Heel up vs heel down.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is the full study referenced in Brian's link. Can you provide a link to whichever study you were looking at?

I'm not even sure how you could have subjects on their knees and with their heels flat on the ground at the same time. That doesn't seem anatomically possible.
It's not anatomically possible, and that was why I felt the whole thing was just flawed. The premise from the beginning does not make sense. I'm glad you pointed me in the right direction. I was starting to question Brian's good judgement. :)

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was taught heel down in American Kenpo and heel up in boxing. I utilize them both depending on the situation, opponent strength & speed, and along with my environment. One delivers more power and solidification while the other offers faster strikes and mobility. Both are important to train.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both heels down. In addition, both feet should be pointed the same direction, typically towards the target. The typical American karate method of letting the rear foot point off at an angle is robbing power because it makes it much harder to rotate the hips to generate power.

I will grant that for someone who has never done it before, it feels 'odd' to keep both feet pointed in the same direction while punching, but it is (IMHO) the best way to generate power. Heels of course both firmly down.

Hold on now. I've been teaching American Karate for a long time. The rear foot has never been pointing off at an angle. The feet are always pointing in the same direction.

As for your rear foot down....I guess that's up to you. Certainly not for me.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hold on now. I've been teaching American Karate for a long time. The rear foot has never been pointing off at an angle. The feet are always pointing in the same direction.

As for your rear foot down....I guess that's up to you. Certainly not for me.

Sorry, I meant 'typical' karate as taught in America, not a particular named-style. My bad!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant 'typical' karate as taught in America, not a particular named-style. My bad!
If you are a thruster, you keep your toes pointed at the target, and enjoy the dynamics of the step-through. If not, you spread your toes apart and swing your arms back and forth. :cool:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, without having read the entire study and their parameters and controls and whatnot, I will say that limb proportion for a modern human is such that being on all fours is awkward for most activities, which would include striking downward. Looks to me like the photos show people down on their knees, which is an awkward position to be in for many activities. Great apes have a different limb proportion so they are still on their feet and not down on their knees when knuckle-walking, and being in that posture is MUCH less awkward for them than for humans. Early human ancestors would have had different limb proportions from modern humans as well, so I'm not sure how this theory would hold up, in terms of human evolution. Early human ancestors and apes of any kind, do not walk around on their knees. Whatever their limb proportions, and whether they are bipedal or quadrupedal, they are on their feet, not their knees. People did not evolve from moving on their knees to moving on their feet. So conducting the study with people doing activities while on their knees strikes me as very problematic for the study.
He does a good job on all fours.

I didn't have the sound on so forgive me if this one is off base

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both heels down. In addition, both feet should be pointed the same direction, typically towards the target. The typical American karate method of letting the rear foot point off at an angle is robbing power because it makes it much harder to rotate the hips to generate power.

I will grant that for someone who has never done it before, it feels 'odd' to keep both feet pointed in the same direction while punching, but it is (IMHO) the best way to generate power. Heels of course both firmly down.

Yeah, but you guys just punch weird. You don't even fully turn your fist over :)

Latest Discussions