Heaven can wait, thought experiment.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it follows the movies, you would eventually forget who you are and essentially become the person you're replacing. That's a significant ask.

I think I would be the mma guy but mostly because I like living in the USA.

And as a fun fact, Heaven Can Wait was a remake . anyone ever see the movie Here Comes Mr. Jordan? Thats where I first heard the phrase, "I was in the pink!"
The original Heaven Can Wait was made in 1943. Great movie. Great story line.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The original Heaven Can Wait was made in 1943. Great movie. Great story line.
um. Not the same movies at all. Same name but that's pretty much it. .The Warren Beatty movie was not based on the 1943 movie you're referring to .

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think there was another movie based on Heaven Can Wait, but I don't think Here Comes Mr. Jordan was based on another film. That one came out in the early 40s, so if it was a remake of anything, it would likely have been a silent film or a stage play. I might be wrong.

1938 stage play originally titled Heaven Can Wait.

1941 film: Here comes Mr Jordan

1978 film: Heaven can wait

2011 film: Down to earth.

And all these movies were loosely used to inspire the 80's Xanadu. Except for the later Chris Rock 2011 one

the 1943 film titled Heaven can wait is not the same story in anyway shape or form.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Which by my count is a double remake...not counting Xanadu... which changed it up too much.
are you talking about the movie heaven can wait or the movie down to earth? To clarify, I would say Down To Earth is a double remake .

When a play is made into a movie, most people would consider that an adaptation and not a remake.

And not sure what xanadu has to do with this . I'm intrigued. Can you explain the relationship? This is a new one for me .

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. Turns out xanadu is not inspired by these movies at all, but rather is a remake of the sequel to Here Comes Mr. Jordan, which I havent seen (and didnt know existed). Now I have to track that movie down. :)

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay. Turns out xanadu is not inspired by these movies at all, but rather is a remake of the sequel to Here Comes Mr. Jordan, which I havent seen (and didnt know existed). Now I have to track that movie down. :)

That's right. Look it's been two decades since I was at film school....and I gotta lotta new stuff competing for space in the braincase.
my appologies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1938 stage play originally titled Heaven Can Wait.

1941 film: Here comes Mr Jordan

1978 film: Heaven can wait

2011 film: Down to earth.

And all these movies were loosely used to inspire the 80's Xanadu. Except for the later Chris Rock 2011 one

the 1943 film titled Heaven can wait is not the same story in anyway shape or form.
I need to watch one of the movies on your list. The 1943 is the only one I am familiar. I do remember an Olivia Newton-John Xanadu I think in the 80's. Is that the same storyline? Thought that was just a crème puff movie.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's right. Look it's been two decades since I was at film school....and I gotta lotta new stuff competing for space in the braincase.
my appologies.
No worries. Not trying to bust anyone's chops. Sharing information. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I need to watch one of the movies on your list. The 1943 is the only one I am familiar. I do remember an Olivia Newton-John Xanadu I think in the 80's. Is that the same storyline? Thought that was just a crème puff movie.
Xanadu is that one and its AMAZING...ly bad in a great way. (I call them good bad). People forget that this was one of gene Kelly's last roles.

The psychedelic skate club scene is epic .

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh wasn't Heaven can wait a song ??? or am I showing my age a bit lol

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh wasn't Heaven can wait a song ??? or am I showing my age a bit lol

It was a song.

Actually, a few songs by different artists (Iron Maiden and Meatloaf are the only two I actually recall enough to identify though).

Also an album or two.

Latest Discussions