Has anyone ever heard of a red sash in Aikido?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP: I've been around a lot of Japanese arts (not as many as some on this board), including Aikido. I've never seen a red sash. I've never seen a sash (as a rank) at all, in any of them. A red belt would usually be a very high rank (above black, usually reserved for a very small number of very senior practitioners - unlikely to be achievable before age 40 or 50 in most cases). In a few, as others have said, it may show up as a lower rank. In some Korean arts, I think a red belt shows up just prior to black.

But no, unless he was in some odd offshoot I've never heard of, he was never a "red sash" in Aikido.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I know Tea Kwon Do,

Really? I am familiar with Tae Kwon Do (the Way of Kicking and Punching) but not Tea Kwon Do (the Way of Caffeine and Punching?). Can you tell us more? Are ranks, perhaps, indicated by colored spoons or napkins, rather than belts?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. Even black doesn't, really.

In today's marketing hype. You aren't kidding. Rename the phenomenon, "Black is the new Orange". :)

I have even seen pink belts and camo belts. Not to mention stripe combos as far as the eye can see.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really? I am familiar with Tae Kwon Do (the Way of Kicking and Punching) but not Tea Kwon Do (the Way of Caffeine and Punching?). Can you tell us more? Are ranks, perhaps, indicated by colored spoons or napkins, rather than belts?
Its a way to go back to TKD's japanese roots. You learn how to strike and defend yourself during different parts of a japanese tea ceremony.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just did a Google search for Tea Kwon Do and ...nothing came up. Not trademarked or anything. That´s an opportunity is what that is ....for any tea product marketer. ¨Start your day with a cup of our Tea Kwon Do ....tea with a kick!¨