• Smoked once but have quit

• Am trying to quit, really trying

• Know its a nasty habit, but still smoke

Results are only viewable after voting.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
smoking is also not an option for me...i find enough other ways to be unhealthy..as posted in a diet thread...

little debbie is a crafty trickstress

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never smoked. No better reason that that it never appealed to me. (Much like Twinkies and doughnuts. Yarch.)

B

bassplayer

cigarettes are nasty, addictive, and make your breath smell like an ashtray.
hookas, however...are a different story altogether :roflmao:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bassplayer said:
cigarettes are nasty, addictive, and make your breath smell like an ashtray.
hookas, however...are a different story altogether :roflmao:

THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYIN... hehehe

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just the smell of cigarette smoke will trigger a migraine headache... I avoid that stuff at all costs.

-Josh-

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I also smoke hookah once in a while with my friends. Ya still gotta be careful though. It's not nearly as bad as a pack of cigarettes, but I know people who have become addicted to nicotine from smoking hookah too often.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
I also smoke hookah once in a while with my friends. Ya still gotta be careful though. It's not nearly as bad as a pack of cigarettes, but I know people who have become addicted to nicotine from smoking hookah too often.
Okay, excuse my ignorance... What is Hookah?? :idunno: Please tell me :)

B

bassplayer

functionally, hookahs are no different than bongs, although asthetically they are almost always much more of a work of art and not meant to be handled while (t)smoking. not that I havent seen bongs that are total works of art ;)

R

Ronald R. Harbers

A guy asked me the other day if I would like a cigarette. I said "No thank you, I've already had a half a pack second hand!":wah:

J

jaymo

yep. i smoked. i grew up in a lovely supportive (not) family that BOUGHT my cigarettes for me so i wouldn't steal them. so, aside from being raised in a smoking home, i picked up tha habit at 14.

at 20, i tried to quit. worked for a year, then i was introduced to clove cigarettes-(buh bye lungs!). from 21-27 it was an on and off battle: smoked heavy, smoked light, didn't smoke, smoked when really angry, smoked after whoopee, you get the idea.

then, after a few months in martial arts i quit--for good! it was just too embarassing to do 50 jumping jacks and get winded. i still miss it sometimes when i smell a clove cigarette, though.

the interesting thing is i have become highly allergic to smoke since quitting three years ago. if i'm around cigarette smoke i get really ill and end up being sick for a few days. has anyone else experienced this?

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to quit and it seems to get a little easier every time. Couple of suggestions for anyone currently trying to break free. There's a website called whyquit.com that has days of reading about your addiction and is really helpful in your quit. Also a site called sharemeter.com keeps track of your quit for free, weeks, days, hours, and seconds. Even tells you how many cigarettes you haven't smoked and how much money you've saved and estimates the amount of time you've added to your life. My father has been cancer free for seven years but I've smoked for ten. He had throat cancer when I was in my twenties and went through hell getting rid of it. I can't believe how insensitive I have been to continue to smoke when I've seen the results. I find that the first few days are the worst. The first 72 hours suck! Work out! That's how I get through it. A mile run everymorning to help clear the lungs. Chew gum and drink lots of water. If you normally drink alot of caffine then make sure you continue to drink some. When you quit smoking your body only requires half the caffine it needed when you smoked. If you don't have that caffine though you'll get a head acke from that and that makes it hard not to smoke.

Anyways, best of luck to anyone trying to break the cycle. Remember to just take it one day at a time.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a filthy smoker. Soon smoking indoors anywhere on the planet will be punishable by a $5,000,000,000 fine and lethal injection.

I know it's no good for you, one of my relatives died from throat cancer. But I still do it. I've lost count of the number of times ig quit. I dont care any more. Everyone has their poison, everyone has their vices. Smoking is mine.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adept said:
Yeah, I'm a filthy smoker. Soon smoking indoors anywhere on the planet will be punishable by a $5,000,000,000 fine and lethal injection.

I know it's no good for you, one of my relatives died from throat cancer. But I still do it. I've lost count of the number of times ig quit. I dont care any more. Everyone has their poison, everyone has their vices. Smoking is mine.

Don't give up, you can quit, just read all the posts of people who try and continue to try and do succeed. Your life is at stake. It is worth it. TW

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
INDYFIGHTER said:
" It's not enough to know, one must apply." -Bruce
*hangs head in shame*

That is a very good point.

@ TigerWoman: The thing is, I dont really want to quit anymore. Maybe in the future I will, but for now I am happy to keep puffing away. We all die someday. Dieing old doesnt concern me so much as dieing happy does.

*goes off to inhale 12 more milligrams of tar...*

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I totally understand. I love to smoke, really I do. I just can't control how much I smoke. I got tired of the hacking in the morning and being able to hear yourself breathe is a real sexy quality to have, don't you think? I'm currently in training so I'm pretty gun-ho about quiting but if someone was to ask me if I wanted to bet a large sum of money that I was done for good... I'd probably pass.:) Have to admit though that I do feel a whole lot better when I'm not smoking. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
INDYFIGHTER said:
I totally understand. I love to smoke, really I do. I just can't control how much I smoke.
I'm not a heavy smoker, a pack will usually last me for a week. Unless I'm at the pub, of course...

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Will do mate. Best of luck with it.

Latest Discussions