Hello from Eastern Ontario, Canada

MacHudde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have made a couple of threads already but I feel I should introduce myself. My name is Jerry and I took martial arts almost 30 years ago. I was in for about almost 3 years. The particular style that we learned was Kempo as a foundation with some Hung Gar thrown in. For advanced styles, it was Tai Liu and Xingyiquan as well as various other techniques from other styles such as Choy Lay Fut, White Eyebrow, Tam Tiu, and Northern Long Fist. Some of these advanced techniques were taught to certain students at an intermediate belt level who showed dedication. I myself only went to brown belt and left due to internal politics and never got back into martial arts. In the last few years I have started to gain interest in them again, not from a practitioner standpoint but more theoretical and historical. Maybe once I lose some weight and resolve some health issues, I might get back into martial arts.
In regards to Tai Liu, my master was taught by Sigung Saul Tallbear in Las Vegas in the 70s. It's a very interesting style.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bujingodai Dojo. Used to teach a bit on base then out of Pembroke. Ran it out of the back of my warehouse when I managed Crane off Paul Martin Dr

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ninjutsu, this would have been 2000 to 2011 there. My wife is from the area. Grandkids etc still live there. I don't get up there a whole lot.

OP
MacHudde

MacHudde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ninjutsu, this would have been 2000 to 2011 there. My wife is from the area. Grandkids etc still live there. I don't get up there a whole lot.
That is awesome. I moved away from the area in 2004. By that time I had already stopped my martial arts training. After living in Ottawa for almost 20 years I am back in this area. I grew up in Pembroke. I always found Ninjutsu fascinating. It was probably due to all the ninja movies back in the 80s. lol

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a great art for sure. It all depends how and where you get trained or how you see it. I was sort of after the Ninja boom thank God. But I remember that era very well.
Probably the best and worst art I could think of at the same time. Very buyer beware. I was one of the more moderate schools, didn't bother with claims as that is where you get bit.

I do miss the school there. Had 40-60 students then, and a kids class. Here in Oshawa, 4-6 students no kids class. But I do it out of my basement now. For a while I was running one on Boundry road out of a barn, had a great obstacle course in my yard and a climbing wall. Lot's of fun back then. I'm sure it is a good town for a local. I was from Oshawa to begin with, never did get my niche with the general public.
But hey I met my wife there. She's a local.

OP
MacHudde

MacHudde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's a great art for sure. It all depends how and where you get trained or how you see it. I was sort of after the Ninja boom thank God. But I remember that era very well.
Probably the best and worst art I could think of at the same time. Very buyer beware. I was one of the more moderate schools, didn't bother with claims as that is where you get bit.

I do miss the school there. Had 40-60 students then, and a kids class. Here in Oshawa, 4-6 students no kids class. But I do it out of my basement now. For a while I was running one on Boundry road out of a barn, had a great obstacle course in my yard and a climbing wall. Lot's of fun back then. I'm sure it is a good town for a local. I was from Oshawa to begin with, never did get my niche with the general public.
But hey I met my wife there. She's a local.
Sounds awesome. I think those movies from the 80s played a big part in the misconception of Ninjutsu. If you look back at history, they were in most cases farmers or commoners who practiced martial arts and were hired as spies or assassins. There were laws against common folk against carrying swords in Japan at that time, so in a lot of cases they converted farming tools into weapons.