Hello

LibertyCoin

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could be of help, I purchase random and unique items which, I usually have knowledge in , every now and than, I am offered WWII Swords which, of course, I am not versed in. I was hope this community might be able to point me in the right direction or help me identify some markings on a few different blades. I have researched via Google, figured out what each is supposed to mean, though I cannot find matching characters to correspond this sword to. It is a 24" Wakisashi from what I have been able to ascertain
DSC_0066.JPG
. Thank you very much in advance.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is the question? The hanzi/kanji isn't anything particular extraordinary is there a particular one you want to know or all or what it means?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Greetings,
Translating mei (signatures) on Japanese swords is a pretty esoteric exercise that's best handled by knowledgeable collectors, of which I don't believe there are any on this board.
That being said, here are a couple of suggestions to get you the information you are looking for ...
First, I advise popping in to Swordforum's Nihonto Forum ... Nihon-to Forum
Check out the sticky post at the top to see how to properly orient the signature, and what sort of pictures to include in order to have your sword properly identified. They have some very knowledgeable people that stop in there occasionally, but it doesn't get too much traffic these days either.
Second, I advise going and asking this question on the Nihonto Message Board ... Nihonto Message Board
They have an entire forum devoted to translation assistance, and they are regularly visited by some of the most knowledgeable folks in the Japanese sword collecting community.

Good luck, and post your results here if you don't mind!

OP
L

LibertyCoin

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,
Translating mei (signatures) on Japanese swords is a pretty esoteric exercise that's best handled by knowledgeable collectors, of which I don't believe there are any on this board.
That being said, here are a couple of suggestions to get you the information you are looking for ...
First, I advise popping in to Swordforum's Nihonto Forum ... Nihon-to Forum
Check out the sticky post at the top to see how to properly orient the signature, and what sort of pictures to include in order to have your sword properly identified. They have some very knowledgeable people that stop in there occasionally, but it doesn't get too much traffic these days either.
Second, I advise going and asking this question on the Nihonto Message Board ... Nihonto Message Board
They have an entire forum devoted to translation assistance, and they are regularly visited by some of the most knowledgeable folks in the Japanese sword collecting community.

Good luck, and post your results here if you don't mind!

Thank you very much for the help!!

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the Hizen no Kuni Tadayoshi family from Saga. They are all interred at my very good freinds temple Cho-an Ji.

Tadayoshi Junin was the third successor.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 455

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Might I add that forgeries were made many years ago, even in Japan. Twice a Katana Kantei freind has shown me very old famous japanese tangs that have been reforged on to a newer blade. For example a tang made in the 1600s could have blade reforged on it in the 1700s.