Happy Solstice!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's officially summer! The summer solstice marks the beginning of this wonderful season. It is that day of the year when the dark and light take equal parts of the day. From here on out, the time the sun lights the sky will wax while the time the moon holds sway wil wane until Midsummer, when the length of daylight will peak.

It's a beautiful day! Celebrate by enjoying the fields and forests where you live or, for you denizens of the urban landscape, a park or conservatory.

For those of you in merry old England, head off to Solisbury Hill, run skyclad through Stonhenge or have a pint of your local brew :)

Happy Solstice all!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
It's officially summer! The summer solstice marks the beginning of this wonderful season. It is that day of the year when the dark and light take equal parts of the day.

Sorry my friend,

Summer solstice marks the longest day of the year.

It is the Vernal and Autumnal equinox that mark when dark and light take equal parst of the day.

And why yes, a trip to Stonehenge was certainly in order.

Oh no no no, not the one across the pond. The one right here in Northern New England. ;)

http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/mysthill.htm

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Sorry my friend,

Summer solstice marks the longest day of the year.

It is the Vernal and Autumnal equinox that mark when dark and light take equal parst of the day.

And why yes, a trip to Stonehenge was certainly in order.

Oh no no no, not the one across the pond. The one right here in Northern New England. ;)

http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/mysthill.htm

lol...whoops! I stand corrected. I dunno where my head is at. Must be the move that's messing me up.

Cool! I didn't know we had one, too!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to worry, everyone goofs.

America's Stonehenge is a pretty cool site. They had a big celebration today, displays of flowers, banging on drums, whoopin' and hollerin'....er....of course, a proper New Englander would probably refer to such a thing as a "celebratory chant"

All good fun and and a great way to enjoy blue skies and low humidity.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
America's Stonehenge ... (at least according to the natives - a.k.a. my wife) ... is really just some old root cellars from the 17th century.

But here in New Hampshire, they think that everyone from Massachusetts (ah, that would be me - I'm still a tourist in this state) fits the most common reference of P.T. Barnum - something about birth and minutes.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
It's officially summer! The summer solstice marks the beginning of this wonderful season. It is that day of the year when the dark and light take equal parts of the day. From here on out, the time the sun lights the sky will wax while the time the moon holds sway wil wane until Midsummer, when the length of daylight will peak.

It's a beautiful day! Celebrate by enjoying the fields and forests where you live or, for you denizens of the urban landscape, a park or conservatory.

For those of you in merry old England, head off to Solisbury Hill, run skyclad through Stonhenge or have a pint of your local brew :)

Happy Solstice all!

It was the second day of straight rain. Looks like more rain for about a week. :(

Yet I like this time of the year. Summer is nice :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
America's Stonehenge ... (at least according to the natives - a.k.a. my wife) ... is really just some old root cellars from the 17th century.

But here in New Hampshire, they think that everyone from Massachusetts (ah, that would be me - I'm still a tourist in this state) fits the most common reference of P.T. Barnum - something about birth and minutes.

Well, me and my fellow sucker...I mean, Massachusetts office-mate...thought it was a dandy reason to go for a jog and skip out on a stupid meeting and enjoy the festivites. :boing1:

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Not to worry, everyone goofs.

America's Stonehenge is a pretty cool site. They had a big celebration today, displays of flowers, banging on drums, whoopin' and hollerin'....er....of course, a proper New Englander would probably refer to such a thing as a "celebratory chant"

All good fun and and a great way to enjoy blue skies and low humidity.

Damned Hippies! Just kidding