Heavy hands

Motokahn

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone Iā€™m a new guy here, respect, can heavy hands be learned and if so can you point me in that direction, thanks

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi. Learning proper form, with a strong focus on on relaxation and proper weight transfer, can get you pretty heavy hands.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heavy hands as in the ability to punch hard? That's certainly trainable. It's an important part of what any striking art should be teaching.

To expand on O'Malley's answer, relevant factors include

• Recruiting major muscle groups to generate power synergistically (i.e. hitting with power from the legs, hips, waist, and back, not just the arms)
  • Having good structure at the moment of impact so power doesn't leak out and your entire body mass contributes to the impact
  • Relaxation, so that you only activate the muscles which contribute to the force you are generating and you don't end up with opposing muscle groups fighting against each other and slowing you down.
  • Transfer of body weight into your target (this includes footwork considerations and sometimes the use of gravity)
  • Proper timing in how your muscle groups activate relative to each other and the moment of impact.
  • Proper distancing so you aren't over-extended or jammed up at the moment of impact
Of course, pure muscular strength and size play a role, but those can be trained as well.

Here's a little video I threw together covering different methods for power generation in punching. It doesn't cover every single methodology, but I got most of them in there.

OP
M

Motokahn

White Belt
Reaction score
Heavy hands as in the ability to punch hard? That's certainly trainable. It's an important part of what any striking art should be teaching.

To expand on O'Malley's answer, relevant factors include

• Recruiting major muscle groups to generate power synergistically (i.e. hitting with power from the legs, hips, waist, and back, not just the arms)
  • Having good structure at the moment of impact so power doesn't leak out and your entire body mass contributes to the impact
  • Relaxation, so that you only activate the muscles which contribute to the force you are generating and you don't end up with opposing muscle groups fighting against each other and slowing you down.
  • Transfer of body weight into your target (this includes footwork considerations and sometimes the use of gravity)
  • Proper timing in how your muscle groups activate relative to each other and the moment of impact.
  • Proper distancing so you aren't over-extended or jammed up at the moment of impact
Of course, pure muscular strength and size play a role, but those can be trained as well.

Here's a little video I threw together covering different methods for power generation in punching. It doesn't cover every single methodology, but I got most of them in there.
Wow, martial science,
I appreciate this video, i will work on this, one question, when i am working on this , should i work on individual aspects at first, ie, step, twist, ect or try to incorporate all from the beginning,
Thank you

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just watching Tyson hit with his body behind his punches, literally makes my body hurt.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Find a local boxing gym and get stuck in. You'll learn to use the hands efficiently from those who specialize in punching on a daily basis. You can also develop your power further by becoming fitter and stronger in general. Here are a couple more videos which add to the great advice Tony has kindly shared above.

Latest Discussions