Has anyone tried the Yelena Pawela tapes?

Has anyone tried the Yelena Pawela tapes?

• post replies

• post attachments

Results are only viewable after voting.
A

ahlspiess

Has anyone tried the Yelena Pawela tapes from TRS? I am debating whether I should go with the Pawela tapes or the tapes from Alexander Popov. Is there a company that sells the Alexander Popov tapes?);)

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Got her tapes, super-basic stuff, things you might learn at a community center one-session women's self defense class.
Have not seen AP's stuff, cannot comment.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

OP
R

Rich_

Never heard of her - Does she teach ROSS, Systema, combat Sambo, what?

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
She has some tapes out on TRS ( http://www.TRSDirect.com ). She was a police officer in Moscow. I saw a demostration that she gave at the Arnold Classic in Ohio 2003. She had a dog that did tricks (like 'bite the bad guy' and 'eat the aggressor') and then she did some real basic Hand-to-Hand.

thanks,
Jeremy Bays

OP
R

Rich_

HAHAHAHAHAHA, what a fantastic website! Dearie me... *wiping a tear from his eye*

I liked the Indian fighting system spiel:
"The most feared... most respected... and most hyper-skilled fighter who ever walked this earth... was the American Indian. In fact, the lowliest Comanche warrior could wipe out an entire troop of "civilized" soldiers all on his lonesome."

And this from a 12th dan blackbelt (and a 4th dan in 'Yondan', too, apparently) - it must be effective. It's amazing those "civilised" Europeans ever got a foothold.

I'm going back to have a look, I haven't had such a good laugh in ages.

Anyway, from what I've seen of the site, I'd definitely say go with Vlad or Scott for videos.

OP
R

Rommel

A friend gave me her tapes as a present. Warning, don't waste your money on them. Vladimir has the best tapes out there by far especially the new STRIKES video coming out soon. I was priviledged to review and make comments about the tapes and they are AWESOME!!! Should be out soon!!!;)

OP
T

Todd

These were the worst tapes I have ever seen, and the only tapes that I have ever sent back for a refund. (Note: At least TRS will give you a full refund if not satisfied) In my opinion TRS will lose alot of money on these tapes

Mark Jakabcsin

Green Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn! Now you guys got me wanting me to spend my money to see these tapes. I am a bit of a connoisseur of bad MA tapes. Is it funny bad like Ron Duncun's "...earth evolving around the sun" and/or the American Kenjitsu Federation tape which is just a scream? Or is it just bad with no entertainment value at all? People of bad taste want to know.

mark

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a note: Tape trading of copies is not legal, and as such not allowed on MT. Tape trading of originals is ok.

:asian:

OP
R

Rommel

It depends if those copies are not copyrighted. All the tapes I trade are either originals or classes I videotaped with my own camera, hence, I own the rights. Thanks anyway for the reminder.

OP
R

Rich_

If you're taping the classes being goven by someone else, then they have a proprietary right to that material. If you're taping your own practice with your own commentary for private use, no-one will complain. But still, if you're just taping yourself repeating more-or-less exactly stuff from a seminar to sell on, the teacher could be aggrieved. It's still intellectual property.

Look at it this way; if you smuggle a camera into a cinema and video the film, that's piracy. If you re-enact the scene with your friends and then sell it on, it's copyright infringement. If you do it just to give a few friends a laugh, that's your business. :)

jellyman

Green Belt
Reaction score
It never hurts to clear it with Vlad, but my last understanding is that he doesn't mind people taping regular classes, just not seminars. Just so long as you don't sell the stuff.