Seizan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello folks,

It's been some time since I've been on any forums, so I thought if I make a comeback it would be best to just reintroduce myself...

My name is Seizan Breyette, a UechiRyu practitioner and teacher on Okinawa. My wife and I own a dojo in Nagahama Yomitan, Japan. I teach UechiRyu KarateDo, and she assists in the dojo plus teaches yoga.

I began UechiRyu training in Plattsburgh NY in 1974. I came to Okinawa as an Air Force member in 1979, and pretty much stayed here since (a few short-term assignments back Stateside but always back here after). I was a member of the Futenma Dojo under Uechi Kanei Sensei, then under various senior students until enrolling under Toyama Seiko Sensei in 1998, the last active student of Uechi Kanbun Sensei, the Founder of UechiRyu. At that point, I made the changeover to the old original performance style, and relearned the philosophy of the system in accordance with the Founder's vision.

I had been teaching on Okinawa since 1986 and at one time had 6 active dojo on the military installations. When I became Toyama Sensei's student, I closed all but one dojo (the Kadena Air Base Dojo) and did more retraining than teaching for a time. My wife and I built our home and dojo just 10 minutes from Sensei's Zakimi Shubukan in 2000, and I consolidated my Air Base students into the Nagahama Dojo in 2002, closing the Air Base Dojo.

In 2002 I began teaching English at a local Japanese middle school and have been full-time employed in that position since.

In 2009, Toyama Sensei passed away but his association continues to train and preserve the system as he taught us -- the Okinawa KarateDo UechiRyu Zankyokai.

If you have any questions about the Nagahama Dojo, the style or training, or are interested enough to visit for a taste, I will be happy to discuss with you. If you prefer private mail, please visit my profile for my e-mail address and website. I hope to hear from you anytime...!

Best to all, and looking forward to some fruitful discussions.

Seizan

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello folks,

It's been some time since I've been on any forums, so I thought if I make a comeback it would be best to just reintroduce myself...

My name is Seizan Breyette, a UechiRyu practitioner and teacher on Okinawa. My wife and I own a dojo in Nagahama Yomitan, Japan. I teach UechiRyu KarateDo, and she assists in the dojo plus teaches yoga.

I began UechiRyu training in Plattsburgh NY in 1974. I came to Okinawa as an Air Force member in 1979, and pretty much stayed here since (a few short-term assignments back Stateside but always back here after). I was a member of the Futenma Dojo under Uechi Kanei Sensei, then under various senior students until enrolling under Toyama Seiko Sensei in 1998, the last active student of Uechi Kanbun Sensei, the Founder of UechiRyu. At that point, I made the changeover to the old original performance style, and relearned the philosophy of the system in accordance with the Founder's vision.

I had been teaching on Okinawa since 1986 and at one time had 6 active dojo on the military installations. When I became Toyama Sensei's student, I closed all but one dojo (the Kadena Air Base Dojo) and did more retraining than teaching for a time. My wife and I built our home and dojo just 10 minutes from Sensei's Zakimi Shubukan in 2000, and I consolidated my Air Base students into the Nagahama Dojo in 2002, closing the Air Base Dojo.

In 2002 I began teaching English at a local Japanese middle school and have been full-time employed in that position since.

In 2009, Toyama Sensei passed away but his association continues to train and preserve the system as he taught us -- the Okinawa KarateDo UechiRyu Zankyokai.

If you have any questions about the Nagahama Dojo, the style or training, or are interested enough to visit for a taste, I will be happy to discuss with you. If you prefer private mail, please visit my profile for my e-mail address and website. I hope to hear from you anytime...!

Seizan

Welcome back! I am an Isshinryu karateka. I was stationed on Okinawa in the Marines from 82-83. I was an MP stationed at Camp Butler, and spent a lot of time at both Kadena and Futenma. It was an amazing time and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

OP
Seizan

Seizan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, and thanks for the welcome. I have been a member of MartialTalk for ten years but haven't been to the site for quite some time. I remember some very good exchanges from the past and look forward to more of the same if I can be of any help.

OP
Seizan

Seizan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome back! I am an Isshinryu karateka. I was stationed on Okinawa in the Marines from 82-83. I was an MP stationed at Camp Butler, and spent a lot of time at both Kadena and Futenma. It was an amazing time and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Were you a student of Uezu Angi Sensei, or Shimabukuru Sensei? I knew Uezu Sensei around then; Greg Gudson and I did some preservation work for him on his certificates. Uezu Sensei gave me the full set of his videos and a book one of his American students published.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Were you a student of Uezu Angi Sensei, or Shimabukuru Sensei? I knew Uezu Sensei around then; Greg Gudson and I did some preservation work for him on his certificates. Uezu Sensei gave me the full set of his videos and a book one of his American students published.

Uezu Angi Sensei - I was not his student, but he worked as a Japanese Security Guard on the base where I was a patrol supervisor and desk sgt at that time. I was introduced to him by one of my fellow MPs who did train with him. He was a very nice person.

I did not train when I was a young man; foolishly I missed that opportunity when I was on Okinawa. Instead, I started training in my 40s, here in SE Michigan, under a 9th dan student of two of Shimabuku Tatsuo's first-generation American students, Harrill and Mitchum Senseis.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back! Good to see you. :)

Kiki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Seizan

Teaching karate in Okinawa, that is amazing. I have a shodan in Goju Ryu and one in kobudo... actually just recently started training again after many years off. Would love to visit Okinawa one day.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome back. Looking forward to your input.

I was also on Okinawa from 62 to 64. Our barracks were in Sukiran, but I seem to remember we trained in the Yomitan area. There was a place called bolo point where there was a firing range. We also jumped on an old Japanese airfield. I don't recall its name after these years.

Like Bill, I wasn't smart enough to train there.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
thats quite a story you got there.

p.s. hello!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Seizan

Enjoy the forums!

OP
Seizan

Seizan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good morning from Okinawa. Thunderstorms since early this morning, looks like this will last for a time...

My knowledge is pretty much limited to UechiRyu only (and some weather expertise, having been a USAF career weatherman until retirement). Sadly, living on Okinawa since 1979 didn't make me an expert in all things Okinawan, not even the language... Yeah, I'm really that dense. But I can answer questions as long as they are UechiRyu-related.

However -- my wife's Taco Rice, chia bread, and cake recipes remain a secret.

For now I will just drop into the background, visiting from time to time, and responding when asked. You're likely to get a faster response if you e-mail me.

My website:

zkk-nghm-dojo

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good morning from Okinawa. Thunderstorms since early this morning, looks like this will last for a time...

My knowledge is pretty much limited to UechiRyu only (and some weather expertise, having been a USAF career weatherman until retirement). Sadly, living on Okinawa since 1979 didn't make me an expert in all things Okinawan, not even the language... Yeah, I'm really that dense. But I can answer questions as long as they are UechiRyu-related.

However -- my wife's Taco Rice, chia bread, and cake recipes remain a secret.

For now I will just drop into the background, visiting from time to time, and responding when asked. You're likely to get a faster response if you e-mail me.

My website:

zkk-nghm-dojo

I was on Okinawa for Super Typhoon Forrest. Exciting.