heavy metal thread, part 2

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Er, I was there :D. Def Leppard were part of it, as were other bands we haven't yet mentioned, like Magnum. Terms appear to have changed their meaning over the past three decades and in their transition over the Atlantic :).

well i know you were there, sukerkin, but that doesn't make the idea more surprising to me. apologies if i implied otherwise :asian:. of course we'll have different perspectives because i was playing catch-up on music at the age of 12, plus i was in the middle of kansas. so when i discovered rock 'n' roll, i soaked up as many bands as i could & really didn't have much information on them. i just knew i liked it. coming from that perspective, as a kid just listening to everything he could, i never grouped def leppard in my head as part of NWOBM or even metal for that matter. i just thought of them as a hard rock band that had more in common with poison or skid row than with venom. & there's nothing wrong with that; i listened to skid row & bang tango & all that stuf too, i just never liked def leppard or thought of them as metal.

jf

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was never big on Def Leppard and for me NWOBM will always have its place and but right now I personally am more interested in the *legacy* it has left. I mean NWOBM is over, right? It is like the folk who lament the passing of the 80s or 90s - while I accept the undoubted influence, still we need to move on, would you not agree? For me, always and ever, Lemmy will never be beat!! Why can we not have more of THIS... This is the kind of NWOBM legacy (as I see it) that I am happy to pursue :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

hell yeah, motorhead. good post, thanks!

i hear what you're saying about moving on. i'm just feeling nostalgic lately. see i forgot how much i liked metal until about a year ago & started catching up on all these bands from the last 10 years. it was the exact same feeling as when i was a kid & was really listening to music for the first time...so i've been digging up all those old bands i listened to back then, too.

jf

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ozzy was most certainly not part of it - he may be the Prince of Darkness to many but, to old school British rockers, he's the Prince of Sell Out! Thankfully, Sabbath did a number of good albums after he slunk off to Yankee Land - which is because the true musicians remained. He has of course redeemed himself in many ways by the simple act of not actually being dead yet :lol:.

oh yeah, ozzy. i know what you mean. i was more of a randy rhodes fan than an ozzy fan. i had heard ozzy before i'd heard black sabbath, since i was working backwards most of the time.

i was all kinds of ga-ga for guitar back then.

jf

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lord! Is it really nearly 30 years since Randy died :(? Who knows what sort of player he'd've matured into?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, Ozzy's great but my Sabbath is with Dio. Greatest singer ever and a class act. Even Tony Martin had a couple good albums in Sabbath. Ozzy's just awful, I don't get it. Sure I listen to Ozzy's solo stuff, but it's because I'm a guitar player and listen to Randy, Jake, Brad and Zakk.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree entirely on the 'best' Sabbath lineup - it's one reason why "Heaven & Hell" is ever so nearly my favourite album of theirs. Technical Ecstasy just edges it out as I love so deeply the guitar work on "Dirty Women".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I got to tell you folks I saw Metallica open for Ozzy and after Ozzy's sound guys stopped messing with Metallica's sound and Ozzy took the stage I have to say it was one of the worst concerts I can remember. Not to mention the most violent audience I have ever encountered. Believe it or not the only audience that ever can close was at a grateful dead concert I got dragged to by an ex girl friend back in my youth.

I also saw Dio as a solo act and that concert was great as was Dio with Rainbow. Sadly I never saw him with Sabbath but I agree that was the best line up for Sabbath with Dio in front

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
you guys are crazy; those first 4 sabbath albums were sabbath, so far as i'm concerned anyway. but i liked dio's solo stuff more consistently than ozzy's.

uh, dio. sweeeeet.

jf

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D

That's a bit of a moot point given that I have everything they released from Black Sabbath up to Eternal Idol (yes, even the utterly dreadful Born Again (tho' I have sold that so maybe I get some credability back :D)).

I do agree that their first six albums are the ones that most concretely give the Sabbath 'sound' and I wouldn't want to part with any of them. But if I had to keep only one Sabbath album it would be Technical Ecstasy (tho' it would pain me not to be able to hear the likes of "Warning" ever again).

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have 'em all. I'm a sick collector, if I'm into something I have to have it all. Don't get me started on my Deep Purple collection, couple years ago they released recordings of every single show on their summer tour. Yeah, I'm a completest, so what.

You guys have the version of Eternal Idol with Ray Gillen singing? Awesome! Not that the Tony Martin version that was released wasn't also good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There was an interview with Tony Immix, I believe, and they were discussing why they came to the US to play when they did during the end of the peace love and tie dye era of in the USA. Basically he said they just wanted to scare the hell out of them :D

Don't get me wrong the first Sabbath Albums with Ozzy in front were great, I just liked Dio better.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
huh, didn't realize there was such a strong base of dio/sabbath fans. i will have to give that material a second listen.

to each their own!

jf

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Ronnie Jame sDio was a great front man andhis voice was awesoe to listen too.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What does everyone think of "Death Magnetic"? I got it yesterday, and it is easily their best album since "...And Justice For All"

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like it ok, it's IMO their best since the black album. The songs are not memorable at all though. I listen to the whole thing thru and nothing sticks except for a few riffs here and there. It's no RTL or AJFA that's for sure.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since we are posting videos now!

Nevermore - Nacrosythesis
watch

Nervermore - Inside Four walls
watch

Latest Discussions