Harunaka Hoshino Ninja Ken DVD

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my son's friends gave me a DVD about Ninja ken by this gent, Hoshino. I watched it and, well, I have mixed feelings and found some of historicity and some of the sword descriptions to be straight from the movies. Some of the techniques, while ones with which I am familiar, came with descriptions of their use that I found lacking. His demonstration of technique did not impress me, regardless of hits authenticity or historicity.

So the question is, does this guy have any legitimate credentials or is he considered a fake? Or something else?

The DVD is Vol. 1 of a set. I have attached an image of it.

I figured I'd ask, as I have never heard of the man and am hardly a ninja ken authority.

Thanks,

Daniel

Attachments

• $Ninja ken video.jpg
    $Ninja ken video.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 449

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly not worth the money you paid for it! (or your friend) Actually, this person is a known ..... but you did not here me telling you that!
icon6.gif

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Certainly not worth the money you paid for it! (or your friend) Actually, this person is a known ..... but you did not here me telling you that!
icon6.gif
Thankfully, the money I paid for it is zero. Not sure what my son's friend paid for it, but given that it is one DVD of the set (looks like three from the picture), I suspect that he picked it up used or it was given to him.

Daniel

Yoshin9

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He wrote a lot for Ninja magazine and his basic attitude was that everyone else was historically wrong. I enjoyed his sharing of various weapons but the majority of his students were very young which is a red flag for me.

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since I still have some of his God-awful yet amusing articles from Ninja magazine, I kind of want this video. As bad he was in print, in actual motion the humor should be glorious! Matt

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I still have some of his God-awful yet amusing articles from Ninja magazine, I kind of want this video. As bad he was in print, in actual motion the humor should be glorious! Matt

I have this DVD, got it as a "free gift" when I purchased a foam covered bokken online at one stage. I watched about 5 minutes in before turning it off as I couldn't stop laughing. It's now in the pile of similar dvds that I've received with padded Tanbo's/Escrima sticks and the like. The stealth ones are the best!

Latest Discussions