Hello from Ohio

VintageModMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My name is Michael I am 25 years old. I practiced under Sensei Harvey Crews for 1 year in Shorin Ryu and the Budo Ryu fighting system in his words I was his uchi deshi. (He even taught me to drive) He pasted away about 2 years ago. I had life happen with lots of relocation so my training under him was cut short years ago and I am in a position again to practice under someone new in Shorin Ryu and Muay Thai.

I have been hesitant to do so because of attachment however I feel I am ready to move forward. I have missed out on a lot of training time so I have started doing my warm up stretches and practicing what I do remember. I have changed my eating habits back as well so hopefully I can get back to a solid 200 l'bs. Being 5 10" and 250lbs. I plan on starting early morning jogs before work as well. I want to be back on par with where I was years ago and build upon it. So I believe the first steps are getting healthy.

I have a passion for the arts involved being able to fight and protecting my family is great but the Do: The way is very important for myself the amount of awareness of my anger, my pride, my patience the movements of my body.

I hope to learn through all of you and your suggestions as well. I was taught that no one style is best and no one teacher is best but to learn good habits from all. I look forward to speaking with all of you!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My name is Michael I am 25 years old. I practiced under Sensei Harvey Crews for 1 year in Shorin Ryu and the Budo Ryu fighting system in his words I was his uchi deshi. (He even taught me to drive) He pasted away about 2 years ago. I had life happen with lots of relocation so my training under him was cut short years ago and I am in a position again to practice under someone new in Shorin Ryu and Muay Thai.

I have been hesitant to do so because of attachment however I feel I am ready to move forward. I have missed out on a lot of training time so I have started doing my warm up stretches and practicing what I do remember. I have changed my eating habits back as well so hopefully I can get back to a solid 200 l'bs. Being 5 10" and 250lbs. I plan on starting early morning jogs before work as well. I want to be back on par with where I was years ago and build upon it. So I believe the first steps are getting healthy.

I have a passion for the arts involved being able to fight and protecting my family is great but the Do: The way is very important for myself the amount of awareness of my anger, my pride, my patience the movements of my body.

I hope to learn through all of you and your suggestions as well. I was taught that no one style is best and no one teacher is best but to learn good habits from all. I look forward to speaking with all of you!

Welcome to MT! You're only a bit larger that I am, same height. Good on you for working out! I'd love to get down to 225 - that's where I feel healthiest. Bout 20 over that right now.

OP
V

VintageModMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! You're only a bit larger that I am, same height. Good on you for working out! I'd love to get down to 225 - that's where I feel healthiest. Bout 20 over that right now.
I have been up and down since I have gotten married and had a child. After martial arts training I was down to 200 from being 285. I have now maintained about 250 consistently for about a year. I really want to get back to that I felt great and was happy with myself. I could get out of bed without feeling like crap all the time. Its time for a serious reboot. I can't do it anymore. Also I would be interested In meeting up with people from here an training as well I think it would be a great learning experience.

OP
V

VintageModMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also to pay homage this was Sensei Crews not the best pictures but he was a great teacher and inspiration to me much like a father on his own right.
9d6ec0f900d80caaa1566c7f8af2a032.jpg
973d59353c1f68dd030380a907a980b4.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, bro. :)

OP
V

VintageModMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Passed away*

OP
V

VintageModMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So just going to throw this out here... I think Martial Arts are in my blood here is my daughter 17 months old.
8bb9fc31445d8d7001864f71fd412e29.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
kung-fu-hustle-yuen-woo-ping4_1c7949b4ab8c70450b496361d147a0f1.jpg

Amazing!

Did you know she has a special aura?

She so young, but have the bone structure...and chi flow of a kung-fu genius.

If her chi flow can be channeled, then she will be invincible!

Like the old saying: You cannot escape your destiny.

The duty of upholding world peace and punishing evil will be hers.

This is the scroll of the Buddhist Palm.

It's priceless.

But as it's fate,

I'll let you have it for $ 10.

Note: I do accept paypal.

OP
V

VintageModMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kung-fu-hustle-yuen-woo-ping4_1c7949b4ab8c70450b496361d147a0f1.jpg

Amazing!

Did you know she has a special aura?

She so young, but have the bone structure...and chi flow of a kung-fu genius.

If her chi flow can be channeled, then she will be invincible!

Like the old saying: You cannot escape your destiny.

The duty of upholding world peace and punishing evil will be hers.

This is the scroll of the Buddhist Palm.

It's priceless.

But as it's fate,

I'll let you have it for $ 10.

Note: I do accept paypal.
This made me laugh so hard kung fu hustle of I recall correctly?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Sound like your old sensei meant a lot to you.. to carry his fighting spirit to your next dojo is I think a respect to him too I think :) Good luck with getting back to it

Latest Discussions