Hearing Aids and Martial Arts

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I finally gave in and went to have my hearing tested--I've known I had some hearing loss for a long time (due to chronic childhood ear infections), but it has worsened over the last few years. Turns out I have "medically significant" hearing loss in both ears and need hearing aids.

While I'm happy to know that a) I'm not crazy; I really can't hear and b) I will probably be able to watch TV without [CC]; I'm worried about the fact that I sweat like a freakin' horse.

Do any of you wear hearing aids? Do you sweat like crazy when you train? Seriously, after a workout, I look like I showered in my gi. I'd love to hear any advice or comments you have.

I have to admit I AM kinda looking forward to being a Bluetooth-enabled cyborg. :borg: :EG:

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Take them out to train or they will stop working due to the moisture. No question. If you need to hear, position yourself closer to the instructor. Explain to them in advance why you are running around the room and they will understand.

I've been dealing with both the hearing aids and the sweat for years.

Gnarlie

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Supposedly, they have waterproof ones now--the Siemens Aquaris. I'm not convinced...

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Water and sweat are different things. Sweat is not only damaging due to its moisture content. Urea and salt can cause clear plastics to perish or go yellow.

Also sweat in the earhole causes earwax to dissolve slightly and the small holes become blocked, requiring disassembly and washing.

I would absolutely avoid training with them in.

Gnarlie

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm deaf and have been wearing hearing aids for as long as I can remember.

I'm involved for many years with Kenpo and Jujitsu. I wear my hearing aids while training (if I don't wear them, I can't lipread worth a bean, so I require my hearing aids to understand others who don't sign). However, if I do freestyle grappling, I will remove my hearing aids until the freestyle session ends.

I've never had problems with my hearing aids from doing martial arts even though I sweat and do a lot of head action. I can't say the same regarding eye glasses... I've broken my glasses several times until I finally opted for PRK eye surgery a few years ago (glad I made that decision).

Just make sure you get a good fit with your hearing aids and that they stay in even when you're upside down. You'll be good to go.

Hearing aids aren't really water proof. You do need to air them out and some companies provide a "heated dryer" for hearing aids. I have one that came with my model but I don't really use it except for after I'm caught in a bad rainstorm.

Make sure you maintain your hearing aids well and keep your ears clean. The average life span of my aids are around 10+ years.

Ceicei

Last edited:

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Take them out to train or they will stop working due to the moisture. No question. If you need to hear, position yourself closer to the instructor. Explain to them in advance why you are running around the room and they will understand.

I've been dealing with both the hearing aids and the sweat for years.

Gnarlie

This. I have hearing problems and my hearing aids will start to "motorboat" badly if I sweat on them. Keep them dry. Don't be embarrassed to cup a hand behind an ear if you need to hear the instructor better. I do it all the time and usually when they see me doing it, they will raise their voices a little, which helps.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discuss your concerns with your audiologist. They know the equipment, and they can help you either select equipment that will work, or develop other strategies for dealing with your needs.