Has anyone Taught their own Children

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As the title says has anyone taught their own kids and to what success/failure

I did start my 3 off and did "coach" them on at home until I felt I was having to much of an influence over their "style" and technique.

I have 3 girls (yes a nightmare waiting in line for the bathroom lol) the eldest she never pursued the arts as she was and is to much of a bully lol (tho she did regret that as the middle one did when she was 8 and the big one was 14 umm kinda sort her out which on looking back was funny ) The middle one was a natural and took to everything like a duck to water but ...lol... she was not so good under pressure (she is now lol) the youngest, she was slower on the uptake at first but now (imo) is the best as she is more fluid and exerts less energy in performing a technique.

They now study at different schools and that is quite easy to spot (nothing bad btw) just their sensei's different approach.

Anyways just wondered if any one else has trained etc their own kids

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've trained my wife (1st Dan) one son (4th geup) and one daughter (2nd Geup). Not really any different from training any other student.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach my son (almost 6 years old). He’s been “training” since he was 3. I’ve been his teacher for the last year. He’s like any other student, except I have to remind him that at the dojang I’m Sabumnim, not Dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Opposite. I've taught both my parents. Mom just got her 1st Dan, Dad just got his 2nd Dan. I was supposed to go for 3rd Dan with them but postponed my test due to injury.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I supplement what my two kids do in class with extra 'lessons' at home - not sure if it counts within the topic though...

I do notice quite a difference between their recall of techniques vs. other kids around the same age, but whether that's entirely down to me or simply them doing stuff at home too I can't say.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I supplement what my two kids do in class with extra 'lessons' at home - not sure if it counts within the topic though...

I do notice quite a difference between their recall of techniques vs. other kids around the same age, but whether that's entirely down to me or simply them doing stuff at home too I can't say.

Combination of both, probably. The fact you practice with them at home probably helps make sure they practice at home. Also, a lot of the parents at my dojang I think try to help their kids, but they don't really know what they're doing, so either they can't help them and give up, or they try anyway and give them wrong advice.

There's another problem that comes up too, with the helicopter parent. We don't really have trouble with parents at my dojang telling us how to do our jobs teaching the kids (some will tell me it's okay to be stricter or more punitive towards their kids, but none of the parent hovering over me while I'm trying to teach). However, we have a few parents who will kibitz their kid during class. In some cases it's ok, because the parent is usually encouraging and helps their kid refocus.

Other times, it becomes a distraction for the kid. Sometimes even worse. We have a student who was fairly slow (physically) and didn't have much confidence. He showed a small improvement in class and my Master told him "good job" and his face just lit up! Then his grandpa reminded him of something else he needed to fix and his face immediately fell again. For a brief instant the kid felt good about himself and it was torn down again right there.

But circling around back to you - it sounds like you're helping.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Parents are a pain lol... I know my girls told me that regularly ...

I get what your saying re the grand parent and the kid and it frustrating when you really wanna say ... Go away ...Politely

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I teach my kids, usually on an ad hoc basis.
my eldesti taught a bit before she started TKD.
at the moment she consistently is more receptive to her instructor, but working with her privately out of class for items helps to refine technique.
my youngest is 4, I keep the lessons brief and simple, he will probably start class next year.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Parents are a pain lol... I know my girls told me that regularly ...

I get what your saying re the grand parent and the kid and it frustrating when you really wanna say ... Go away ...Politely

Yes. I mean, what he's saying is technically correct, but he completely destroys his kid's confidence. It's something I've had to work on. White belts don't need perfect punches and kicks. People don't need to know everything in the curriculum as soon as they get a new belt. People can make mistakes and still be doing a good job.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is probably a point for a different thread but isn't the point of teaching to actually improve the beginners as they are the future ...It great to concentrate on the yudansha and it is fun and looks good trowing and falling and all the cool looking stuff but really shouldn't it be the beginners that need the confidence and the support ? ...just my opinion

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score

This is where I'm at. I do not feel "qualified" to "teach" any particular art/discipline. However, I have trained at a lot of different schools, been trained by various agencies I worked for, and exposed to a decent helpin of violence. So I make sure my daughter receives professional instruction (in TMA), then work with her on concepts of how to tweek what she is learning into something a little more street applicable.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have taught my kids the basics, the same thing I was teaching at the police academy but minus the handcuffing.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Combination of both, probably. The fact you practice with them at home probably helps make sure they practice at home. Also, a lot of the parents at my dojang I think try to help their kids, but they don't really know what they're doing, so either they can't help them and give up, or they try anyway and give them wrong advice.

But circling around back to you - it sounds like you're helping.

This is where I'm at. I do not feel "qualified" to "teach" any particular art/discipline. However, I have trained at a lot of different schools, been trained by various agencies I worked for, and exposed to a decent helpin of violence. So I make sure my daughter receives professional instruction (in TMA), then work with her on concepts of how to tweek what she is learning into something a little more street applicable.

With mine, one is doing kickboxing, the other one TKD.

I do both, and I'm at a higher level than them so it's not too complicated for me to stick to the curriculum while adding a tiny bit here and there (not too much added, they're just kids ;))

In class, I just let them get on with it and don't get involved unless I'm asked to work on something with them - pretty much the same as any other student.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With mine, one is doing kickboxing, the other one TKD.

I do both, and I'm at a higher level than them so it's not too complicated for me to stick to the curriculum while adding a tiny bit here and there (not too much added, they're just kids ;))

In class, I just let them get on with it and don't get involved unless I'm asked to work on something with them - pretty much the same as any other student.

Is it not the tiny bits that make the difference to the whole... You knowing them may be able to explain a concept or a technique in or from a different "angle" and tweak the things that you can see easier as you are almost one on one

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it not the tiny bits that make the difference to the whole... You knowing them may be able to explain a concept or a technique in or from a different "angle" and tweak the things that you can see easier as you are almost one on one

Definitely, and them knowing me means they're that little bit more likely to understand what I'm trying to tell them.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That sir is the key you know them their temperaments, their skills and abilities ...it almost (not entirely though) being like uchi-deshi

Latest Discussions