Hello from NJ!

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls!

My name is Max, I'm 31, and I just started training at Killer B Combat Sports Academy after taking an 8 year break from martial arts due to elbow injuries, shoulder injuries, and several back injuries (not all at once! over the span of those 8 years).

I did TKD from 9 - 19 years old, and then I did Aikido from 19 - 23 years old while I was at college. While at college I also met regularly with some folks for weekly sparring and training sessions. I had a chance to try my skills against boxers, kickboxers, wrestlers, and a few BJJ guys. Having come from a point-sparring TKD background, I'm sure you can imagine how some of these training sessions went. The cross-training really opened my eyes to the wider(er) world of combat sports.

During my 8 year hiatus, I continued exercising in the gym with weights (one of the causes for several of my injuries...). For a while, I focused pretty heavily on getting my bench, squat, and deadlift numbers up. I have a few achievements in that area that I consider note-worthy:

Low-bar squat 500lb x 1:
Low-bar squat 235lb x 30 for my 30th birthday:

Starting martial arts training again, I'm finding that the biggest area I need to improve is my cardio and conditioning. Thankfully the technique and other aspects are coming back a bit more naturally!

See you guys around!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, bro, glad to have you aboard.

Every day will be the youngest you have ever been. (and ain't that a *****?) Relax, enjoy your training and enjoy putting it all together.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how do you like NJ. That 500 LB squat is impressive. This one time I squatted a little over 500 LBS and I went below parallel and managed the squat but broke my arm.

OP
Z

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So how do you like NJ. That 500 LB squat is impressive. This one time I squatted a little over 500 LBS and I went below parallel and managed the squat but broke my arm.

I've never been able to pull off 500lbs again. Shortly after that video was taken, I went in for shoulder surgery. Rehab and recovery time dictated that climbing back up to that weight again would be a really steep road, and I didn't feel like dedicating the time or the effort to that again!

OP
Z

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk! What art(s) are you currently training?
I've been attending the striking class at my gym, and will supplement that by adding in grappling classes later this week and going forward. The classes are officially dubbed "Muay Thai" and "Brazilian JuJitsu," but there are definitely other influences in what I'm being taught. The coach, Brian Wright, comes from a Karate and Judo background.