Have a question

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I apologize, can't multi task. Someone was talking and I wrote what they said instead of what I meant to say:

If You Don’t Shoot Your Attacker In Kansas Then Waive Bye-Bye To Claiming Self-Defense

(From 2010 so may be out dated. But at least im doing research, trying to educate myself.)

this is a good example of a point i wanted to make,
as you pointed out, the written statutes laws are vague at best this means that often the judge relies on case law and what precedents have been set before. this can mean a very random outcome, thus as i already suggested the best way to get reliable info for your area is to consult a good lawyer.
to save me some time in writing this clip has some good info on the "stand your ground" law ,,,which Kansas has adopted.

at about 8:00 min in Massad explains the 3 requirements for deadly force. these are the same 3 requirements i use to determine any use of force.

1...Ability...does this person have the physical capabilty to harm me
2..Opportunity.. is he close enough to harm me
3.. Intent.. does his words and actions show that he has the intent of harming me.

next we would have to explore the "use of force continuum"
Use of force continuum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you have to assess the situation and use a "reasonable " amount of force to deal with the situation. questions arise what is reasonable ? often, to only match the amount of force does not work... no easy answers here.

my general and sweeping advise would be ...dont. if you have the choice about self defense than the answer is NO. self defense is for when there are no choices left and its happening, like it of not... the attacker is hitting you, cutting you , shooting at you...or someone under your umbrella of protection.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
this is a good example of a point i wanted to make,
as you pointed out, the written statutes laws are vague at best this means that often the judge relies on case law and what precedents have been set before. this can mean a very random outcome, thus as i already suggested the best way to get reliable info for your area is to consult a good lawyer.
to save me some time in writing this clip has some good info on the "stand your ground" law ,,,which Kansas has adopted.

at about 8:00 min in Massad explains the 3 requirements for deadly force. these are the same 3 requirements i use to determine any use of force.

1...Ability...does this person have the physical capabilty to harm me
2..Opportunity.. is he close enough to harm me
3.. Intent.. does his words and actions show that he has the intent of harming me.

next we would have to explore the "use of force continuum"
Use of force continuum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you have to assess the situation and use a "reasonable " amount of force to deal with the situation. questions arise what is reasonable ? often, to only match the amount of force does not work... no easy answers here.

my general and sweeping advise would be ...dont. if you have the choice about self defense than the answer is NO. self defense is for when there are no choices left and its happening, like it of not... the attacker is hitting you, cutting you , shooting at you...or someone under your umbrella of protection.

Wow! Thank you very much for that! That was really helpful. I always take the mindset of FLEE AT ALL COSTS IF POSSIBLE. I really thank you for doing that footwork finding that information.
I had an officer tell me years ago I needed to take three steps away, and if pursued I would be clear "kicking my assailants @ss. But that never felt right to me.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great responses. I believe I have the information I came for on this subject.
I really feel welcome here, thank you all for that!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, I went to a friends apartment and some nut job pulled a machete on us. We got him out of the apartment "without incident".
My question is, at what point do I have legal right to take action against the crazed individual? (I live in Kansas, and some wording in the laws is confusing).
Thanks!
The fact that you are telling this story and not a story about someone who cut you and your friend with a machete tells me that you did the right thing. The situation didn't escalate which is always a good thing. And he didn't attack you with the machete which is always the best thing. I'm assuming that the situation didn't end without a physical fight so that's always the goal. The fighting part is the last resort which can sometimes come very quickly.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great responses. I believe I have the information I came for on this subject.
I really feel welcome here, thank you all for that!

Ha, well, we can change that.. (said with a smile, of course!)

I've read them but I started when I was 14 so the legal aspect wasn't a big deal then…

To add to this, I've had one aikido instructor, as our town has NO martial arts school.
This was just one of the strangest thing that's happened in a town of 5k people, and was wondering how others may have handled the situation
But on that note, I'm open to reading materials to expand my knowledge!!!

I've noticed a few times that you've mentioned 20 years of training… however you've also only given the above as a list of your training background. If I understand this correctly, when you were 14 you started training… and have had one Aikido instructor in this time… but now there is no instructor in your area… so I was wondering if you could clarify exactly what your training background is. Primarily so we know what level to aim our comments at, you understand.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First glad this did not escalate and cause harm to you or your friend. Kudos to you, that was great use of your MA skills by diffusing the situation with words and not physically.
I would suggest probably be more aware of where you choose to stand around talking than to look for legal avenues as to how far you could go, situational awareness can be invaluable when/if its a life or death situation.
Be safe not sorry.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed a few times that you've mentioned 20 years of training… however you've also only given the above as a list of your training background. If I understand this correctly, when you were 14 you started training… and have had one Aikido instructor in this time… but now there is no instructor in your area… so I was wondering if you could clarify exactly what your training background is. Primarily so we know what level to aim our comments at, you understand.

Agreed. I've currently been replying under the assumption that you had 20 years of formal training elsewhere and just move there, but realized rereading that this might not be the case since it seems like you've been in this town for a while. What specifically is your experience?

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my 20 years of "experience" is talking to people, getting into stupid fights and learning from various friends who were ex military or trained tradionally/mma, etc. (From. When I lived in other places), and practicing Tai Chi.
And LOTS of BOOK STUDYING, and the VERY basics of aikido.
I Apologize for being misleading, it wasn't my intention AT ALL!

Latest Discussions