Having a ponder, things occuring to me...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not bothered either way - maybe some transferred, maybe it didn't.

Maybe it was as I say a common predecessor of both (probably more likely).

However it did or didn't happen, there's enough similarities to adjust one or the other and still have something useful - or at the very least something interesting that people don't expect to happen ;)

Oh and do please make sure their insurance is up to date and idf do decide to do any front falling throws (ok they maybe shouldn't be front falling lol) make sure they have dental cover as even if they have a head guard on it will hurt lol

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a thought one thing you could do right of the bat is shikko (knee walking) as you will have the flexibility to do same and it really will improve your posture and get the hips working as well as adding to core strength (which you will have but it just another way of doing it , and incidentally that is what Hanzou didn't get lol as in the hidden meaning of said bad word he don't like lol)

OP
P

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a thought one thing you could do right of the bat is shikko (knee walking) as you will have the flexibility to do same and it really will improve your posture and get the hips working as well as adding to core strength (which you will have but it just another way of doing it , and incidentally that is what Hanzou didn't get lol as in the hidden meaning of said bad word he don't like lol)

A couple of observations:

If you're trying that in the kitchen, try not to let the wife walk in - she'll probably think you're (more) mental (than usual).

It's probably more comfortable on mats than on tile over concrete.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple of observations:

If you're trying that in the kitchen, try not to let the wife walk in - she'll probably think you're (more) mental (than usual).

It's probably more comfortable on mats than on tile over concrete.

te wife lo what a care what she thinks lol just say you are bowing to her superior power lol ................and ok try the lawn just have a good excuse for the green knees lol

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, don't knock it. The Way of the Flattened Snout is awesome!!
Actually the platypus has venomous spines near it's rear legs. It causes sever long lasting pain in humans that could last month's and doesn't respond to morphine. Years after, you'll still feel it.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, TKD was a renaming of TSD and the various Kwan originally continued the same curriculum they taught prior to the beginning of the unification movement.

It depends on what "TSD" stands for and whether you see Tangsoodo to be completely equal to Karate.

The Taekwondo founders generally studied Karate. The literal translation of Karate is Kongsoodo, but it's also translated sometimes as Tangsoodo. The art that is now Taekwondo has been named Taesoodo in the past and was later finally renamed to Taekwondo. So at some point Taekwondo was Taesoodo, but not Tangsoodo (speaking about Taekwondo as a whole, not just Moodukkwan).

Without knowing as much about Tangsoodo, I gather from its Wikipedia page that it's a combination of Karate and another Korean martial art (subak) in much the same way that Taekwondo is claimed to be a combination of Karate and Taekkyeon. So I don't agree that Taekwondo used to be a renamed version of Tangsoodo.

Source: Modern History of Taekwondo (both the translation done by Glenn Uesugi and his student, and the original book in Korean).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what "TSD" stands for and whether you see Tangsoodo to be completely equal to Karate.

At the time of their founding, there's nothing to indicate that what was being taught was in any significant way different to what the founders were taught in Japan. They'd just come home, after all. Plenty of changes occurered later, obviously, but I think it's safe to say that they were identical, at that time.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the time of their founding, there's nothing to indicate that what was being taught was in any significant way different to what the founders were taught in Japan. They'd just come home, after all. Plenty of changes occurered later, obviously, but I think it's safe to say that they were identical, at that time.

OK, so let's assume Taesoodo/Taekwondo and Tangsoodo were both at that time a rebadged version of Karate, that aside I still haven't seen any record that Taekwondo as a whole was a renamed version of Tangsoodo (i.e. every wholly called Tangsoodo).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so let's assume Taesoodo/Taekwondo and Tangsoodo were both at that time a rebadged version of Karate, that aside I still haven't seen any record that Taekwondo as a whole was a renamed version of Tangsoodo (i.e. every wholly called Tangsoodo).

I'm confused. Have you ever seen anything indicating that any of the original Kwans taught something with another name than TSD?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@TrueJim Thank you.
So from what you've found, all the various original Kwan were called by various pronunciations of the same thing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I get you

Your looking to further advance yourself and dig deeper into what you are capable of achieving in your own path which is tremendous.

Sorry if you think I am being to literal lol

Just my own thoughts here to you, Yes Daito-ryu is appealing as it looks as most of the vids show that I have seen to be more direct and if you want brutal in it's approach, which it is and it isn't lol.... i think I said to you before that from the background you have look to the Aikikai schools as there you will get the feel of the Aiki you are looking for imo ....Daito-ryu , well I don't know of anyone in this country that is teaching that, and really the part of it I feel and sense you are looking for is not the basic jujtsu which well enough said there lol.... the aiki bits you I feel will have to look towards Aikido and the Aikikai to get the real flow that you will be able to possibly incorporate, Yes Yoshinkan is closer to the pre war (actually it really is the pre war stuff imo) but it may conflict more with your TKD where as the Akikai shouldn't as much ...ok there is also the Ki school from Tohei I'm not sure those guys are very very good technicians and very clean in the techs but it may (just in my thoughts for your TKD background) just be to flowing and not quite direct enough.

If you want Daito - ryu then really and what you are wanting I'd suggest either the states or really Japan and the lineage I'd look for to go with yours is more the Takumakai but just my opinion

Actually maybe @gpseymour might be a better bet to advise as his style of NGA might really be the one that would fit more than any
I'd argue there's less "aiki" in NGA than in other options. Some NGA instructors have moved more into the aiki side of things, but from a thinner understanding. I've had discussions with someone who first earned his shodan in NGA then went on to study Daito-ryu. He said he'd only ever seen about half of the aiki "methods" (his term) from Daito-ryu in the NGA he saw and experienced - and that was training directly with the US director of the NGAA (who brought the art to the US and is the only surviving direct student of the founder). So, if the point is to study aiki, I'd argue there are many better places to do that than within NGA.

(It's also arguable whether my own understanding of aiki is better than most in NGA or worse than most - I may be working off a complete redefinition of the term, for all I know.)

Latest Discussions