Hapkido vs. Yukwonsul vs. Yawara vs. Daito Ryu

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, agreed on the first video. But I was looking for something that wasn't half-TKD sparring and flashy kicks, that showed the technical approach to Hapkido locks etc, and it was the best I could find. If you could find one that you feel represents Hapkido dojang training better, pop it up.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, that's not so easy to say... mainly as it's a tactical approach, rather than a technical difference. Again, as I feel that Choi had some connection, just not anywhere near as extensive as has been claimed, to Daito Ryu, technical similarities would be expected. The construct, though, is largely different, the structure of technique is very different, the feel is very different, and things like a sense of distancing and timing are very different, the angling is different, and more.

Couldn't you say the same thing about daito ryu (as shown in that video) and aikido (take your pick on which version).

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. Which is the point. I really don't understand how this question could even be asked, really, except by people who don't have a clue.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. Which is the point. I really don't understand how this question could even be asked, really, except by people who don't have a clue.

I think you missed the point of the thread, mainly because you are not a hapkido practitioner. But that's ok. Everyone is entitled to chime in on a thread.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, your OP was:

Does anyone think there is a difference between Hapkido, Yukwonsul, Yawara and/or Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu? If so, what are the differences?

In that instance, Daito Ryu is a specific entity, distinct and unique even against it's other off-shoots, so unless it's Daito Ryu, there're going to be differences. Yawara is such a generic term that it needs to be clarified, but again, it's a different art to Hapkido (although that Japanese term was used at a time, that hardly makes Hapkido Yawara in Japanese terms).

If they are different arts (and they are), there are differences, and anyone with half a clue can see that. Being a Hapkido practitioner or not really doesn't enter into it, and if you think it does, then by the same token being a practitioner of Daito Ryu (or having a fair understanding of it, at least), being a practitioner of Yawara etc is just as valid. And when it comes to Yawara, I have some time with arts that use that term.

Or, again, did you mean something different to what you typed?

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, again, did you mean something different to what you typed?

I don't know. I lost concentration about 1/3 into it, when I realized it there were no facts forthcoming, just more argument. Sorry.

Latest Discussions