Have you ever been visited by Kukkiwon?

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Had such great info from the last thread I started thought I would start a new one!
Question is: If you are a Kukkiwon school, have you ever been visited by a Kukkiwon official to see if you are teaching what they are certifying?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They do not govern what is being tought, so I doubt if that would ever happen.....

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had such great info from the last thread I started thought I would start a new one!
Question is: If you are a Kukkiwon school, have you ever been visited by a Kukkiwon official to see if you are teaching what they are certifying?

The Kukkiwon certifies instructors, not schools. However, that being said, I've not been visited by Kukkiwon officials to see what I (as an instructor certified by the Kukkiwon) am teaching my students. Frankly the Kukkiwon does not have the personnel to visit each and every school. That is why it has made such great efforts to have foreign instructor courses, updated educational materials, etc.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are a Kukkiwon school, have you ever been visited by a Kukkiwon official to see if you are teaching what they are certifying?

The Kukkiwon doesn't send officials to audit the instructors it has certified.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That has been stated so many times on this site since I have been here that I am always surprised when it is asked.

Daniel

Next someone will mis-interpret the "MINIMAL" requirements of KKW as the 1 and ONLY requirements needed for a BB... oh wait... already did MANY TIMES!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there an actual 'checklist' of things required to get a black belt or is that up to the discretion of the instructor?

RonMarlow

White Belt
Reaction score

Yes, today. Kukkiwon President Won Sik Kang and Chief of the International Department Hyung Sun Lee visited our city (Las Vegas) and met with the instructors in the area that have been promoting students through the Kukkiwon to announce the Kukkiwon Overseas Membership System (KOMS). Among the goals of the program is to classify and enroll dojangs, standardize curriculum, facilitate communication between overseas (from the Korean perspective) dojangs and Kukkiwon and among KOMS dojangs worldwide and to assist KOMS dojangs in promotion of TKD events, seminars and internal growth. This program is to address the "individualization" of instruction outside of Korea that is degrading TKD and inhibiting growth. So, yes they are checking up on instructors and they are not happy.

Most of the previous comments in this thread are out of date and wrong. If you are in Southern California, President Kang will be paying you a visit Saturday afternoon. The program was conceived last year. It is being developed now, they have experts working on curriculum materials now and they are previewing it is the USA now, Germany and France are next. They will be conducting seminars this year. Implementation of the memberships application process starts now. In 2012 the system should be operational. If you go to the Kukkiwon website, at the bottom of the page you will find a non-functional button labeled "KOMS". It should be functional soon with the information presented today.

This is not an add for the KOMS program. I don't know what I think about it, when my wife decides she will tell me what my opinion is. One of the touted benefits among many fans of Kukkiwon Dan certification was the absence of onerous instructional oversight and the flexibility this allowed individual instructors. The boys and girls at Kukkiwon see this as a flaw in their system that has resulted in the degradation of the martial art, a heresy, and they are moving to fix it.

So, good question troubleenuf, the guys at Kukkiwon are watching us and they are not amused.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, today. Kukkiwon President Won Sik Kang and Chief of the International Department Hyung Sun Lee visited our city (Las Vegas) and met with the instructors in the area that have been promoting students through the Kukkiwon to announce the Kukkiwon Overseas Membership System (KOMS). Among the goals of the program is to classify and enroll dojangs, standardize curriculum, facilitate communication between overseas (from the Korean perspective) dojangs and Kukkiwon and among KOMS dojangs worldwide and to assist KOMS dojangs in promotion of TKD events, seminars and internal growth. This program is to address the "individualization" of instruction outside of Korea that is degrading TKD and inhibiting growth. So, yes they are checking up on instructors and they are not happy.

Most of the previous comments in this thread are out of date and wrong. If you are in Southern California, President Kang will be paying you a visit Saturday afternoon. The program was conceived last year. It is being developed now, they have experts working on curriculum materials now and they are previewing it is the USA now, Germany and France are next. They will be conducting seminars this year. Implementation of the memberships application process starts now. In 2012 the system should be operational. If you go to the Kukkiwon website, at the bottom of the page you will find a non-functional button labeled "KOMS". It should be functional soon with the information presented today.

This is not an add for the KOMS program. I don't know what I think about it, when my wife decides she will tell me what my opinion is. One of the touted benefits among many fans of Kukkiwon Dan certification was the absence of onerous instructional oversight and the flexibility this allowed individual instructors. The boys and girls at Kukkiwon see this as a flaw in their system that has resulted in the degradation of the martial art, a heresy, and they are moving to fix it.

So, good question troubleenuf, the guys at Kukkiwon are watching us and they are not amused.

Please give me the names ofd the school inLas Vegas and which instructor was visited because I know alot of them and none of them had a visit from the KKW? I know because I just got off the phone with one and said he has heard nothing about this. There is absolutelt noway they can control over 100,000 KKW schools and affiliates school over here in America, Sorry but I just cannot see how they can or would manage such a feet...:erg:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

That isn't the explanation of the KOMS program that I was given.

The thing to understand about President Kang is that he comes from and leads the smallest Kwan by far of the original five. There are literally thousands of dojang in the Seoul area alone; Song Moo Kwan has 16.

Perhaps the Song Moo Kwan has higher quality than the other Kwans. I don't know. But what I can tell you is that if he tries to enforce any sort of radical and overly strict standardization outside of Korea, then instructors will rebel and stop processing through the Kukkiwon. I think this program will be the downfall of President Kang if he insists on going through with this. He certainly does not have support for this at the Board of Directors level, because no one except maybe President Kang feels that cutting off international instructors is a good way to globalize Taekwondo and make it grow.

I can and have passed every test that the Kukkiwon has given me so I don't really feel threatened by this new policy by President Kang. But from a global perspective, it really is short sighted to cut your nose off to spite your face.

I sincerely hope that he does push on and try to force this through internationally. The harder he pushes on this, the greater the objections with be, and the faster he will be out. the Kukkiwon bylaws state that the Chairman of the Board, with a majority of board members, can remove the sitting Kukkiwon president at any time.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please give me the names ofd the school inLas Vegas and which instructor was visited because I know alot of them and none of them had a visit from the KKW? I know because I just got off the phone with one and said he has heard nothing about this. There is absolutelt noway they can control over 100,000 KKW schools and affiliates school over here in America, Sorry but I just cannot see how they can or would manage such a feet...:erg:

First of all it is spelled feat.
I will personally be having dinner with the kkw president on Sunday. There will be about ten of us at the dinner, all 2nd and 1st class instructors. There was some insinuation that we will be forming a group/committee to go around conducting tests and evaluations. They will also no longer be allowing instructors to promote students to poom/dan unless they have passed the kkw fic. Don't think that will start til next year though. Get ready, get informed or get out:)
I personally would love to be part of quality control. Seen too many bad schools/teachers who only care about money and forget technique. The amount of travel suggested seems like a lot though...we shall see what transpires...

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will personally be having dinner with the kkw president on Sunday. There will be about ten of us at the dinner, all 2nd and 1st class instructors. There was some insinuation that we will be forming a group/committee to go around conducting tests and evaluations. They will also no longer be allowing instructors to promote students to poom/dan unless they have passed the kkw fic. Don't think that will start til next year though. Get ready, get informed or get out:)
I personally would love to be part of quality control. Seen too many bad schools/teachers who only care about money and forget technique. The amount of travel suggested seems like a lot though...we shall see what transpires...

Thanks for my mishap on the spelling, secondly it would be great to make sure all KKW TKD schools are doing the right thing. The only problem would be is this it is so out of wrack with no control how do you suppose they would be able to send any quality amout of time making sure this gets done? USAT had a terrible time with that special promotion test they did what last year and the facts are they KKW only requires the basic for Dan requirement and with so many school adding to what they teach to make a solid curriculum.

I personally try to stay on top of everything, what will they do really take away all these KKW certification from people who is not up to par, sorry just do not see that happening and I also do not see them demanding that people get up and do as they say or else. Maybe in Lorea this will work but to many people here would just get up and tell them to shove it and go about there business and the KKW would lose to much.

Like you said we shall see what happens but I cannot see how a small group will control so many schools and instructors. I did a quick reference search here in my little area and we have over 500 fourth dan or higher here in the metroplex, now multiply that by 100 and you could have upwards of over 50,000 instructor to look after. I just cannot see them making that many get into line after all these years.:asian:

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally would love to be part of quality control. Seen too many bad schools/teachers who only care about money and forget technique.

Besides making sure people perform KKW forms correctly what could they possibly require? (And really, if you're studying a particular style of martial arts is it too much to ask that you at least perform the forms correctly before being promoted to dan level?) By standardizing forms there will be a trickle down effect of standardizing individual techniques.

The WTF standardized sparring rules and people all got on board with it because they wanted to cater to 1% of the students who think they have a shot at the Olympics.

The amount of travel suggested seems like a lot though...we shall see what transpires...

Perhaps regional commitees should be set up in larger countries. A single entity would suffice for a country the size of Korea or almost any of the European countries (most are like the size of Ohio). The U.S. is substantially bigger than that.

Pax,

Chris

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Makes sense to me. As a consumer, certification would be more valuable and appealing to me if it meant enforcement of a tightly defined curriculum along with high standards.

Latest Discussions