has anyone here achieved something like this?

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Something great has happend for me last night at TKD, a definate mile stone in my training/journey of the Martial Arts.
For the first time ever, I have beaten my head instructor in a pads free sparring match, for the past several months it has been very close between the two of us but I could never quite beat him until now.
I knew that this day would come sometime.

Now I dont want anyone to interpet this the wrong way that Im trying to brag or something, but I have only seen one other person with my own eyes win against my instructor, and that was at a Tourny when he competed in the master's division taking second place. (Im not saying that he has not ever been beaten before accept once, Im only saying that I have never seen it done but once)
Although I have made a great accomplishment, I still consider myself as an inferior Martial Artist compared to my master, not just because of rank and age, but because sparring is only one aspect of the martial arts.
He has a much greater knowledge of the other aspects of the martial arts compared to me.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced something like this in their training?

regards-
Hwoarang_tkd26

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No can't say that I have, by the time I was able to beat my Father and other instructors, I knew how to be humble and except the fact that my youth and speed was no match for them at there age. On the subject great for you what a self confidence builder this must be for you. Keep up the good work.

Terry Lee Stoker

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The few times I ever sparred against my Instructor put me in my place real quick. His sense of timing, speed, and control were simply incredible. He didn't get to be Korean National Free Fighting Champion accidentally. And this was in the 60's, when it was full contact and people got hurt or killed.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ihave technically beat my instructor a few times, but that was because he was undergoing the training to fufill his journy to become a master and wasn't in much condition to duke it out.

Outside of that, nope, my instructor wipes the floor with me and I can see that he holds back a little bit. Last time that I tried I did a flip in mid air and landed hard on my back after getting smacked with a spin hook kick. The guy is twice my age and still he could time it so that he could land the shot. Then again, that is why he is the master. :p

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only time I came close was the day he and I discussed my black belt test. He grabbed his pads and said that I needed to spar with him before he would consider me as a black belt candidate. To be honest I don't know if I won or lost but I gave him everything I possibly could and then some. Afterwards he and I were both tired and I noticed he sat down against the wall. While taking his gloves off he said we'll schedule the test soon.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:
My question is, has anyone ever experienced something like this in their training?

Nothing exactly like that no. Once in a while, there'll be a day when I'll hold my own against my instructor in sparring without him holding back as much as he usually does. I don't really think of that as a sign of advancement, just as me having a good day.