Has olympic Taekwondo ruined the reputation of the art?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...That guy sucked. Simple as that. Again even at my advanced age I would welcome someone to attempt to misjudge me based on me practicing TKD. There are so many people doing TKD that are not good that think they are good that they go out and make fools of themselves. Go into any TKD school and you will only find 1 maybe 2, and if your lucky 3 people that are any good. What I mean by any good is that they are fighters, regardless of TKD. TKD is an art for everyone. And when you get as many people doing it as many schools have, most of them are simply there for exercise or an activity. They would not or could not fight no matter what art they do. Simple as this, fighters fight and will be good at fighting no matter what style of art they do. Fighters are tough, can take as much as they give and will adapt to the situation. Sadly many people that do TKD that are not fighters, think they are but find out the hard way that they are not fighters. Same can be said for many in all the other arts too. Not every person doing MMA is good or even OK for that matter. I have seen many MMA, BJJ, Boxing and so on fights that are just as lopsided, but no one ever says man that MMA style sucks when they lose also against a better fighter. Just that most people see things a little myopic is all. Open your eyes people, there are a ton of sucky people doing every art.

I have to agree with you regarding "fighters", but I cant help but think if you got 100 "random" wtf tkd guys and put them up against 100 "random" boxing/muay thai/mma guys that the tkd guys would come off second best on most occasions. I could well be wrong, but its just a gut feeling.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with you regarding "fighters", but I cant help but think if you got 100 "random" wtf tkd guys and put them up against 100 "random" boxing/muay thai/mma guys that the tkd guys would come off second best on most occasions. I could well be wrong, but its just a gut feeling.

In what format of competition?

Before anyone thinks i am, im not pulling the 'systems-excell-in-their-competitions' angle. I just wanna know what sort of environment theyd be put together in. Just freefighting in an arena? MMA rules? What?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Are you talking about 100 random "fighters" or just 100 random students. If it's students, then you're almost certainly correct. There are so many TKD people that if you took a random sampling most of them would be very poor fighters. If you're talking about fighters to begin with, then I think it would depend on the ruleset and how much time they had to prepare for the given ruleset.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have followed this thread with interest and the one question I have, as I no longer compete, is why do people struggle to fight when they change styles, clubs, organizations? I know that is a relatively open ended question and a lot of people will answer that it will be the ruleset, but if you train hard and spar hard and practice as much as you can in any art, surely your key skills, as it were, should be transferable.

I have fought semi-contact, full contact and point stop style of fighting and apart from having to check on the rules I have found that I have had no real difficulty swapping from one to the other. Sure, I mainly excelled at full contact and mma style fighting as it enabled me to use all my skills, semi-contact meant that I possibly couldn't punch to the head or kick below the waist, but that was an easy adjustment to make and point stop just meant I had to dial back my power and stop fighting whenever the ref called it.

I personally teach my students to fight hard, we spar as if we are full contact fighters, and hit between 60 - 80% of our full power, as I believe this is more practical for the street, but the competitions we can participate in are the point stop style and I believe my students would no struggle to make the distinction between the 2.

Forgive me as I don't mean to sound insulting, but surely a TKD practitioner should be able to move from his WTF ruleset, for example, to a full contact environment and transfer his skills across. Therefore, if he excelled at TKD sparring I would expect him to stand up against a full contact fighter fairly well, probably on an equal footing (obviously if going into mma with only TKD, he will struggle with the grappling and ground work as they would have little to no experience in those areas). Baring in mind, this scenario should also work vice versa, i.e. a full contact fighter moving into a WTF style competition sparring environment.

Just my 2 pence :)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
In what format of competition?

Before anyone thinks i am, im not pulling the 'systems-excell-in-their-competitions' angle. I just wanna know what sort of environment theyd be put together in. Just freefighting in an arena? MMA rules? What?
for aguments sake, say a streetfight, bar room fight sort of thing. With a ruleset I would imagine who ever trains for that ruleset would win.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the question is "what do you want to be?"

if it is an olympic champion? then WTF training is the thing to do

BUT

if it is to be a well rounded martial artist with good self defense skills, maybe it isnt

i dont think wtf training is the best tool for well rounded self defense training.

the problem is that WTF fighters use the TKD name, so in a very real way, yes, the olympics have ruined TKD's image

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have followed this thread with interest and the one question I have, as I no longer compete, is why do people struggle to fight when they change styles, clubs, organizations? I know that is a relatively open ended question and a lot of people will answer that it will be the ruleset, but if you train hard and spar hard and practice as much as you can in any art, surely your key skills, as it were, should be transferable.

I have fought semi-contact, full contact and point stop style of fighting and apart from having to check on the rules I have found that I have had no real difficulty swapping from one to the other. Sure, I mainly excelled at full contact and mma style fighting as it enabled me to use all my skills, semi-contact meant that I possibly couldn't punch to the head or kick below the waist, but that was an easy adjustment to make and point stop just meant I had to dial back my power and stop fighting whenever the ref called it.

I personally teach my students to fight hard, we spar as if we are full contact fighters, and hit between 60 - 80% of our full power, as I believe this is more practical for the street, but the competitions we can participate in are the point stop style and I believe my students would no struggle to make the distinction between the 2.

Forgive me as I don't mean to sound insulting, but surely a TKD practitioner should be able to move from his WTF ruleset, for example, to a full contact environment and transfer his skills across. Therefore, if he excelled at TKD sparring I would expect him to stand up against a full contact fighter fairly well, probably on an equal footing (obviously if going into mma with only TKD, he will struggle with the grappling and ground work as they would have little to no experience in those areas). Baring in mind, this scenario should also work vice versa, i.e. a full contact fighter moving into a WTF style competition sparring environment.

Just my 2 pence :)

It may be possible to do this at the local level, but I highly doubt if would work out beyond that. Different rules make a different game. Look at how few athletes can play more than one sport at the highest level.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Daniel, my new gym is focused on Self defense, so we don't train for rulsets. I personally feel that boxing+grapling with a lil kicking(I only know a few) makes for a GREAT unarmed selfdefense skillset. My coach also is trained in knife and counter knife(both armed and unarmed thanks to the military) on top of our striking and grappling(both standing and ground). He is even making arrangements for a local Judo club to come and train with us. Which imho Is fracking awesome, because I would love to learn some new throws and polish the ones I know now. I don't expect a tkd or anyone else, to learn the entire art of jjj or judo, inorder to not get taken down, or how to survive there and get to there feet. I just feel that, you need to actually train there so you don't get lost, and atleast know how to escape from the ground so you can get back to you feet.
Sounds like a fun place. Different environment than your average TKD school. I will be the first to agree that the more styles one trains with, whether learning the style or simply gaining familiarity with it, the better prepared one will be. It also gives one an appreciation of what is going on outside of their own sphere. It is very easy to view one's own world of taekwondo, or any other art, as being the big picture when in reality, even with an art as widespread as taekwondo, it is simply a part of the greater whole.

Having said that, I watched that video again, and all he had to do to avoid being shot down, was move either rearward(not optimal) or to the side.(optimal) He just stood there and didn't move, that was his mistake, his over confidence in him self.
There are a lot of recordings of subpar performance on youtube. As I said earlier, I do not use it as a barometer of the state of an art, regardless of what it is. I've seen a lot of bad sword vids. And even more mediocre sword vids.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just tossing this out for the sake of discussion...

Would it be fair to say that Olympic TKD has been beneficial (for the most part) for TKD schools that center on sport, but probably hasn't done much (positive or negative) for TKD schools that center on self-defense? This isn't meant to be a sport vs. SD question, rather it is looking at a particular public venue that exposes the masses to one segment of TKD but not really the other.

Thoughts...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the question is "what do you want to be?"
A good father, an honest person, and a person who can enjoy life and have good quality of life.

if it is an olympic champion? then WTF training is the thing to do
Or boxing, judo, gymnastics, archery, track and fields, swimming, skating, or fencing.

BUT

if it is to be a well rounded martial artist with good self defense skills, maybe it isnt
Depends on how you define a well rounded martial artist. Again, the sense that I get is that KKW/WTF schools do not train "WTF" exclusively, but train in a more well rounded curriculum. You may choose to ignore that or dismiss it, but that doesn't negate the fact that your characterization of WTF sparring as being passed off as comprehensive self defense is incorrect.

As has been said previously, the issue isn't the rule set but highly commercialized schools which succeed (financially) by providing a family friendly martial arts themed activity.

i dont think wtf training is the best tool for well rounded self defense training.
Of course it isn't. It's a competition rule set for what amounts to Korean sport karate. The last two TKD schools where I trained separated self defense from competition. I see enough posts from other taekwondoin and have spoken to enough from other schools to know that those two schools were not unique.

the problem is that WTF fighters use the TKD name, so in a very real way, yes, the olympics have ruined TKD's image
Obviously not.

KKW/WTF schools, at least in this area, have, with few exceptions, weathered the recession, and seem to be attracting new students. I don't even teach or train TKD at a dojang right now and I still have people ask me about taekwondo, if it would be a good fit for them or their kids, and then about various schools in the area, most of which are KKW/WTF.

More accurately, the Olympics do not present the image of taekwondo that you want to see presented. In fact, it doesn't present taekwondo that way that I would prefer either, but that doesn't ruin its reputation in any way.

I said this in a previous thread: Mel Gibson's reputation is ruined. Hardly anybody wants to work with him or be associated with him. He is spoken of entirely or almost entirely in a negative light. People are not interested in consuming his material, regardless of how good an actor or director he may be or how good his film may be. I don't remember the name of his last action movie, but a critic said that he actually enjoyed it, but that nobody would likely pay to see it because it was Mel Gibson. That is a ruined reputation.

Last edited:

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Would it be fair to say that Olympic TKD has been beneficial (for the most part) for TKD schools that center on sport, but probably hasn't done much (positive or negative) for TKD schools that center on self-defense? This isn't meant to be a sport vs. SD question, rather it is looking at a particular public venue that exposes the masses to one segment of TKD but not really the other.

Thoughts...

Indirectly, I think so.

There were two dojangs here, my KKW affiliated one and a non-affiliated ITF-ish one. I have a bit of a soft spot for competition as a lot of you know.

After the Olympics, I picked up three students because they wanted to learn to compete and the other dojang picked up three parents of those students who decided to try Taekwondo while their kids did but for whatever reason, I wasn't the right fit for. The other teacher told me it was pretty common and in his old school, he had a good number of people who had family members in "sporty-er" KKW schools.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Thoughts...
Without any kind of stats on how Olympic inclusion has impacted enrollment, it would be hard to say. I suspect that it has probably had a minor halo effect on taekwondo schools in general. Being in the Olympics is 'nice.' It generates warm fuzzy feelings in people who care about such things and lends a measure of prestige in the minds of some.

From what I have seen though, unless someone already has an interest it is unlikely that Olympic inclusion of those sports is really driving people in. There are probably a few people who see it and say, "Hey, there's school for that here. Maybe I'll try it," but I suspect that most viewers are rooting for their nation and are probably only watching it because they already are involved, either directly or indirectly (kids). Also, unless you're already a participant, people have a hard time really understanding what they're watching. Aside from 'body kick good, head kick better,' other elements of the sport are more difficult to pick up on.

Schools that have programs focused on high level competition are attracting people because they're competitive schools, not because of Olympic exposure.

Now, I could be very mistaken on that, and perhaps worldwide, Olympic inclusion has had a much greater impact on enrollment than it has in the US. But in all the time I have been in TKD dojangs, not once have I ever seen anyone say that the Olympics factored into their reasons for joining. They were almost all related to kids, fitness, and self defense, and in that order.

I would be interested to know if others' experiences have been different.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would love to see ten of the top ranked fighers in each style; ten MT and ten TKD. I really don't care who would win, but it would very interesting to watch.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How can you tell whether that guy sucked at TKD or not from that clip?
I have to ask the same question. Aside from making a tactical error (staying one place for too long while his opponent developed his attack), I really couldn't get any sense of his ability one way or the other. He was obviously outmatched once they went to the ground, but aside from that, there wasn't enough there to make an assessment.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can you tell whether that guy sucked at TKD or not from that clip?
There was a lot in a very short amount of time that tipped that this guy was not that good by standards that I am use to seeing even by TKD guys from around this way that do MMA as well as TKD. His kicking skills were not that great as his pre fight ax kicked showed. Now he may have been stretching out his legs but even so they looked more like a can can dance style more than even stretching out. You don't bounce on the kick motion but this guy did. That is something beginners do. Also the one attempt at a kick he did do (I am guessing that he tried a jump or flying side kick was poorly executed and no one would use that kick to attack with, let alone right out the gate, just a bad or stupid choice of kick. But the worst thing is the fact that he did not see the slowest biggest motion for a take down. That should have been an easy slip but this guy had no reading or reaction to it whatsoever. He looked flexible but he did not look like a fighter at all. His ground game was a simple school yard head lock that a beginner in wrestling would have reversed or escaped easily. Again the guy was not a fighter at all and it showed. This guy could have been a boxer or anything and would have gotten beat just as easily. This again goes back to my statement that just as many MMA, BJJ, Karate, Boxing and on and on guys get beat everyday just as badly and as quick as any TKD guy. But when you see a bad MMA guy get beat quickly and badly by another MMA guy no one says anything. Then there are the TKD guys that excel at MMA with a little ground game and everyone dismisses their TKD even when they use one of those so called fancy high kicks to KO a pretty good MMA or other style opponent. It is what it is, fighters are fighters regardless of style of art used.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was a lot in a very short amount of time that tipped that this guy was not that good by standards that I am use to seeing even by TKD guys from around this way that do MMA as well as TKD. His kicking skills were not that great as his pre fight ax kicked showed. Now he may have been stretching out his legs but even so they looked more like a can can dance style more than even stretching out. You don't bounce on the kick motion but this guy did. That is something beginners do. Also the one attempt at a kick he did do (I am guessing that he tried a jump or flying side kick was poorly executed and no one would use that kick to attack with, let alone right out the gate, just a bad or stupid choice of kick.
This goes to show that unless you are competing at that level, there are a lot of subtleties that you will miss. I practice taekwondo and didn't pick any of that out. I haven't competed in years, and even then, never at a very high level.

But the worst thing is the fact that he did not see the slowest biggest motion for a take down. That should have been an easy slip but this guy had no reading or reaction to it whatsoever. He looked flexible but he did not look like a fighter at all. His ground game was a simple school yard head lock that a beginner in wrestling would have reversed or escaped easily. Again the guy was not a fighter at all and it showed. This guy could have been a boxer or anything and would have gotten beat just as easily.
The bolded part was my assessment as well. I will let those who wrestle or ground fight comment on the rest.

This again goes back to my statement that just as many MMA, BJJ, Karate, Boxing and on and on guys get beat everyday just as badly and as quick as any TKD guy. But when you see a bad MMA guy get beat quickly and badly by another MMA guy no one says anything. Then there are the TKD guys that excel at MMA with a little ground game and everyone dismisses their TKD even when they use one of those so called fancy high kicks to KO a pretty good MMA or other style opponent. It is what it is, fighters are fighters regardless of style of art used.
This has been said many times by many people in the course of these discussions over the years.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that head lock, im my JJJ class could have more then likely been used to try and control his opponents head. He had several openings to put him into full guard. From there, I am taught several escapes, the simplest of which was available to him for a decent period of time. Honestly he should have moved, IDK wtf was wrong with him.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am currently in hotel in Germany.....spent 6 Hours @ a airport in London...I spoke with several people from England...they talked about Jade Jones and Aaron CookThe bartender in the pub (Hamburg) last night was Turkish....we had an extensive conversation about Servet Tazegal and Levent Tuncat...he talked about how Olympic style Tkd is very popular in Turkey.Sport TKD Seems to be more known in Europe than in the states we are certainly being approached more!!!!

Latest Discussions