjoyed).

So, let me sum up by saying that this is an excellent fantasy story, a wonderful Chinese-style story that brings Chinese culture and religion within the grasp of a Western reader, and a very entertaining read. All this...and a drunken monkey. Come on, you know you *have* to read this book!

I loved this book, and give it my highest recommendations!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, we hope you enjoy the info here. There are a lot of awesome people in the group.

OP
The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry I've been gone awhile, but have been traveling through the Internet jianghu telling everyone about my newly published wuxia (Chinese heroic fiction) novel, Dream of the Dragon Pool - A Daoist Quest. I've been getting great reviews, check them out on my website or on Amazon.com. One of the latest is a great, an in depth look vis a vis Chinese martial arts movie history! Check out www.kungfucinema.com You can't miss it! Enjoy!

Allie

White Belt
Reaction score
who, who moves mountains, travels the world, opens all eyes, returns to the mountains and find nothing but the wind.

Latest Discussions