Has olympic Taekwondo ruined the reputation of the art?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, and... what is your point?

WTF guys do WTF sparring at KKW and would not want to waste their time doing anything but WTF sparring since that's what they are going to compete in. This I submit is true for most schools, not all. Or else I would want someone to elaborate why they would train in two separate freestyle formats, when ITFers clearly don't. We base our freestyle sparring on uppcoming competitions.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"We". You represent the majority of KKWs? Have you visited 50% of KKWS? Why on earth would I expect a KKW school with students eager for WTF torneys, to spar anything other than WTF rules? Just as I wouldn't expect ITF guys to waste time with muay thai sparring rules for ITF competitions.

Some offer Kukikwon certificates while teaching ITF patterns and doing a hole bunch of unconventional things. It is not these schools that form the majority of what is known as WTF competitors training in KKW school.

I'm not the one making claims about what "most" schools do. You are. You've done so in several different posts.

But, as usual, you cant provide any reason to think you know your rectum from a hole in the ground.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF guys do WTF sparring at KKW and would not want to waste their time doing anything but WTF sparring since that's what they are going to compete in. This I submit is true for most schools, not all. Or else I would want someone to elaborate why they would train in two separate freestyle formats, when ITFers clearly don't. We base our freestyle sparring on uppcoming competitions.

We use at least 4 different freestyle formats.
Because not everybody is as limited as you.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
WTF players focus on WTF sparring. However, the VAST majority of Kukkiwon students are not competitors, particularly serious competitors.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
WTF players focus on WTF sparring. However, the VAST majority of Kukkiwon students are not competitors, particularly serious competitors.

And I am not an ITF competitor. That doesn't mean that I don't have to abide by their sparring format in the dojang. I am obliged to train ITF sparring during class time.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
If your school is competition focused, sure. Not all schools are.

Only if you say so. I haven't heard of ITF affiliated schools in which no practitioner wish to compete in ITF. The Olympics is a major attraction for obvious reasons and would be ten times more motivating for KKWs, which it also is.

Last edited:

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you concider a school with sparring once a week (at most) to be competition oriented? That's my school.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Only if you say so. I haven't heard of ITF affiliated schools in which no practitioner wish to compete in ITF. The Olympics is a major attraction for obvious reasons and would be ten times more motivating for KKWs, which it also is.
Dude, there are only like two slots for men and two for women every four years. The number of people seriously trying for the Olympic team is incredibly small.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dude, there are only like two slots for men and two for women every four years. The number of people seriously trying for the Olympic team is incredibly small.

That's certainly true. But I have just given you a fairly good case for how even the least sport oriented school still imposes competition sparring rules. I am not saying there are no KKW schools that offer alternatives, but to say that those schools are the majority....

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's certainly true. But I have just given you a fairly good case for how even the least sport oriented school still imposes competition sparring rules. I am not saying there are no KKW schools that offer alternatives, but to say that those schools are the majority....
I would expect that just about all KKW schools use WTF rules...some of the time. In my experience, there are very few "sport" schools. There's no money in it.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would expect that just about all KKW schools use WTF rules...some of the time. In my experience, there are very few "sport" schools. There's no money in it.

I must be dreaming:D Who are we having an argument with if there does not exist a major TKD divide in the world between traditional and sport oriented?

I know some schools that increase the level of contact and even includes additional free style sparring formats. I concider these schools unique, and that includes both the KKW and ITF.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I must be dreaming:D Who are we having an argument with if there does not exist a major TKD divide in the world between traditional and sport oriented?

I know some schools that increase the level of contact and even includes additional free style sparring formats. I concider these schools unique, and that includes both the KKW and ITF.
I'm sure you are reporting what you have seen, but how much have you seen? How much experience do you have outside your local area? My experience is in the US and in Korea. In both countries, my experience is that there are far more family or recreational taekwondo schools and relatively few hardcore sports schools. In Korea, there are high school and university programs for that.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the context of KKW, most countries make a differentiation between elite sport and non-elite sport Taekwondo. Non-elite sport clubs are by FAR in the majority, and those schools feature different kinds of sparring in their syllabus, along with a more diverse range of targets and techniques.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure you are reporting what you have seen, but how much have you seen? How much experience do you have outside your local area? My experience is in the US and in Korea. In both countries, my experience is that there are far more family or recreational taekwondo schools and relatively few hardcore sports schools. In Korea, there are high school and university programs for that.

But neither WTF or ITF are prominent in the US. Partly because the country is filled with of shoot organisations that are neither ITF or KKW.

South Korea is not the strongest nation in WTF sparring either. I am not sure why that is, given that TKD is part of their school program.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
But neither WTF or ITF are prominent in the US. Partly because the country is filled with of shoot organisations that are neither ITF or KKW.

South Korea is not the strongest nation in WTF sparring either. I am not sure why that is, given that TKD is part of their school program.
For the elite of the elite, korea is not always the best, but if you took the top 50 or so players from each country I'm betting Korea would be pretty dominant.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Mexiko, Turkey and Iran are some countries that have produced far more world class sparring competitiors. Taekwondo Data World s largest Taekwondo Database
I don't care what countries have won. The playing field at the elite level is fairly even. World class coaching and training can be found in many countries now. I'm talking about total athlete pools. There are tons of guys here in Korea that nobody's ever heard of that would dominate in lots of other countries.