Hello everyone ! This is my routine

HauTruong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello every one ! I'm a Vietnamese boy that love all kind of Martial arts and I got this routine on the Internet , I want to get every body opinion who are an expert or any one learning martial arts , Can these exercises work ?
---------------------
Muay Thai routine on Monday
In the morning :
Run for 3 miles or 30 minutes skipping rope
3 set of 5 minutes shadow boxing
4 to 6 hours later :
-50 Thai Squats*
-50 Forward Jumping Squats*
-50 Side Jumping Squats*
-3 Sets of MAX Push-ups
-3 x 3 Minute Rounds Jump Rope
-3 x 3 Minute Rounds Double Thai Kicks on Heavy Bag or Thai Pads (Alt. Legs After Double Kicks)
-3 x 3 Minute Rounds Punches with Dumbbells
-3 x 5 Minute Rounds Bag Work
-3 Sets MAX Sit-ups
-3 Sets of 25 Side Bends w/weight (each side)
-2 Sets of Gymnastic Bridge to Failure
-3 Sets of 15 Neck Raises w/weight on a rope hanging from mouth
-2 Minutes Tennis Ball Foot Juggling (each leg)
Karate routine on Wednesday
In the morning :
Run 6 miles or 1 hour skipping rope (rest every tire)
500 punches from Basic stance in your karate (Kyokushin=sanchin dachi, shotokan=horse stance ,....)
4 to 6 hours later :
  1. 4 Hill Sprints or 2 Partner Drags/person (if partner available)
  2. MAX Handstand Push-ups
  3. 10 Each of Front Kick, Round Kick, Side Kick, Back Kick
  4. MAX Fingertip Push-ups
  5. 10 Each of Front Kick, Round Kick, Side Kick, Back Kick
  6. MAX Knuckle Push-ups
  7. 10 Each of Front Kick, Round Kick, Side Kick, Back Kick
  8. 10 Stance Changes w/Gripping Jars
  9. 10 Each of Front Kick, Round Kick, Side Kick, Back Kick
  10. 50 Dumbbell/KB Toss (Total Reps)
  11. 20 "Stone Club" Front and Rear Lifts each side
  12. Makiwara Punches (as is comfortable)
  13. Stone Strikes (Flat Slap, Palm Heel, Backfist, Punch, Knifehand, as is comfortable)
  14. 5 Minutes Handwalking or Wheelbarrow Stair Climbs (if partner available)
  15. 500 Strikes on Heavy Bag (Any technique)
Japanese Jiujitsu workout on Friday
In the morning :
Run 3 miles or 30 minutes skipping rope
500 yards bear crawl
4 to 6 hours later :
  1. 50 Pull-ups
  2. 100 Push-ups
  3. 200 Sit-ups
  4. 300 Squats
  5. 10 Minutes "Toe Training" or Chinese Grappling
  6. 30 Minutes Jujitsu Practice
Note*: With condition is I have a rest day between training days (I train with Muay Thai wourkout on Monday and I will do Karate workout on Wednesday) On rest day I will do light training as training Techniques .
Final : I send a thanks for any one that spend their time to read my post ! And alot of appreciate for any one answer my post ! Dear !!

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm no expert but that looks like the kind of workout routine a seasoned ring fighter would have, so unless you fall into that category, I would say that workout is completely overkill, not to mention harmful to your body if you aren't used to it. I know that if I tried to do a routine like that I wouldn't last a single week. I'm also against picking up workouts like this from the internet, when you have no context of their use or the aim behind them. Added to this, everyone is different so a workout that is great for one person may not be good for you. If you want a good workout I would fully recommend visiting a fitness instructor or personal trainer rather than choosing a random workout from the internet.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with everything midnight-shadow said, but want to add that if you are fighting competitively, there is a serious lack of sparring there. I would ordinarily assume that you are sparring t/th, but guessing you're not since you stated those are rest days.

That said, this is absolutely something you would want to work up to, and if you are not a seasoned fighter who has been doing this routine for a long time, consistency is much more important than intensity, and I'm failing to find consistency in this (half the days are rest days which may prevent a routine, break between running and working out, randomish drills while working out). A better bet is to find a personal trainer or ask your sensei, and build up to a more consistent workout routine.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Where is martial and the artistic side of it? I am afraid it is only fitness...
More specifically, who will tell you the details of the techniques? Who are your training / sparring partners? ...

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you have any difficulty, you don't have to do 100 pushups *all at once*. You can work up to that. Do as many pushups as you can, then move on to the next exercise. Later, you can do more pushups until you reach a total of 100. This applies to all of the exercises.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...but want to add that if you are fighting competitively, there is a serious lack of sparring there. I would ordinarily assume that you are sparring t/th, but guessing you're not since you stated those are rest days.
In my opinion sparring is important in any case. Otherwise, where is the martial art? Fighting and war, the ultimate uses of martial arts may be too far for must of us, but some level of sparring is suitable for virtually anyone.
If you can't do your job with opposition, you have no martial skill...

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion sparring is important in any case. Otherwise, where is the martial art? Fighting and war, the ultimate uses of martial arts may be too far for must of us, but some level of sparring is suitable for virtually anyone.
If you can't do your job with opposition, you have no martial skill...

This reminds me of Rory Miller's 1-step drill. If nothing else, it gives you a way to 'spar' in ANY style of martial arts, by simply reducing speed. There's no excuse for not sparring. Just add as many safety checks as you need to feel comfortable and start rough & tumbling.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This reminds me of Rory Miller's 1-step drill. If nothing else, it gives you a way to 'spar' in ANY style of martial arts, by simply reducing speed. There's no excuse for not sparring. Just add as many safety checks as you need to feel comfortable and start rough & tumbling.

I'm a huge fan of 1-step and 2-step sparring as an introduction before free sparring, especially for beginners who are nervous about hitting someone or getting hit themselves.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Red Sun if you like Rory Miller, you must be a good girl. :)

One of my sparring partners is +70 years old and sparred 55 minutes last training. "There's no excuse for not sparring."

And for safety and learning purposes I only ask for low speed. Or, at least, light head strikes. Year after year without injuries, so far. No need for arbitrary restrictions, specially if you are interested in self defence...

Last edited:

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of 1-step and 2-step sparring as an introduction before free sparring, especially for beginners who are nervous about hitting someone or getting hit themselves.

1 step sparring is pretty cool because you learn awesome counter attacks. I hate 2 step sparring tho because it seems a bit too unrealistic. 1 prefer 1 step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
1 step sparring is pretty cool because you learn awesome counter attacks. I hate 2 step sparring tho because it seems a bit too unrealistic. 1 prefer 1 step

Nobody does 3 step sparring anymore?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nobody does 3 step sparring anymore?

The chances of you being able to land 3 consecutive strikes after a block without your opponent reacting are pretty slim. 2 attacks is doable but not 3, so I don't see much point in 3-step sparring.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Hau Truong

That's a pretty intense workout. It is doable, but you might want to work up to it unless you are already very used to that level of intensity. Then you need to figure out if it has any practical value for you. Will you try to increase speed, or go for even more strength, or just maintain that level of activity?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The chances of you being able to land 3 consecutive strikes after a block without your opponent reacting are pretty slim. 2 attacks is doable but not 3, so I don't see much point in 3-step sparring.

Sorry, I guess I was thinking of training from too long ago. 1 step sparring was blocking a strike and counter-attacking. 2 step was blocking two strikes and a counter-attack. 3 step was (you guessed it) blocking 3 strikes and then a counter-attack. Blocks were full contact to deflect a strike, strikes were as close as you could get without actually hitting a person. The counter-attack could be a strike or a grapple, but would be against the attacking hand.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW Hau Truong, welcome to MT. You might want to go to the Meet and Greet forum and tell us more about yourself.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I was thinking of training from too long ago. 1 step sparring was blocking a strike and counter-attacking. 2 step was blocking two strikes and a counter-attack. 3 step was (you guessed it) blocking 3 strikes and then a counter-attack. Blocks were full contact to deflect a strike, strikes were as close as you could get without actually hitting a person. The counter-attack could be a strike or a grapple, but would be against the attacking hand.

Ah I see. For us, 2-step sparring is blocking 1 strike and then counter-attacking twice.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You do that workout you'll stop in about 2 weeks. That's far to much the body can only take so much before you stop. Don't get workouts from the Internet do your own thing. When you run don't say I'm going to do 5 miles don't think about your going to do just do it if you make it to 5 miles but if you simply can't for whatever reason that day then stop. In my younger days I used to be able to 6 miles in about 40 minutes some days other days I could barely do 2 you've got to do what your body can do otherwise you're doing more harm than good, any trainer will tell you need a rest day

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whenever I was training I never did a set workout one day if I felt good I'd some sit ups or some press ups if I was tired I rested, if I wanted to I went for a run if I didnt I didn't. Just relax with it you've got no pressure to do anything especially if it's simply a hobby if you're competing then yeah you will have to push out of your comfort zone but other wise just do what you can

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You do that workout you'll stop in about 2 weeks. That's far to much the body can only take so much before you stop. Don't get workouts from the Internet do your own thing. When you run don't say I'm going to do 5 miles don't think about your going to do just do it if you make it to 5 miles but if you simply can't for whatever reason that day then stop. In my younger days I used to be able to 6 miles in about 40 minutes some days other days I could barely do 2 you've got to do what your body can do otherwise you're doing more harm than good, any trainer will tell you need a rest day

I agree with you. That would take some extreme perseverance