heavy weight GI?

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why would someone choose to wear a heavy weight GI? Obviouly, stronger, more durable, warmer?, snaps, disadvantages, in my mind, warmer, creates more sweat, holds more sweat guess thats about it.

I can see that snaping noise might be a big benefit in Katas, but....

In the past when exercising we always tended to lighter clothes, tee shirt v seat shirt, shorts over long pants.

Thanks.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I prefer the heavier uniforms. Both uniforms in my current rotation are heavy weights (Shureido and Hirota). Both are heavy weight and both are a polycotton blend.

I think it depends on what your training consists of. If you are only training impact (Strikes and blocks), then I don't see the need for a heavy weight uniform. If you are training grappling and throws, then, IMO, the heavier uniforms are far more durable.

I also like to sweat.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A few points:

You'll often read on the internet that lightweight gis are for kumite. This statement is true, but misleading. While ALL gis designed for kumite are lightweight, not all lightweight gis are designed for kumite. For example, that free gi you're wearing right now is not designed for kumite. It's simply a low-investment gi for new students. A new student CAN comfortably train in a medium weight gi (but not a heavyweight). That said, if you're going to order a Shureido or other Japanese brand, ordering a lightweight for everyday training is a waste (with one exception, at the end).

That's the first rule of thumb for lightweight gis.

Middleweight gi - normal everyday training. 'Nuff said.

Heavyweight gi - some people simply prefer them over middleweight gis. For me, personally - and I know a few others as well - some people have a special gi that they set aside and not subject to everyday use - a "Sunday best" of sorts. For example, testing, or sitting on a panel for testing or judging, demonstrations for the public, anything formal where you want to look your best. Typically, it's a heavyweight gi for those who do this.

Of note - if you're Kyokushin, Shorinkan, or any other style or association where belt testing is designed to be physically rigorous, I wouldn't be against the idea of a Japanese lightweight training gi set aside for that purpose. But you could also simply keep the free gi that was issued to you for that purpose.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
BTW, my previous post does follow my personal preferences, but you'll also find this to be consistent with much of what you'll find online.

The reason I prefer - and would highly recommend - a middleweight gi for normal everyday routine training is that I find it to be the most comfortable. Heavy enough to absorb sweat like it needs to, and light enough to breath. Are heavyweight gis louder? Sure. But for everyday routine training, "loud" is not my concern. But I do want at least some response from it, which a lightweight gi tends not to be able to give you.

Some others here prefer heavyweight gis and have their reasons. No one's wrong, as it all comes down to preferences.

Last edited:

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Doesn’t break as easy and heavier weight means harder workout same as wearing heavier gloves

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
In uechi ryu we do so much grabing and pulling ,heavy contact stuff a lightweight gi actually pulls on the skin and hurts. Not to mention it would be torn apart withing a few weeks. Even the heavy weight Gi have the sleeves and collars ripped. A judo gi would be more appropriate but its karate so they wear a karate gi. After wearing a heavyweight for a time going to a light weight makes you feel naked.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In uechi ryu we do so much grabing and pulling ,heavy contact stuff a lightweight gi actually pulls on the skin and hurts. Not to mention it would be torn apart withing a few weeks. Even the heavy weight Gi have the sleeves and collars ripped. A judo gi would be more appropriate but its karate so they wear a karate gi.
In Wado Ryu we had many throws and pulling-off-balance moves which would’ve torn a light-weight keikogi. Heavier and stiffer, the better, in my opinion.
After wearing a heavyweight for a time going to a light weight makes you feel naked.
I bought a beautiful, matte black silk Iaido keikogi from hot summer practise, but as you say, it was very disconcerting to not be able to feel it on one’s body! I wore it only once!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Going along with what Hot Lunch has stated above. At my school, students with less than 3-4 years of training wear the economy lightweight cotton uniform issued by the school (Sun brand, Choi Brothers Int. out of Chicago, IL fwiw). After a few years, many opt for the school issued heavy weight uniform (Also Sun Brand, both 10 oz and 12 oz). Some opt for higher quality uniforms, some custom tailored, others not (Shureido, Tokaido, Hirota, etc.)

Beyond breathability and durability, the biggest difference I see between lightweight and heavyweight uniforms is the "feel" of them. As noted by the pictures below, the lightweight uniform hangs on you, whereas the heavyweight uniform supports itself a bit. It both looks different to the observer (possibly important in forms/kata competition) and the wearer (more important to me, personally).

I also prefer to have a "Sunday Best" as Hot Lunch stated above. It is merely a personal preference, but I prefer to represent my school, teacher and organization the best that I can; including my presentation. If I'm merely sitting at an examiners/judges table, I personally don't want to be wearing something yellowed and crusty.

Personally, I view it similar to any other professional setting. I wouldn't expect a coach in any other sport, or a senior in any professional setting to be wearing an old workout shirt, team jersey, or dress shirt with stains or holes in them.

I wash my uniforms after each training session and air dry them. After a year or two, all of them begin to yellow around the arm pits and collar for me. I try to keep one uniform that is "pristine" for formal occasions.

I think it's about personal preference and maybe even individual school norms. Some folks like to show you the years of training by wearing the same old uniform and belt they've had for 10, 20, 30+ years. Some prefer to purchase new ones, when their old ones wear down.

For day to day training, my personal preference based on comfort, reaction to movement, durability, and presentation are the heavy weight uniforms. They tend to last me 5 years or more, as long as I have at least two uniforms in my weekly rotation. I will admit, I trained for 30+ years before I purchased "premium" uniform. Prior to that I predominately used heavy cotton or polycotton Sun Brand uniforms. I can honestly say I see a significant difference in the uniform design, construction, and feel between a $60-80 heavy uniform vs a $250-350 heavy uniform. It's a bigger investment, but one I am personally willing to pay.

So to summarize:
budomart-america-tokaido-wkf-kumite-master-ii-gi-tok-kum-mtr-wkf-wh-ii.png

Lightweight uniforms are:
-cheaper
-breath the best
-less durable
enso-martial-arts-shop-heavyweight-karate-gi.jpg

Heavyweight uniforms are:
-vary from marginally more expensive than lightweight uniforms to significantly more expensive
-breathability varies depending on fabric composition, fabric weave, engineered vents, etc.
- tend to be more durable for grabbing, pulling, etc.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
…and, judging from the above images, you can still look equally dorky in either weight of keikogi!😉

Yeah, I think we've all heard the pajama jokes at some point or another! **Usually accompanied by Bruce Lee noises**

I know I heard them a bunch when I was a kid from other non-martial arts kids.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think we've all heard the pajama jokes at some point or another! **Usually accompanied by Bruce Lee noises**

I know I heard them a bunch when I was a kid from other non-martial arts kids.
I actually used to wear my judogi as pyjamas when I was a kid and feeling under the weather. I loved the smell of the canvas….🥲

Latest Discussions