Healing arts and Hapkido

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
No I don't think you're going off the deep end here but consider the following:

I've been taught that a lot of Qi Gong (and martial arts movement considered as Qi Gong) have similar characteristics to one degree or another:

(1) They stimulate the flow of Qi along different routes. They can be general in nature or more specific depending on the intention of the practitioner and the nature of the movements themselves. For example, sometimes the practitioner intends the flow of Qi along a specific meridian or meridian circuit; this can also include the extraordinary meridians, etc. (This is, I think, what we are talking about here in this thread). Within this context, all movement of Qi within the body is "Yang" with respect to how Chinese medicine regards the body as a microcosm. There is a saying however in Chinese medicine that "Qi is the commander of Blood." What this means in terms of this conversation is that where movement of Qi along a meridian occurs the corresponding tissue will probably get healthier. But with respect to our conversation above, this only holds true for as long as the material aspect of the body (i.e., the "blood) can maintain its structure.

(2) They gently move the ligamentous connections between the internal organs and the abdominal wall and diaphragm. This is beyond the scope of our present conversation. Suffice it to say that it is not merely the movement of Qi along the meridians that takes place in Qi Gong practice, but between the meridians and their associated organs.

(3) They gently move vertebral segments associated with the various Shu points of the body (as well as the corresponding nervous system connections with the internal organs). Again, this corresponds to the connection between the meridians and their associated internal organs.

Best,

Steve Lamade

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

I don't think Hapkido traditionally has any healing techs as part of the curriculum.

With that being said, many Masters learn Healing for thier proffessions in Asia, my Master is a certified in Accup. from Korea.

I learned some healing from my Master but only because I asked to, not as part of Hapkido.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Stuart:

I think this is where a LOT of clarification and research are necessary.

I have not yet identified a style of ju-jutsu that DIDN'T have some kind of resusitation, bone-setting or health-giving regime associated with it. Certainly Daito-ryu has ITS techniques as do Kito-ryu and Kyokushin Karate.

I would bet that it would not be a stretch to incorporate the need to know, say, CPR, or First Aid into Hapkido practice as a modern counterpart to what people of lives-past may have known. In fact, given the nature of some of the old bone-setting techniques, I would bet people would prefer to have a licensed Doctor setting a fracture than someone who had a few hours of lecture at their Hapkido teachers knee. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings

More acurately I have not seen any evidence that Choi Young Sool passing on any healing arts.

Maybe Choi passed on some ressusitation techs if ones kicked below the belt or got the winded knocked out of them, but nothing that requires high level schooling.

Before modern schools I'm sure most healing arts were passed on Master to student and that was it, but in modern times people study healing arts in separate and specific Healing Art schools with some sort of official/legal accredidation.

Times have changed

OP
M

Mike-IHF

Hello Everyone,

In our IHF, all of the chief instructors 4th Dan, or above must take acertain amount of schooling in Accupuncture, Chiropractic medicine, Sports therapy/massage, and be able to resesitate some one who has been knocked unconcious etc. GM Chang Yong-Sil, makes this a requirement as part of their testing for instructor. This might be one of the reasons he has only promoted 8 ppl to 5th Dan or above, because it requires alot of training. We learn these atoumatically as part of our training, but only after 1st Dan. The way GM Chang see's it is " if your going to teach others, you need to know how to fix them if they get broken". When he says it, it's much funnier.

As far as Choi is concerned. I'm sure that he had some knowledge of resesitation material as part of what he learned in Japan. It is actually almoust a given when your working extensively with pressure points to shut down the function of organs, or Knock outs etc. So in my opinion I would definetely say he had some knowledge of this, if not alot.

OP
M

Mike-IHF

BTW, can anyone tell me why my signature is not working. I've gone to user cp, and have added it, and saved it. But when I post it will not show. Any help would be great. Thank You

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings, Mike and welcome to MartialTalk. On behalf of the Moderator team, I hope you enjoy your stay.

OP
M

Mike-IHF

Shesulsa,

Thank you for your greeting.

Bruce, for some reason I just noticed you are with Yun Mu Kwan. Is this Kwang Sik-Myung's WHF? if so I was just wondering if you know Ramfis Marquez? He is a 5th Dan under the WHF. He is a friend, and my business partner that is opening a school with me. Thanks.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, thats right. GM Myungs' World Hapkido Federation is still going strong, but, no, I don't know the gentleman you mentioned.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
M

Mike-IHF

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. Mr. Marquez is originally from Puerto Rico. He studied with Master Sellas, around the time when Pelligrini was still with the WHF. But any way, Thanks.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is still a Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido dochang in PR. Certainly its a member of the WHF organization. It would be nice to make contact and see if they are still active in promoting the Kwan Ideal. Thanks for the tip. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
G

gatser_83

Hello everybody,

Just thought i would throw my two cents in about the subject under disscussion. I took tia chi for two years, which isn't very long in tia chi time. Any way i noticed that when i was practicing this art i didn't have strains or aches. My balance was amazing and my mind was quiet. I noticed that it helped my body feel more healthy. So in that respect it's a healing art, but really i just find it helped with day to day living. Which is the best thing any art can give you. I think it's a great art and promote practicing it with other martial arts to help with balance and health.

Thanx for reading, and hope everybody continues to do well in there martial art of choice.

Adam

Latest Discussions