• Smoked once but have quit

• Am trying to quit, really trying

• Know its a nasty habit, but still smoke

Results are only viewable after voting.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
The trouble is, most of us who have difficulty in stopping are well aware of the detrimental effects smoking has on health, but that doesn't make stopping any easier, it takes a smoker to understand that.
Yeah, I know exactly what it is doing to my body. But despite that, I still want to have one.

I've managed to cut down to maybe three or four cigarettes a day, and I roll my own so they are less potent than the packaged variety.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've read the entire thread again, and although there are some wrenching stories of the result of smoking, I don't see alot of actual methods to help stop smoking.

This is what I did see:
(1) Allan Carr's book "Easy Way" or something like that
(2) Workout alot-eases stress instead of turning to cigarettes-nothing else pound the treadmill for an hour (if you can) then you will be too tired to think about it.
(3) More chemical dependency from cigarettes than other -- doesn't mean that pipe tobacco or rolled is much better.
(4) Patch-what brands work??? What is your experience with them?
(5) Does your work or healthcare insurance have a smoking cessation program?

Can anyone help with this list? TW

E

edhead2000

TigerWoman said:
Okay, I've read the entire thread again, and although there are some wrenching stories of the result of smoking, I don't see alot of actual methods to help stop smoking.

Can anyone help with this list? TW
According to studies/articles/etc. the most effective way to quit smoking is a combination of the prescription medication bupropion (brand name either Zyban or Wellbutrin SR/XL) and the nicotine replacement patch system (step down). The reason these two are so effective is that they have different mechanisms of action -- kinda like a one-two punch. Bupropion can decrease cravings and increase the same chemicals in the brain that smoking increases -- basically you get some of the effect without smoking. The nicotine replacement patch gives you provides the nicotine which the bupropion is kicking in -- may take a few weeks for the bupropion to work. Unfortunately, even with help, the success rate for smoking cessation is VERY LOW!! It's important to keep in mind that just because a person tries to quit doesn't mean that the person is going to end up quitting. I'm not trying to discourage anyone at all -- just keep in mind that statistically you WILL NOT succeed the first time -- don't get frustrated, it's normal.

As far as nicotine replacement products go -- gum, lozenge, patch, nasal spray, inhaler -- they are all the same in regards to effectiveness. The gum, lozenge, and patch are available over-the-counter. The nasal spray and inhaler are only available by prescription. The decision is entirely based on YOUR personal preference. Do you need the oral fixation? then the gum or lozenge might be right for you. Remember, the gum isn't like regular gum -- there is a special method to chewing it (called "chew and park"). Can't chew gum at work or want something you can put on and forget about? Choose the patch.

One note on bupropion -- most insurance companies won't cover the brand name Zyban (used for smoking cessation) but will cover Wellbutrin (used for depression). Check with your insurance carrier first -- if they cover Wellbutrin, get your doctor to write for that instead of Zyban. Also there IS a generic available, much cheaper. They are all the SAME drug.

Good luck everyone!!

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have unsuccessfully tried most of the over the counter methods, and by the way the gum makes you want to puke, then smoke a cigarette.

Right now I am putting my faith in the Allen Carr book, but, like all smokers who are trying to quit, I am struggling to find an approprate time to do it, and of course one could say "there's no time like the present" but in my experience the times I have tried to stop when stressed have been the least successful.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Right now I am putting my faith in the Allen Carr book, but, like all smokers who are trying to quit, I am struggling to find an approprate time to do it, and of course one could say "there's no time like the present" but in my experience the times I have tried to stop when stressed have been the least successful.
Simon,
I also had to wait until there was less stress in my life to quit, but I promise you it will be worth it; so as soon as the chaos goes down a bit, please arm yourself with everything you'll need (bubble gum, the patch, etc. & hopefully, keep your computer logged onto MT ;) ). Only you will know when the time is right. We'll be here for support if you want us! :)

Take care,
Gin-Gin

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Simon,
I also had to wait until there was less stress in my life to quit, but I promise you it will be worth it; so as soon as the chaos goes down a bit, please arm yourself with everything you'll need (bubble gum, the patch, etc. & hopefully, keep your computer logged onto MT ;) ). Only you will know when the time is right. We'll be here for support if you want us! :)

Take care,
Gin-Gin
Thanks Gin-Gin,
looking at taking the plunge valentines day...

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never smoked, anything, ever. Nasty vile habit. I'm fuming over my best friend tryign to convence my fiance to have a cigar with him.. She'll never do it, but man o' man, not while I'm alive.:shrug:

Schtankybampo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Both my parents smoked from the get-go. I've had health problems over the years relating to that. I think I tried it once, just like most people, but I didn't like the way it tasted and never tried it again. Can't breathe when it's around, and I can smell it now from fifty paces out!

I traveled recently- those of us who live in California have no idea how lucky we are. :) No smoking in restaurants, no smoking in bars, no smoking within 50 feet of an operating entrance/exit to a building. There are places in Northern Cali where you cannot, by city ordinance, smoke in your car with the windows rolled down. :)

Mmmm. Smog is so much nicer to breathe.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
i just wanted to say that i quit not that long ago (nov) cold turkey. i have smoked for nearly ten years its not that hard really you just have to say no like ever time you think about it. for me it was like every minute now its like every 10. so its getting a little easier, someday the no will come before i think of one and then i know the habit is squashed.

just wanted to say that. thanks for listening.

D

Deuce

I would recommend Zyban to anyone who wants to quit smoking. I've been smoking for 8 years and tried Zyban and managed to quit for 2 months. I was supposed to stay on the drug for three months even if I wasn't smoking. After having quit for a month, I figured I could quit taking the pills. Big mistake, about a month later I was back to smoking. I'm going to try Zyban again and actually follow the proper procedure. I know it'll be no problem to quit second time around, I just have to quit putting it off!

Zyban has been known to have different effects on people mentally and emotionally. When I took it, at times I felt a little bit "high" on life, but nothing drastic.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kid said:
i just wanted to say that i quit not that long ago (nov) cold turkey. so its getting a little easier, someday the no will come before i think of one and then i know the habit is squashed. just wanted to say that. thanks for listening.
Congratulations, kid!! :partyon: :asian: :partyon: :supcool: :partyon:

I've been there, & I know what an accomplishment it is. You should be very proud of yourself & take satisfaction in knowing that you did something very good for your body (in addition to taking MA :D )--Kudos! :asian:

Deuce - Good Luck to you & keep the faith! :)

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to bring this back to the top so I could say I have quit for the third time and I plan on making it my last quit. I incourage anyone thinking of doing the same to look at http://whyquit.com/ and spend some time reading Joel's Libary there. It's been a month and three days since I did what I thought was impossible, smoked my last cigarette. If you're truely happy smoking then more power to ya but if you ever have thoughts of quiting and think it would be too hard, please check this site out.

Indyfighter

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
INDYFIGHTER said:
I just wanted to bring this back to the top so I could say I have quit for the third time and I plan on making it my last quit. I incourage anyone thinking of doing the same to look at http://whyquit.com/ and spend some time reading Joel's Libary there. It's been a month and three days since I did what I thought was impossible, smoked my last cigarette. If you're truely happy smoking then more power to ya but if you ever have thoughts of quiting and think it would be too hard, please check this site out.

Indyfighter

Thanks for posting that site, found it very good. I have only tried to give up smoking once over the past 15 years that I have been smoking. Only managed to last two days.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everybody around me smokes. No seriously all of my friends smoke. I have joked around about being really close to smoking but I don't think my friends would let me. I have really good friends.
Still with the amount of second hand smoke I take in you may as well say I smoke these days.
I won't smoke because I'm to friggin cheap. Now if only I could convince people around me to stop.
Wait a second I might have a solution. Where did I put that really big stick....

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am a filthy smoker. I only smoke about 1 or 2 packs a week, you would think that it would be easy to just quit all together. You would think anyway.

I may have to try Zyban, it has worked for a couple of friends. The think is, I actaully like smoking, I wish that it wasn't bad for you. Or maybe I am just fooling myself into thinking I like it, that way I don't seem as weak willed. Who knows?

M

MartialMom

I applaude all of you who are attempting to quit now, it was by far one of the most difficult things I have ever done.

I started smoking when I was 11, thought my dad was a hypocrit for telling me not to smoke while smoking 2 packs a day. We know everything as kids don't we?

One day I just decided I had smoked long enough, 17 years, and put them down. The next two weeks were extreme hell for myself and my family, but we survived.

Now I cannot stand being around someone smoking, I am desperately trying to get my husband to stop but know with all my heart that he will only quit when he is ready or it will not work.

Happines
Sheri

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started smoking (irregularly) just after I turned 16. After seeing what cigarrettes were doing to my friends I quit for a while but in times of stress I am still sorely tempted.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to smoke, started when i was really young wanting to be cool and bending to peer pressure. Never built up much of a habbit like by 15 a lot of my friends were 20 a day whilst i was 2 or 3 a day. I think i was 18 when i quit because it just seemed like the most pointless thing to do. I stopped drinking shortly after as that was also something that i personally didn't enjoy, another result of peer pressure. When i found like minded thinking within hardcore music i felt a lot more comfortable with pursuing my personal outlook on things in deffiance of the pressures of peers and it was around that time i was toatally sober and clean and claiming straightedge. That was a fair time ago now as i'm 27 now, still clean and really despise smoking now which can often be the way with people who once smoked. I'm all for bans in public places but more than anything i think the ammount of underage smokers needs to seriously be addressed, the numbers seem to be growing fast and just the fact that children have access to this stuff is appalling. I don't know if its a big thing for younger people there but here in the uk its very much the norm for children of 13 (probably younger but i'm being generous) to be smoking and i think that is wrong.

Latest Discussions