Headbands in Martial Arts training

TKDFromDMV_Student

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I heard that headbands are useful in keeping sweat out of our eyes and face. I was thinking of getting a headband for my training because of that reason, and because I remember doing some training that required something like that.

For you guys:
1. Would it look silly to wear during training? I know this is subjective, but as a general rule, would it?
2. Where are some decent quality headbands?
3. Which type would you recommend? Tie-on headbands, similar to a bandana or the one on the Karate Kid films, or a regular sports headband?
4. Do either of you guys wear a type of headband when training? If so, how come?

Discuss this among yourselves if you want.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I heard that headbands are useful in keeping sweat out of our eyes and face. I was thinking of getting a headband for my training because of that reason, and because I remember doing some training that required something like that.

For you guys:
1. Would it look silly to wear during training? I know this is subjective, but as a general rule, would it?
3. Which type would you recommend? Tie-on headbands, similar to a bandana or the one on the Karate Kid films, or a regular sports headband?
4. Do either of you guys wear a type of headband when training? If so, how come?

go for it
hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In all seriousness. I learn to deal with the sweat in my eyes.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In all seriousness. I learn to deal with the sweat in my eyes.

Same here. I fully admit to being a sweater. I sweat buckets. I do light workouts with my coworkers and it looks like they barely broke a sweat while my shirt is completely soaked through. That's why I keep to the heavy weight gis... they soak up so much sweat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. I fully admit to being a sweater. I sweat buckets. I do light workouts with my coworkers and it looks like they barely broke a sweat while my shirt is completely soaked through. That's why I keep to the heavy weight gis... they soak up so much sweat.

Useful for grappling though, like trying to hold a bar of soap in the bath. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For you guys:

You might be the only one wearing it, and most folks probably wouldn't just because that would make them feel uncomfortable. I'd have no problem with a student wanting to wear one. The regular athletic type is probably preferable. Definitely check with your instructor to see if the school's uniform code allows for it (I've seen some strict ones), and what color (probably the color of your uniform).

OP
T

TKDFromDMV_Student

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

With that said, I'll learn how to manage it, I would have used the sweatband for some blindfolded training anyway.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want to wear one, I'd get the athletic kind that some sports players wear. If you're an adult and wear one of those martial arts ones with kanji or a drawing of a guy kicking on it you will definitely look silly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd totally rock the headband, but they don't stay on when grappling. I did a class once in a luchador mask. It might have looked a little funny.

OP
T

TKDFromDMV_Student

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you want to wear one, I'd get the athletic kind that some sports players wear. If you're an adult and wear one of those martial arts ones with kanji or a drawing of a guy kicking on it you will definitely look silly.

I thought so, a Ralph Macchio type of headband would be uncomfortablly outrageous on me.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Useful for grappling though, like trying to hold a bar of soap in the bath. :D

Yeah, it makes for some slippery situations in no-gi. I don't think people realize they're getting into a Turkish wrestling match when they roll with me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it makes for some slippery situations in no-gi. I don't think people realize they're getting into a Turkish wrestling match when they roll with me.

We had a chap who literally left pools of sweat on the mats, nice!

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
'm a ball of sweat but can't bring myself to wear headbands in class. I do use halo headbands and bandanas underneath my headgear in sparring tournaments and under my helmet on a bike, they are brilliant for stopping sweat in the eyes and directing of to drip on the knot in the back, having a little rubber strip inside the headband.
I use the halo bandana most of the time, as it stops the sweat everywhere from flying about. only on really hot days on the bike where every inch of airflow through the helmet is needed do I go for the headband. they come in plenty of colours

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score

For you guys:

Hi TKDFromDMV. I wear one when it is hot as I sweat easily, so yes they keep sweat out of your eyes. I simply buy the elastic/cotton ones at the local sporting goods store for $4 or $5.

Latest Discussions